Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
This has always been something I struggle with. Getting cold has ruined lots of my hunts and is the main reason I don't do much late season hunting. I thought it would be nice to hear what you all do to stay warm while on a stand.

I have been eyeing up the Thermacell Heated Insoles & am curious if they work or not for still hunting. Like to maybe give them a try. Also, been looking at the Zippo Hand Warmer. I like to avoid dragging too much gear with me to the timber, but if these gadgets can keep me comfortable and on stand longer ... I'm all for it! I layer my clothing best I can and usually keep my body fairly warm. My feet and hands are always what get the best of me.

Lets hear it.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Arctic shield outerwear and boot blankets, good compression fit under layers.

Circulation is key for hands and feet.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A hand warmer in your left shirt pocket and a " hot head".

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The zippo handwamers or other similiar handwarmers fueled by lighter fluid work very well. They are more reliable and last longer then the disposible kind that are activated when exposed to air. Electropion mitts, socks, and insoles are too hard to control and I have not found them to be reliable from one season to anothr.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I always thought the Heater bodysuits looked like they'd work good but they seem like they'd be a pain in the ass to hunt in

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
eat alot of high carb,high fat food.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use one of those tube looking pouches that go around your waist (like some of the football players wear) with a couple chemical warmers in it. Works pretty good. Much easier to keep your hands in than your pockets.

Also use pack boots with chemical warmers. They seem to get extra hot when you are walking in though. I prefer to put them in once I get in the stand.

Hot coffee every couple of hours is a must.

PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. Don't wear your heavy clothes on the hike in. Put on your outer layer when you get to your stand.

2. Layers. Base layer of silk or synthetic. No cotton in your base layer. Cotton kills is the old saying.

3. Liner socks with a merino wool outer sock. Boots that fit correctly for multiple layers.

4. Good wind blocking layer.

5. Good headgear. A ball cap doesn't cut it.

6. Supplement with hot hands and toastie toes. I prefer toastie toes because they are thin and adhesive. One toastie toe on the bottom of each foot BETWEEN the liner and outer sock. One toastie toe over each kidney between undershirt and shirt. One hot hands in each pocket.

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
First a good hat that is insulated
Then good socks and boots that aren't tight
The a Clava or something else to keep the wind off you neck, and hot air coming out of your jacket tight to your face
Then carry a small thermos with hot stuff to drink
candy bars
and 2 small hand warmers in each pocket.

Cabelas EWCS long johns are head and shoulders above others.
Don't wear tee shirts, or cotton socks under thermals
Last a good coat and wind proof pants

wool works great if you buy thin sweaters it's all good, especially merino wool

that's it

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Eat! Your body can burn crazy amounts of calories just trying to keep warm. I

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Boot blankets,
hand warmers,
chemical packets you can crush and put in your boots,
Glove-mitts: work like mittens to keep your hands warm but fold back into a glove for shooting.
Clava for neck warming
Blinds, for states that allow them. Keeps you out of the wind and allows a little bit of movement without being seen, also kills sounds to some extent.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I'm a wool lover. Smart wool long johns and undershirt. Silk socks with wool boot socks over. Sorel packs if it's really cold, otherwise muck boots. Wool pants/flannel shirt/Berber fleece jacket if dry out, dry plus jacket when rain/snow. Love my bomber hat in the cold and a pair of rag wool glove/mitts on my hands. I've carried chemical packs, but find i usually don't get cold enough to heed them for my hands and usually just use the boot liner ones for my feet.

Granted, this is only my experience with 15-20*F and a total of three days on stand last season (my first season actually hunting), but plenty of time winter camping through my life.

Brandon Gleason
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That's why I carry a large day pack. Allows me to carry extra clothing.
If you are sitting on the ground, a foam pad for the butt.
Hands, head and legs for extra clothing. Base layer that keeps you dry. E

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Get out of the stand and move. I figure you got a better chance of flaming one whilst moving vice warming yourself in the house.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Get out of the stand and move.
Good & safe advise given by SH if you do not want to freeze.

I've stepped out of my blind to stretch,air boxing,walk,squat,ect. Whatever it takes to keep warm.

Cuddling yourself up in a fetal position is not the answer!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Grow more hair. If you're going to sit with the squirrels. You might as well look like one.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a pair of boot blankets, take your boots off and put a heavy pair of looser socks on and throw in some heater packs. You're feet will stay warm.

I'm tempted to try a heater body suit, but have previously just brought a heavy old blanket (scent free).

And/or buy one of those little heaters, can't think of the name right now.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
try those therma care heat wraps for lower back pain and a hand/foot warmer(s) if you need them.

I've only used those hand warmers a couple of times when I lived up north.

most of the time we're above zero where I live now so not much need for them

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PMC
1. Don't wear your heavy clothes on the hike in. Put on your outer layer when you get to your stand.

2. Layers. Base layer of silk or synthetic. No cotton in your base layer. Cotton kills is the old saying.

3. Liner socks with a merino wool outer sock. Boots that fit correctly for multiple layers.

4. Good wind blocking layer.

5. Good headgear. A ball cap doesn't cut it.

6. Supplement with hot hands and toastie toes. I prefer toastie toes because they are thin and adhesive. One toastie toe on the bottom of each foot BETWEEN the liner and outer sock. One toastie toe over each kidney between undershirt and shirt. One hot hands in each pocket.
Great advice here, and I'll just expand on it a bit. Layer up, and when walking in before sunrise, carry you outer layer in with you-don't wear it in. If you're sweating, you need to slow down or shed layers or both. Many years ago I bought an old Army insulated field coat liner and carry it in in my backpack. If I get chilly, that goes on and makes a huge difference. Can't stress the importance of a poly layer against your hide-socks, bottoms and tops. Don't skimp on cheap socks. Buy good socks and you won't worry about cold feet. I hear lots of guys this fall talking about those boot warmers you wear over top of your boots. Seems like a good idea and I might give that a try too. Always carry at least two hats. I wear a ball cap to walk in, so I don't overheat, and then switch to a stocking cap once I'm on stand. If it warms up later, I'll go back to the ball cap. Extra gloves is a good idea too. Chemical handwarmers are cheap and work good. Be sure to take some warm liquids. A small thermos isn't too heavy and fits nicely in the pack. Be sure to eat several times throughout the day, as even sitting still, you will burn quite a few calories.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
GOOD socks. I can sit for 3 days if my feet stay warm. Loose boots. Keep your head, feet, and neck warm and you'll be fine.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1moredeer, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,533
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.