Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've never been dumb enough to just pack one knife in the backcountry, and usually my spare, or back-up, has been a folder of some variety. Usually a Spyderco Delica. I've been a fan of Spyderco for a lot of years. They may not be made out of the latest and greatest super steels, but they don't rust and they take a hell of an edge off of crock sticks as long as you're not a caveman to your knives. My issue with a folder is quite simple. I hunt... So that means it'll eventually wind up covered in blood and guts. There isn't a folding knife made that is easy to get the blood and guts out of.

Last winter, at EdT's Winter Rondy (which as far as I can tell is an excuse to get drunk in the woods and discuss the finer points of back country living) he talked quite a bit about neck knives, and how handy they are. Especially when you need a knife and you have a pack on. Lets face it, most of us decide we didn't need a knife that bad and move on... This is how good tinder gets passed up (or other backcountry blessings)

So, I kept my eye out for a CRKT S.P.E.W just like the guru's. I figured I'd settle for a Warncliffe Minimalist also. Well, last summer I was at the local Army Navy and saw some CRKT knives and looked for either of their neck knives. They didn't stock either of them. But they did have a Doug Ritter RSK MK5. For 25 bucks, I couldn't pass it up. I figured I'd play with it a while and sell it to a fellow Millbilly after I found out it wouldn't work.

However... It turns out it's 1 ounce of little knife badass, and does everything I could ask for. Woodsbumming through summer and bow season it took care of fish and grouse just fine, as well as assorted other random bullshit.

http://www.crkt.com/Ritter-RSK-Mk5

The trick to making this little bastid really work, is to hack off the 8 foot long lanyard it comes with, and tie a loop big enough that you can hang it off your pinky and have the rest of the handle lay in your hand the way you would use a bigger handled knife.

When it's not in my Kit Bag, it's hanging around my neck. Or, I'm in civilization wearing cotton, and have a Spyderco in my pocket.

Oh, being it's a carbon steel knife, the two holes in the blade do a great job raping sparks out of a Firesteel in case you lose your striker.

I'm still looking for a S.P.E.W. by the way... I'm also curious what all is out there for neck knives?

stolen from interwebs photo
[Linked Image]

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Still want...

I'm Irish...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lately for hunting I carry a Havalon Edge and a Knives of Alaska "Elk Hunter". It's a good lightweight combo for me.

I bought a KA-BAR Becker necker that I rarely use, but I'm slowly warming up to it.

Last edited by KCBighorn; 11/02/13.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
and next time I'm in Clancy I'm going to have to check one of these out.

[Linked Image]

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
KC, I just can't do the Havalon thing...

Right now, I do the Jim Riley, CRKT thing.

I'm Irish...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Havalon, 2 extra blades and a Vic

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I usually run the fire knife in the pack then a victorinox folder in my kit bag. I also like the vicki parer in my white trash vinyl siding sheath. I was just given a little buck like you show but the sheath weighs as much as the knife. Pretty sure the vicki parer is still lighter.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A neck knife is usually a good idea and is out of the way so you tend to have it on you. I say it's a great primary and not just a back up though wink

The fact that it's around your neck and not easy to lose or forget means you'll more likely not need a back up.

The ESEE Izula is a great little knife but I actually went a touch smaller with a custom that has 2" blade and 3.5" handle. I made a simple and compact kydex sheath for it and use a Canadian jamb knot on the p-cord for slip away safety.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 11/03/13.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That Izula with a paracord wrap is a great little knife. I gave mine to my daughter and must get another. Great little knife but not a good skinner unless you wanted to replace that paracord when it got rotten smelling.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Havalon.

I hope the guys carrying neck knives aren't using p-cord as a lanyard. Bad ju-ju if it somehow gets hooked around something, as the 550 lb. breaking strength means you're going to be strangled by your own neck knife before that cord breaks.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been trying the Havalon this year. So far just a partial bear skinning and disassembly. I like it, but can't see it ever replacing a real knife in my pack. So it's just more to carry, and what's the point?

The Bark River Bravo Necker in 3V is a dandy little neck knife, with the (overpriced) option of handle scales, if wanted. I've been happy with mine and have really become a big fan of that steel.

Last edited by Wrongside; 11/03/13.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Havalon.

I hope the guys carrying neck knives aren't using p-cord as a lanyard. Bad ju-ju if it somehow gets hooked around something, as the 550 lb. breaking strength means you're going to be strangled by your own neck knife before that cord breaks.

Like I mentioned above --> Canadian jamb knot slips away

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Havalon.

That's when I deploy the backup to my backup.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My neck knife is my primary knife too. I use it for most everything, and butchering knives (vickys) are in the pack.

Here is how I rig all my neck knives. Allows the loop to be big enough to go around my noggin, but then tighten up to ride high for easier access. I had previously burned the ends of the cord, but letting them fray is significantly more comfortable. It rides next to my skin, under all clothes, and I really don't worry about the strangulation issue.

Also a handy place to keep electrical tape...

[Linked Image]

I had taped the handle of one of these with hockey tape. I think I cleaned one deer before I decided that was a mistake... hair stuck to everything, and it was a huge goat [bleep].

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DanAdair
[Linked Image]

Still want...
I'd sure hate to have to skin an elk with that.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Some years ago I picked up this little knife and it has been a constant ever since. Holds an edge very well, I believe the steel is ATS-34 if I recall. I added the paracord to the handle and sheath and a vacuum packed fire kit consisting of waterproof matches, tinder and striker under the paracord. Since this picture was taken I have added a small firesteel kit and a fishing kit to the backside and a X-Light Micro to the front. So a pretty complete kit and so small and light I don't even notice that I'm wearing it.

[Linked Image]

And a link to Randall King Knives (RKK):

http://www.randallkingknives.com/

Another oddity.....the whole package is Made in the USA....don't know how that happened. wink

max

Old single shots and old loading tools.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I've never been dumb enough to just pack one knife in the backcountry, and usually my spare, or back-up, has been a folder of some variety.

Christ, I am becoming the azzhole contrarian all the sudden. Why do I need two knives that do the same thing? grin

Actually, I am being serious. Why do I need to include two items that do the same thing? Maybe you have different uses for each knife. I can maybe buy into that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What happens when you lose your one knife? Things can turn into bad doo-doo in a hurry if a survival situation arises.

Nearly as bad, you lose your knife without realizing it, shoot an animal, and have nothing but sharp rocks to cut it up with. That's when it might be handy to be shooting an Ultra Mega Awesomo Mag, because you can just shoot the animal a few more times and completely eviscerate it, turning it into small enough chunks to fit into a backpack.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What happens when you lose your one......

Crap, now I have to double up on every thing.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Maybe you are the only guy in the world who has never lost a knife before. I know I've lost a couple.

The question is, why wouldn't you pack a spare? I generally use a heavier knife for joints and such anyway, so it's no bother. If it's close to dark, instead of stopping to sharpen your only knife, simply switch over. No downside (other than a few ounces of extra weight), lots of upsides.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 45 invisible), 1,510 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,460
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.