Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have one I could let go. 22 inch, interrupted threads,style three barrel address according to Murray's book. Good rifling, original front sight, no rear sight. Bought it this spring for converting a ratty old hi-power but changed my mind.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What a great bunch of guys!! I've had two members come forward in the last 24 hrs. offering a 250 replacement barrel.

My only question now is will I need to have the barrel fitted by a smith or should it simply snap in place and be ready to shoot?

Last edited by TexasShooter; 10/31/13.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking my problem may be solved. I've purchased a 250 TD barrel from one of the two members that contacted me to help with my dilemma. grin

I'm hoping the barrel just snaps into place ready to shoot. Should I take it to a gunsmith to check headspace?

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
It may, or may not, "snap into place". About a 50/50 chance in my experience. If not, don't fret- it'll be real close regardless. A competent smith should be able to tweek it a bit.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
It may, or may not, "snap into place". About a 50/50 chance in my experience. If not, don't fret- it'll be real close regardless. A competent smith should be able to tweek it a bit.

Thank you!

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Given that it threads on smoothly, if it gets tight before indexing 100%, a smith can face a couple thousandths off the back side of the barrel interface. If it goes past full index before it gets tight, put a really thin shim washer on it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks. Hopefully I won't need to know that but if I do have to take it to a smith, I'll pass this along.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The barrel arrived last night. Before I try to swap out the barrels, would someone please remind me of the process for removing and re-installing barrels on the 99 takedown?

Also, I saw somewhere that headspace is a big issue with the 99s. Is that a concern?

As always, Thank you for expert advice.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Simple. Open the action the whole way and leave it open. Unsnap the forend from the barrel. Twist the barrel off, counterclockwise looking at it from the front (Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty). If it resists turning, you can try using the little square steel nut imbedded in the forearm channel in its intended purpose as a wrench, so to speak, by putting the takedown latch hook in it and gently turning it (not highly recommended as the wood surrounding it is fragile). A stubborn TD barrel can pose problems with many solutions for its removal- ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous. If you get stymied by one, stop and consult we pros, soothsayers, and general factotums here at Savages-R-Us.

Re-insertion is done in the reverse. (You did leave the action open didn't you?) Just make sure the slots in the bottom of the barrel and the front of the receiver line up so the lug in the forend iron can engage both at the same time.

I'll give the engineers/artisans at Savage of old to have had their sh*t together regarding manufacturing tolerances. If the new barrel turns in and indexes properly, chances are pretty good that the headspace will be OK. (But for peace of mind, and to absolve me of any liability smile , it's best to check it with a gauge or take to someone who can.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 11/13/13.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you Sir!!

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry to post a live auction, but with only four hours left with no bids...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200989008497?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

LOL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Simple. Open the action the whole way and leave it open. Unsnap the forend from the barrel. Twist the barrel off, counterclockwise looking at it from the front (Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty). If it resists turning, you can try using the little square steel nut imbedded in the forearm channel in its intended purpose as a wrench, so to speak, by putting the takedown latch hook in it and gently turning it (not highly recommended as the wood surrounding it is fragile). A stubborn TD barrel can pose problems with many solutions for its removal- ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous. If you get stymied by one, stop and consult we pros, soothsayers, and general factotums here at Savages-R-Us.

Re-insertion is done in the reverse. (You did leave the action open didn't you?) Just make sure the slots in the bottom of the barrel and the front of the receiver line up so the lug in the forend iron can engage both at the same time.

I'll give the engineers/artisans at Savage of old to have had their sh*t together regarding manufacturing tolerances. If the new barrel turns in and indexes properly, chances are pretty good that the headspace will be OK. (But for peace of mind, and to absolve me of any liability smile , it's best to check it with a gauge or take to someone who can.)

You say to turn counterclockwise to loosen if looking at it from front. By front do you mean by looking at it from the muzzle end.
I just purchased a 99G takedown in 300 Savage that was manufactured in 1937. I want to take the barrel off. I currently have it in the gun vise with the lever facing up. With it in this position would I turn the barrel counterclockwise to loosen the barrel? Also, what are some of the "tricks of the trade" to remove a difficult barrel?
Thanks.

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Facing the muzzle, turn the barrel counterclockwise. Be sure the action is open. If it doesn't respond to reasonable pressure, ask the guys here again...many threads on this in the past...some ridiculous, as gnoahhh stated. Probably best to take it to a competent gunsmith unless you, unlike me, are naturally good with tools and obstinate inanimate objects!

ps: there is also an old thread on this forum that tells how to gently tap the threads on the barrel to make it fit if there is simply a minimal amount of misfit...I've used it and it works...just can't find the thread. With mine, the barrel turned past the proper index position, so using a very light small face hammer, I gently tapped the threads (almost a scraping motion, and VERY gentle)away from the muzzle...very quickly fitted. If this doesn't do it, shim it. On another of my rifles, the new barrel couldn't make it to index. I took it to a smith who shaved about a couple of thousands of a millimeter off the barrel and it worked fine. Good luck with yours.
John

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thank you johnsavage. Barrel remove smoothly. Thanks for your help.
thom

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (257Bob, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,590
Posts18,511,150
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.