Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chrome Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've killed a truck load of deer with the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Probably my favorite deer bullet out of the .250-3000 and 25 WSSM.

Has anyone used the 85 grain Ballistic Tip on deer ? Its advertised as a varmint bullet, but when sectioned it looks like the 100 grain BT.

[Linked Image]

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
They kill deer...

Difference is mostly in the core... Big Game BTs use a harder lead/antimony core... the Varmint BTs use a very soft pure lead core.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've seen sectioned varmint versions that didn't have the thickening jacket taper toward the base the one in that pic does. Maybe that one is in between.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't tried them yet, but I have a box that I was going to load up in my .257 Wthby for prairie dogs just to use them up and see how far I could hit one at.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Chrome Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Planning on ordering a reamer for the 25-45 Sharps and have been researching which bullets would suit my needs. Of course velocity is way down from typical usage.

The hollow point is a little larger on the 85 grain.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Chrome,

Are you going to give the 85 grain a try on whitetails out of a .250 Savage?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shot a cow elk, years back right between the eyes with an 85gr Ballistic tip out of my 257 weatherby. Elk hit the ground so quickly, thought I had missed. My buddy said he had never seen anything like it. No ruined meat for sure. Very low recoil out of the .25 caliber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What was the striking velocity or the range and the muzzle velocity? What did the necropsy reveal?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A young guy on longrangehunting _ 25-06 remingtonman -killed an elk with a 25-06/85gr NBT worked out pretty good obviously.
It just happened to be the rifle he had in hand when he saw an elk --and filled his tag.

I tried these bullets out on coyotes with a load of 4831sc [25-06] -they hammer coyotes -shot one in Idaho -texas heart shot -felt like a water balloon when I picked him up.
Broke his hip bones -many ribs etc. bleeding from mouth -nose and ears .
I have a full box that I'm going to use on smallish eater pigs here in Florida -and would think nothing of popping a large hog in the right spot ---but there are definitely better bullets for big game animals.
Deer/antelope --no problem -but 100's or 115's would still give better performance up close.
Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I would NOT recommend trying the 85 grain Ballistic Tip Nosler on anything larger than a ground hog. This bullet was great when it first came out, we shot deer, hogs, bears, etc. with it.

Then Nosler decided to "improve" it. They made the hollow point larger and made it a dedicated varmint bullet. It will expand like nothing you have ever seen.

I gave up on it after shooting a number of coyotes with my 25-06. This bullet will not give the penetration of a 50 grain BT out of a 22-250!

Having said that, what that bullet will do to large varmints like gound hogs or jack rabbits has to been seen to believed.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
R Flowers has a very valid point. The. Bullets I was using were the older style.
They were much better back then. My old friend gave me a bunch to try that had been sitting on his shelf for years. The only reason I went with the 85gr is because at the time I wasn't allowed to shoot a heavy recoiling rifle. The load was very reduced. My 25-06 or Bob would have done okay too, but the .257 Weatherby is dear to my heart and is worthy of handling an elk. I've gone to premium bullets now, but shoot only a few practice bullets each year to preserve the barrel life.

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 11/02/13.
Chrome Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was hoping that some guys have used it at long range where the velocity was low on deer or pronghorn, maybe as a low recoil alternative to a heavier bullet.

Impact velocity would be in the 2,400 fps range out of the .25-223

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I know the 70gr 6mm ballistic tip kills [bleep].

Hard telling from a yote. I've hit them with a 165gr Ballistic tip from an 06 and thought 'Gee, this shouldn't work on deer', but they do.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by R_Flowers
I would NOT recommend trying the 85 grain Ballistic Tip Nosler on anything larger than a ground hog. This bullet was great when it first came out, we shot deer, hogs, bears, etc. with it.

Then Nosler decided to "improve" it. They made the hollow point larger and made it a dedicated varmint bullet. It will expand like nothing you have ever seen.

I gave up on it after shooting a number of coyotes with my 25-06. This bullet will not give the penetration of a 50 grain BT out of a 22-250!

Having said that, what that bullet will do to large varmints like gound hogs or jack rabbits has to been seen to believed.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I bought several boxes [85 NBT] around the 2007 time frame -they seem to be quite a lot tougher than the 75gr vmax.
The performance you describe sounds like what I've had with the vmax.
Absolute explosion on impact.

Chrome at those speeds they should do great.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the 165 BT?

Originally Posted by "Guy Miner"
Got out with a favorite rifle today, and tested a favorite load & bullet, the same combination I used to take a young whitetail buck a few months ago.

Used the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip from my .308 Win, loaded in a Federal case, with 45 grains of Varget and a CCI 200 BR primer. Muzzle velocity was 2750 fps in 48 degree temps today. Accuracy of the load is terrific from the 24" Krieger on my Rem 700 Green Machine. The water jugs were 20 yards distant:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Expanded diameter is .67" and retained weight is 112 grains. The bullet was recovered from the 5th jug and looks like a real nice mushroom to me. No wonder this bullet does so well on deer sized game. It's hardly the "fragile" bullet some label the Ballistic Tip. The B-Tip exited the young whitetail buck last November with a 2" high, 4" long exit wound through the ribcage after penetrating the on-side shoulder and dropping him instantly. He had been standing, quartering towards me, at about 70 yards.

A favorite bullet of mine for both accuracy and effect on target.

Guy

μολὼν λαβέ

Chrome Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I know the 70gr 6mm ballistic tip kills [bleep].

Hard telling from a yote. I've hit them with a 165gr Ballistic tip from an 06 and thought 'Gee, this shouldn't work on deer', but they do.

What bullets are you running in your small 6mm's this year?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Fotis
the 165 BT?

Got out with a favorite rifle today, and tested a favorite load & bullet, the same combination I used to take a young whitetail buck a few months ago.

Used the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip from my .308 Win, loaded in a Federal case, with 45 grains of Varget and a CCI 200 BR primer. Muzzle velocity was 2750 fps in 48 degree temps today. Accuracy of the load is terrific from the 24" Krieger on my Rem 700 Green Machine. The water jugs were 20 yards distant:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Expanded diameter is .67" and retained weight is 112 grains. The bullet was recovered from the 5th jug and looks like a real nice mushroom to me. No wonder this bullet does so well on deer sized game. It's hardly the "fragile" bullet some label the Ballistic Tip. The B-Tip exited the young whitetail buck last November with a 2" high, 4" long exit wound through the ribcage after penetrating the on-side shoulder and dropping him instantly. He had been standing, quartering towards me, at about 70 yards.

Guy

What ain't you grasping?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
70gr BT and I plan to give the 87gr VLD a try.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Fotis
the 165 BT?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guy

What ain't you grasping?

I am sorry I do not follow. confused

I am grasping. I just posted the above for the doubters that the new BT's are not the same as the softer old ones.

μολὼν λαβέ

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Who said the 165 was? All I said is that using a yote as an example don't necessarily mean much. I've seen them shot with stuff and would have thunk, 'Gee, I wouldn't use that bullet on a deer' but have used that bullet on a deer with no problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.