Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It's better to be a winner than a loser.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
Have a look at the Yahi tribe and the story of "Ishi". Accounts state that the Indian hunters preferred "other" methods of killing the kids because rifles messed them up so bad.

In 1865 the government paid out over 1 million dollars in Indian bounties.

But keep buying oil, times be good in Oklahoma.

With my work in traditional archery I have done a lot of research on Ishi.

The paid Indian hunters switched to pistols when they were blowing the brains out of the Indian kids hiding in caves on Mt. Lassen.

Many years later Ishi walked down off that mountain; �The Last of his Tribe.�

Everyone in his world had been killed directly or indirectly by the white man.
And he forgave us.

It was the California government who paid those bounties.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I wonder if the Mexicans hang their heads in shame about killing all those folks in the Alamo?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Much as I respect Jared Diamond...

Jared Diamond argues convincingly that the inferior quality of the crops available to native Americans (in terms of protein content, primarily) when compared to the cereal grains of Eurasia meant that these populations were highly dependent on having sources of animal protein in their diet, which meant hunting and fishing....

how much animal protein are we talking in terms of grams per day? Westerners commonly think animal consumption on the scale of steaks and hamburgers, or buffalo feasts like on "Dances With Wolves". I've experienced three years of a diet where just a couple of fish or meat scraps were served with just one of the three meals each day. I'd guess about ten dressed mice carcasses a week would have easily equalled that amount (and not far off, wild rodents were a common item on the menu).

Diamond also disputes De Soto's population claims, based on archaeological research.

Here's Diamond in 1992, estimating 20 million in North America followed by a 95% decline due to disease.

http://discovermagazine.com/1992/oct/thearrowofdiseas137

20 million is the same order of magnitude as other estimates (55 million is the highest estimate I can recall).

And 5% after De Soto would imply a 400% increase over the subsequent two centuries when Indian populations were still just an estimated 20% of original numbers. Not a bad rate of increase in view of the repeated epidemics that continued to occur.

Yes, Indians obtained iron implements by trade with white Americans, but until they assimilated into white society to a larger extent they were incapable of crafting metals themselves, so technologically they were still Neolithic peoples.

Just wondering about the terminology: Back to those same Cherokees, a people actually assembled from 17th Century post-epidemic remnants of earlier tribes. At some point they were in bark longhouses, stone and bone tools etc...

By the mid 18th Century they were receiving tons of European goods annually (of which weaponry was just a part), and by the early 19th Century they were still self-governing, but had plantations, carpenters, blacksmiths, schools, printers, a written language and a newspaper.

..and one of their principal chiefs, Crazy James Vann, was one of the wealthiest men in America.

But they were still independent enough that politically they were a self-governing foreign entity and as such were expelled en-masse during removal.

At what point prior to Removal would you say they were assimilated into White society?

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder if the Mexicans hang their heads in shame about killing all those folks in the Alamo?

Well, ten years later Texians and Americans would kill several times that number of Mexican civilians in Mexico, of which grown men were but a fraction, and men bearing arms even less yet..

Lay the slaughter of mostly very recent illegal immigrant male combatants attempting to forcibly remove 20% of Mexico from that country at Santa Anna's feet if ya want, but no one accuses him of killing women and children, not in that Second Texas War of Independence anyway (the first one, involving about as many combatants from the same places fighting in the about the same areas, occurred in 1813. Spain won.).

The greater point being this historical he said, she said can go on forever.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you for making my point. The indians did NOT mine, smelt, or forge any of their own iron or steel. They got what they had through trade

About like the Irish up until the 1500's or so, prob'ly for the same reasons.

Was Daniel Boone primitive too? He lived in the same locations as the Indians in question at the same time, at pretty much the exact same technological level as the Indians. Never heard a word about him mining, smelting or forging any of his own iron or steel.

Birdwatcher

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by shrapnel

If you paid Orkin to rid your house of termites, you wouldn't tell them to just kill the older male termites.

It was over 100 years ago and life was different then and we don't understand it. It should be nothing more than history without blame...

That's certainly an interesting perspective you have there. I wonder if you feel the same way about the Nazis and Hitler, or Stalin and the Red Army, or The Japanese in Manchuria? After all, it happened several decades ago, and we really don't understand it. It should just be history without blame, right?

ego operor non tutela
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by hatari
The history of Mankind is all about conquest. The ones on the winning side lived better than the vanquished.

Today, that pattern is still at work in a variety of ways. Nuclear weapons are a bit destructive, so now the new tactic is immigration & procreation - move in and out birth your enemy.

Your enemy is so stupid that they will stop having kids and you can wipe them out in a couple of generations without violence. In the meantime, use their own laws against them. Use the media for propaganda and warp the popular culture. Encourage the demise of their nuclear family while keeping yours strong.

Yep, same goal just different methods.

Eerily prophetic.....

Like the hordes of Indians washed away the whites, enabled by cap, ball and cannon so the whites now are now to be wiped out by the blacks and browns enabled by the liberals and commies of Hollywood and the forces of our own .gov.

Last edited by eyeball; 10/31/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the last 10,000 years of this type of behavior is easily and effortlessly described and explained in Daniel Quinn's cult classic My Ishmael.

boiled down to it's essence, it says the Naked Ape with the best technology wins everytime.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
...how much animal protein are we talking in terms of grams per day?

Mike, I'm not sure what we're arguing about here.

But to amplify the discussion about food crops... protein content isn't the sole determinant of a crop's value to a society. It's a cost-benefit analysis. As Diamond says in his book, p. 151:

"A modern nutritionist would have applauded these seven eastern U.S. crops. ALl of them were high in protein... Two of them, sunflower and sumpweed, were also high in oil. Sumpweed would have been a nutritionist's dream, being 32 percent protein and 45 percent oil. Why aren't we still eating those dream foods today? ... these crops suffered from seriou disadvantages in other respects... sumpweed is wind-pollinated relative of ragweed... [that] has a strong odor objectionable to most people and that handling it can cause skin irritation."

It was only after Mexican crops (corn, beans, and squash) were imported to the eastern U.S. around AD 1100 that agriculture began to intensify along the Mississippi River and its tributaries. But even then the farmers were limited by "...five major disadvantages vis-a-vis Eurasian agriculture: widespread dependence on protein-poor corn, instead of Eurasias diverse package of protein-rich cereals; hand planting of individual seeds, instead of broadcast sowing; tilling by hand instead of plowing by animals, which enables one person to cultivate a much larger area, and which also permits cultivation of fertile but tough soils and sods that are difficult to till by hand; lack of animal manuring to increase soil fertility; and having to rely on just human muscle power, instead of animal power, for agricultural tasks such as threshing, grinding, and irrigation."

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

At what point prior to Removal would you say they were assimilated into White society?

Birdwatcher

That's not the point, and if you re-read my post you'll see I said that western Plains Indians had gone from using stone age technology to wholesale adoption of iron age technology in less than 25 years. I never said anything about assimilation into white society.

I've had a good deal of experience in interaction with northern Plains Indians over the past 40 years or so. I can't speak for them, but it's my impression that they are far from "assimilated".

But they've adopted and adapted to the use of modern technology with alacrity.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All that is tragic. But, small potatoes if you know and or think about the Comanche's.

What did the U.S. Military call them?

Anyone?

Anyone?

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Redskins?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you for making my point. The indians did NOT mine, smelt, or forge any of their own iron or steel. They got what they had through trade

About like the Irish up until the 1500's or so, prob'ly for the same reasons.

Was Daniel Boone primitive too? He lived in the same locations as the Indians in question at the same time, at pretty much the exact same technological level as the Indians. Never heard a word about him mining, smelting or forging any of his own iron or steel.

Birdwatcher

I'm not talking about individuals. I am talking about culture, and their progress. Europe had passed into the iron age long, long, long ago. The Americas had not reached that point. Indians in America were not living in the iron age prior to the settlement of Europeans. Simple fact. Ergo, they were in what? The bronze age? No. They were in the stone age. Period. Irrefutable fact. I don't know why that is so bitter a pill to swallow. I'm not saying they were ape-men, or if you believe in evolution that they were further down the ladder. Simply that they were in the stone age prior to European settlement.

That is not an opinion, it is a fact.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doc,

Jared Diamond writes some interesting books, but is not the last word, or even the first, on a lot of this stuff. A lot of the eastern seaboard may have been literally DECIMATED, before significant contact.

Epidemics of measles, smallpox, etc, the diseases the europeans had some resistance too, from years of animal husbandry, spread like wildfire, from indian to indian, band to band, tribe to tribe, so that indians who never saw a whiteman died from disease.

A good book on pre-columbian populations is "1491".

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am amazed that their epidemiologists did not discover a cure before the boat loads of evil white men came ashore in larger numbers. What with them being such an advanced society and all...........

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I am amazed that their epidemiologists did not discover a cure before the boat loads of evil white men came ashore in larger numbers. What with them being such an advanced society and all...........

where are you getting that from?

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Stone and copper

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MarlinMark
All that is tragic. But, small potatoes if you know and or think about the Comanche's.

What did the U.S. Military call them?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Target?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,625 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.