Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone else seeing few birds?
Been out quite a few times now, and not seeing many.
Too warm up north to get em moving?

Last edited by splattermatic; 11/03/13.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We hunt SW Iowa which is only 35 miles across the Missouri.My son and his pards have been out to our lake four times and haven't been doing much either..lots of garbage ducks but I won't go until we see some pintails and red legs move into the local refuge..just way too warm up North.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Garbage ducks, huh? I'll take a limit of widgeon, gadwall, teal, etc. over a limit of stupid park ducks any day. Mallard pursits make me giggle.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by quackaddict; 11/04/13.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Quack, pretty pics on SCDucks of the dog, just saw them, nice legs on the ducks!

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks RR. You ought to hop a train on out here and shoot a duck with me.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by quackaddict
Garbage ducks, huh? I'll take a limit of widgeon, gadwall, teal, etc. over a limit of stupid park ducks any day. Mallard pursits make me giggle.

[Linked Image]

Doubtful you've hunted late season Midwest mallards,,that makes me giggle..

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've hunted late season mallards...they're fun. But if you think that mallards and pintails are the only ducks that aren't "garbage ducks", you sure are a closed-minded fella.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You never asked what I consider garbage ducks either.We have tons of spoonies,coots,bluebills and fishducks in here right now as usual for this time of year but widgeons and gadwalls aren't here yet in good numbers,and no I don't classify them as "garbage".Our blue wings came through really early this fall when we were still in the drought and most are South but have seen some greenwing arrivals lately so maybe that'll give us better days to come..

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shoot some coots and fry up some gizzards laugh

Bluebills are sporty, and shovelers sure do decoy good...gotta work out the rust before the real birds make it down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Roger that on the tune up that's what the boys are doing but ole Dad doesn't need one! whistle grin

Woody
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hahaha. I'm thinking that I might be able to add a fat park duck to the strap this coming weekend. According to our bird counts, we had a big push of birds last week and that included some mallards. One thing's for sure...nothing will respond to a call like a mallard will. Especially a lone drake.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wouldn't put these on the wall if they were garbage. smile

[Linked Image]

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wink

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Up here along the border got a little snow last night and it looks like a lot more ducks moved ion last night. we're doing well, dogs tire and the dog is tired. Hunted the coast last week and had thousands of widgeon spread out as far as you could see on the eel grass beds, couldn't keep the teal and pintails out of the decoys but that's ok because they eat so well. Now were out on the desert and its widgeon mllards and teal. We've been doing so well it is hard tobelieve there is almost three more months of duckin. Shooting a cute little 20ga sxs and a Husqvarna 51 Hammer shotgun .

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not fair - up here we only get about two months at most, then the ice sends them packing!

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yea, but you get a lot more in your bag limits, and most of them are nice and fat off of grain fields. Not too mention they're nice a dumb up there compared to a mallard that has been hunted from way up there to way down here for 5 months straight.

Last edited by quackaddict; 11/06/13.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
8 ducks a day limit, some restriction on canvasback & redhead.

I do my best to not educate any that come near.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For some reason, I was thinking it was a few more than that. I'll swap you a hunt next year...I come up there for an early field hunt for fat mallards, you come down here in Jan for variety and birds for the wall.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If he comes be sure to take him to Hatch for the green chili cheeseburger at Sparkies.

A trip to NM just for the food is worth it.

Hop you have more water down there than you did last winter.

Hope to be in LC NM for coyote hunting in Feb.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never had a burger from Sparky's, but their pulled pork tacos/burritos are the chit. Eat there after almost every duck hunt.

We've got a lot more water in the lakes than we did last year. You coming to the PM hunt?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (1lessdog, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 41 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,205
Posts18,503,819
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.