Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
What do you think of buying boots from Cabelas? I am looking for hunting boots but not for hunting high altitudes like the Rockies. I am asking because I am heading home for Thanksgiving and want to stop at Cabelas to try on their boots since I rather try on what I can buy.

My feet seem to get cold if I sit for 30 minutes or less and sometimes sweat. I figure I was in line to get a better pair of boots. How much thinsulate is too much? I prefer to get the Gore tex boots also. Thinking of the Meindl's for my use but are there other comparables?

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
You can get a pretty good pair of boots at Cabelas, Meindl's might be a good choice depending on your fit and purpose,I personally am pretty comfortable with 200-400 grams of Thinsulate but I spend alot of time walking!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I really like the Meindl boots at Cabelas. I recommend you fit them as they are not true to size. Thinsulate comes in increments of 200 grams. I've been told that each increment of 200gm equals 1 pair of heavy wool socks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Never heard the size being wrong with Meindl's before? My normal size is 13, and that's what my Meindl's are. Good fit.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Whats the intended use? Lots of walking or lots of sitting?

Dad's got the Perfekt Hunters and the Perfekt Hikers. He bought the hikers for hiking, but said they're so comfortable that he wears them every day to work as well. Said the Hunters are good boots, but too much boot for a ton of walking in the pheasant fields.

I think I'm going to try the Meindl Ultralights for an upland boot, if I weren't boot poor as it is right now.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have the Perfekt Hunters. They're 7 years old, and I wear them for hunting, scouting, and everyday wear 365 days a year. I can't wear them suckers out. I'm just now thinking of getting them resoled. I still even have the original laces. Best investment I ever made.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I made the mistake of buying the Cabela's brand of hunting boots. Not the brand name boots already mentioned that they sell, but the general purpose upland game type of boot with their name on them. Worst boots ever. Sizes are inconsistent and there is no ankle support compared to other boots such as Irish Setter or Red Wing or better brands. I would never buy another pair of Cabelas' branded boots. The branded mountain style hunting boots or hiking boots might be better.

For my feet and style of walking and hunting, the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme ,either insulated or uninsulated, are the best and well worth the extra cost. Footwear is such an individual thing you are wise to try them on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really like the Meindl Lite hiker for general wear, uninsulated so take that into account for hunting use.
Haven't put an awful lot of wear on the perfect hunters even though they are 5 years old or so. Had a bad injury during that time that kept me out of the hills for a while. They are pretty stiff, made for the high rough country, but work real well on mountain hunts.

V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Thanks for bringing up the Perfekt Hunters and the Perfekt Hikers. I thought I only saw the Hunters. I do a mix of walking and sitting as it is in the eastern woods and I know out west folks probably walk a lot more. My intention with this post was someone mention that Meindl's are not what they were back in the days but its still the same company right? And another reason to bring this up is I do not want to pick a boot that is exclusively for walking when I do not walk all day. I will check this out at Cabelas (WV) when I drive home and see how they fit. Boot stores are far from here so this is what I plan to do on my way home. (Hate getting cold feet when hunting so this is a primary reason also...thinking of the 400 gram thinsulate and gore-tex.)

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've walked all day in a foot of snow with the Meindl's, and never got cold feet. I don't seem to get cold feet though, so maybe i'm not a good example.

Always stayed dry too.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Never used the Perfekts, I wear a pair of their "Mountain Hiker Light" hikers most of the time. Goretex/non ins and stay warm if I'm moving around. Snow or treestand hunting I wear 400 gram pac boots. I have another pair that are heavier pacs for late season/super cold (<10deg) treestand hunts, (that metal sucks the heat right out of your feet) otherwise I wear the hikers and good socks. No quality issues with Cabela's products here, although I might replace my pacs with Kenetrek or Schnee's pacs someday.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The cabelas Meindl boots are good boots. In my opinion, they are not as good as the boots Meindl sells with just their name on it. Having had several of both, I would only by boots from Meindl if I wanted a boot made by them.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Near all of their boots are molded imports. Get some Whites that will last forever and can be rebuilt.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's unclear how much walking vs. sitting you will do, but it sounds like more sitting than walking as your feet get cold in less than an hour. The miendels are really suited for lots of walking/hiking...very active hunting. I would suggest that whatever you buy be sized a bit on the large side so as to allow your feet plenty of room to circulate and stay warm. I think the meindels go up to maybe 400g of thinsulate. Based on your feet getting cold, you should also try some on that are in the 600-800g range and for that, I'd suggest some danners (maybe the pronghorns or the high grounds).

Whatever you buy, do not go cheap. Especially with hunting boots, you get what you pay for.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Cabelas Mendles mentioned will serve you well. However, be sure and buy only the ones made in Germany. If the description says made in Germany, you are good to go. If it says "imported" don't buy them

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by setch
It's unclear how much walking vs. sitting you will do, but it sounds like more sitting than walking as your feet get cold in less than an hour. The miendels are really suited for lots of walking/hiking...very active hunting. I would suggest that whatever you buy be sized a bit on the large side so as to allow your feet plenty of room to circulate and stay warm. I think the meindels go up to maybe 400g of thinsulate. Based on your feet getting cold, you should also try some on that are in the 600-800g range and for that, I'd suggest some danners (maybe the pronghorns or the high grounds).

Whatever you buy, do not go cheap. Especially with hunting boots, you get what you pay for.

Good post here. I wear 400 grams thinsulite when I'm still hunting or have a lot of hiking. I can sit with 400 grams for 2-3 hours before my feet get cold. I use Cabelas, made by Danner, Elk Hunters with 400 gram thinsulite. I think they've quit making them but they are stitched down sole and capable of being re-built by Danner. Love the Danner bob sole.

When I sit, I have a pair of Rocky 1000 gram Bearclaws. Rocky boots fit me well but they don't last - at least for me. I can burn through a pair of Rockys in less than 2 years. Mine have lasted 5-6 years because I don't wear them often and only to sit.

On Danners, only buy the american made Danners. The imports have issues, notably leaking and durability. Real american made Danners are a well made boot but are a bit pricey. I'm on my third pair in the last 15 years. As long as the quality and air bob sole continues, I'll keep buying them.

I've never owned the Meindl Prefect series but have tried them on several times. If Danner ever changes, I'll go to Meindl's.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Hanwag's would be another great choice but they cost a little more!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I did some research, and it seems some Meindl boots are made in Asia.

The Perfekt isn't one of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had terrible luck with the Cabelas Meindl boots and will never own another pair. Look into the LaCrosse Areo Head boots or one of their insulated rubber knee high boots. My next boot purchase will be a pair of LaCrosse for hunting in swamps and tundra type terrain. My Lowa Sheephunters are still going strong after 6 years of hard use.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I bought the Perfekt Hiker because I do not hunt in snow or extremely cold weather and they are uninsulated. However, their soles, unlike the Hunter, are a molded sole that is soft, to grip well, and wears down really fast. The boots are very comfortable but the soles wear out fast and the boot cannot be resoled. The boot is too expensive to tolerate this.

I have some Danner Pronghorns, uninsulated, made in the US. I've had very good use from them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1Longbow, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,527
Posts18,491,115
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.