Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'm curious where everyone is getting their reloading supplies now a day? I'm just starting new to reloading and was wondering where I should start to get supplies. Oh and one hurdle.... I'm in NY, near Syracuse.

HR IC

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I managed to get everything I needed to start loading for my 243. The hardest part was the powder. None of the ones I researched and planned to get were in stock. Out of the few that were in stock and after a quick google search I got 2000-mr and r17 since others were using it with my calibers and they seemed to be able to work with all my rifles. The only problem is that there is not exact work ups of my exact bullets I plan to use. I'm not sure where to start. The shop I got them from did have some imr 4895 and hodgdon 4895. Should I have gotten that instead? After getting home and doing more research it looked like the 4895 is more popular. I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be great!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With powder hard to come by these days I'd try what you have and see what you can do. Start low and work up and all should be fine. Be skeptical of internet reloading info. Some guys like to push it a little hard for my liking. Look for the pressure signs and you will be good.

What bullets are you planning on using?

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in the Cuse from 2004 to 2009. Your screwed.
Best place to get components is here. For bullets, dies and brass that is. Powder and primers? Check Bass Pro in Auburn. Book mark Midsouth shooters supply and Shooters Pro shop. Midway usa has some good deals but sell out quick. If you need a hard to find item post a want to buy here. What are you in need of? I might have something to help you get started. Shoot me a pm.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A reloading manual from your bullet manufacturer would be a great help.

Denny.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks! I just went and picked up supplies to get me started. I bought a box of hornady 87 gr vmax in 243 and for my 7mm-08 I grabbed a box of 150gr rem accutips and 150gr nosler ballistic tips. I'm really open to bullets but I wanted to get something cheap till I can figure this out and find the grove to be able to know what I'm doing

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Powder mfg's have data online for you to use....

You still need a hard copy of a current manual too...

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

http://www.nosler.com/7mm-08-remington

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've looked at the online guides but none have my component, like the hodgdons sit does not have 87gr vmax. Can I just use a bullet that's similar and use it's work up?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Powder mfg's cannot list each & every bullet made for their data

Always start low & work up & watch for any pressure signs...

Yes you should have bought the H4895....good stuff & scarce

Please don't use the 87 V max on anything bigger than a coyote...

smile

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks! I think I might go back and get a couple pounds of it. So since there is no start load for 87gr but there are for 80, 85, 100gr should I start with the 85 gr one since it's closest? And does the type and brand of bullet determine a lot where to start when starting a load? And I understand to start low but does that mean start at the "start load" in the book or should I start lower than that? Thanks again!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Savage88, The Nosler 120 grain B'tip is a tough deadly bullet out of the 7/08 on deer.

It's in my top 3 that I shoot out of my 284 Win.

Denny.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Savage88
Thanks! I think I might go back and get a couple pounds of it. So since there is no start load for 87gr but there are for 80, 85, 100gr should I start with the 85 gr one since it's closest? And does the type and brand of bullet determine a lot where to start when starting a load? And I understand to start low but does that mean start at the "start load" in the book or should I start lower than that? Thanks again!

Yes, use the 85gr data, and begin with the "start load". The start loads are plenty low, and in some rare instanced you can create problems if you go below them.

Start with the min load listed, and your OAL at magazine length. Work up in 1/2 grain increments to the listed max. Shoot for groups, and see where your results appear best. If they are good enough retest that loading, If not you can change OAL or one component and work up again.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
savage 88, if there is a bullet made, there is data for it somewhere. that being said, If I don't have firm data for a specific bullet I go with the data for the next HEAVIER bullet of like construction, ie spire point, round nose, boattail, etc.
using the start data for the heavier bullet should keep you out of trouble. then work up in 1/2 grain increments. generally I have found the best accuracy in any load is mid range. have fun and be safe.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks a lot guys!! You all are becoming father-like figures for reloading!!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
savage 88, just had a chance to read through more of this.

check out franks shooting supply

they had primers & powder when a lot of others didn't. Just call before you go and if you need primers and make it Utica way let me know

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Start with the nearest bullet wt. to what you are using. You will need to load below max listed load, how much lower can depend on the volume of the case and the rifle's chamber. So for a small case 1 to1.5 gr maybe where to start,and a larger case maybe 3 or 4 grs. You can have problems if powder load is too low and the neck does not seal and gases collapse the case. So a good rule of thumb is 10 % below max load

"What we've got here is...failure to communicate."
Stother Martin;("Captian") Movie: "Cool Hand Luke" cira 1967.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Savage88.... Not much here in NY as you are finding out. For powder, I had to go to Cabelas in Pa ....and they were very limited at that time. Still very tough around here to get just about anything. The Bass Pro here in Utica does not sell any Reloading supplies. Just keep searching like everyone else. Wish i had better news for you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 222Sako, 53 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,590
Posts18,511,150
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.