Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A CRKT A G Russell designed Ringer 1 neck knife with factory Kydex Sheath

Attached Images
a6890fe6-c62e-4148-1.jpg (44.77 KB, 284 downloads)
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by mtmiller
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I've never been dumb enough to just pack one knife in the backcountry, and usually my spare, or back-up, has been a folder of some variety.

Christ, I am becoming the azzhole contrarian all the sudden. Why do I need two knives that do the same thing? grin

Actually, I am being serious. Why do I need to include two items that do the same thing? Maybe you have different uses for each knife. I can maybe buy into that.

Actually they won't quite do the same thing. grin grin grin

[Linked Image]

And to make you even more contrary, I don't carry two knives, I carry three.....this one in the pack. grin grin grin

[Linked Image]

Just don't want to be without a knife or a means to make a fire, have 3 of those too!!

max

Old single shots and old loading tools.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blackpowdermax
I've never been dumb enough to just pack one knife in the backcountry, and usually my spare, or back-up, has been a folder of some variety.

Christ, I am becoming the azzhole contrarian all the sudden. Why do I need two knives that do the same thing? grin

Actually, I am being serious. Why do I need to include two items that do the same thing? Maybe you have different uses for each knife. I can maybe buy into that.

[Linked Image]

And to make you even more contrary, I don't carry two knives, I carry three.....this one in the pack. grin grin grin

[Linked Image]

Just don't want to be without a knife or a means to make a fire, have 3 of those too!!

max

I am with you on the fire. Not sure why you want a block and blade, but I am OK with that. Guess my needs are different. What is of more value, the blade or the shed?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Heck, I've prolly got 4 or 5 little pocket knives on me on any given day when not hunting...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Greg,

What's the ONE knife that you pack? I'm just curious, my Irish ass isn't even picking a fight here.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan,

I doubt I have the "best" knife, but this is the one I have in the pack. I am not worried about breaking it or losing it.
http://www.cadcutlery.com/boning/40514.jpg

No worries, you can start a fight....at the end of the day it is just an opinion. We are all smarter than hell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure I could get by with just one, probably could get by with one arrow to but I like options. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I'm sure I could get by with just one, probably could get by with one arrow to but I like options. smile

Now that is just silly...but you know that.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Over the years I've had a lot of knives that I've used. I'm not a knife junkie by any stretch. I guess I've always been looking for one that can "do it all"

For years, I had a fixed blade Gerber that was about a 4" blade, real traditional drop point pattern. I couldn't even tell you how many critters that thing took apart. It was heavy, but it touched up easy on a Lansky crock stick (the gray ones) Which is probably why still to this day I keep a gray crock stick in my possibles. I usually rob one out of a Lansky "sharp box" and put the green ends on it from one of the shorter "dogbone" pocket sharpeners. Anyhow, my brother had one JUST like it, we bought them both within a month of each other (sibling one-upsmanship be damned, it was a good [bleep] knife) Well, he lost his, and I gave him mine because I work a lot of OT and it gave me a reason to spend money.

So I wound up with one of these....
[Linked Image]
it reminded me a lot of that Gerber I gave away, and some really smart guy on the internet said D2 was GREAT steel. I hate the [bleep]... There's no touching it up in the field, and after two critters taken apart with it, I KNOW it doesn't hold an edge any better than vastly inferior steel. The Kydex sheath was a prototype my brother made that didn't work out, but having a grey crock stick in the sheath, and a way to utilize it safely is still a GREAT idea.

Then, I got ahold of this'un. I'm actually surprised that Jim Riley isn't famous on the Interwebs too. In NW Montana he's the local version of Gene Ingram. He used to work for Track Knives when they were in Whitefish. Anyhow, my employer (Plum Creek) buys them a dozen at a time and then gives them out (after lazer engraving) for employees that get an attaboy. I LOVE this knife, but it's 8 ounces and I'm afraid to [bleep] it up. I'm actually thinking I need to get ahold of Jim and get pretty much the same knife, but lighter, and not presentation grade. Rumor is, he uses planer blades from the mill for the company knives... It ain't no super steel, but two other guys I know that own them say they can use it to get a whole elk on a pack horse and still shave with it once they get back to town.
[Linked Image] I love that knife...

Then, there's Spyderco Delica #2 of mine. #1 I bought right after I graduated high school. I had it for over a decade and inside several dead animals and various other [bleep] until I went hunting with Travis. I used it to bone out an antelope buck in his garage, and left it on the bedrail of my truck. It wound up in somebodies truck tire I'm sure. But #2 is VG10 instead of AUG6 steel. I actually like the steel in #2 better. Again, it's no super steel, but you can actually make it sharp without an excorcism.
[Linked Image]

Then, there's New School.... A gift from Biatholonman here on the Campfire. What better way to thank a couple guys for taking you into The Bob bowhunting than buying them knives (Bro Ed has one too) Last year it replaced my Spyderco in my kit. Just for [bleep] and giggles, I used it to turn my last weekend deer into meat. From start to finish, gutted, skinned, and butchered. I had to touch it up 5-6 times. It loves gray Lansky Crock Sticks. Plus, it makes fire, and provides redundancy there in my kit, completely free of charge to it's end user. These are a damn good knife, and well worth the money...[Linked Image]
I hacked the belt clip off since I never use it. I just KNOW that somebody is going to make a Kydex sheath for it that holds and allows use of a gray crock stick, and maybe even has a striker for the firesteel (I hate using the back of the knife to make sparks, I'm a safety guy at work) and with a couple chicago screws it could even be a neck knife "survival kit" for the Rambo types. Hell, hide a needle and heavy nylon thread in it, and a couple fish hooks and everybody and their mother would buy one.

For backpacking, it's likely going to be my Fireknife and the new guy. Or maybe my Riley and the Fireknife? I do know that on my woodsbumming backpack trips the Fireknife is ALWAYS in my possibles. Fishing backpack trips, the RSK MK5 will be along just to gut trout.

So there you have it... My ramblings on knives that will be read by very few, even though I have real world experience. Remember that what steel it's made out of and how much money it cost is far cooler than how useful it is. If you can afford genuine Mastadon Ass-Bone and steel that takes a week of grinding and sacrificing a goat under a full moon at high tide, you'll be cooler than everybody else on the Interwebs.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Greg, you're the smartest [bleep] I've ever met smile

I really do mean that.

I figured you're "Go To" was at least a 400 dollar cutter

I'll never give up the two knife approach. I usually have my "game knife" and then my "thrash knife" I routinely use a knife around camp for chores like turing grouse breasts into fajitas, or tenderloins out of something dumb enough to catch an arrow or get shot. Then there's scraping fatwood to make a fire, or turning big chinks of wood into kindling in the morning for the stove with a baton.

In the evening, poring over maps and touching up knives is a ritual of mine that runs deeper than drinking whiskey.

I'm Irish...

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, I thought about everybody had some kind of "thrash knife" or pocket knife for the myriad of tasks one uses a knife for during the day....Swiss Army knives or multi-tools are an even more versatile option for such uses.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
True,

But a Letherman is heavier than a guilty conscience.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

max

I am with you on the fire. Not sure why you want a block and blade, but I am OK with that. Guess my needs are different. What is of more value, the blade or the shed?

mtmiller.....yep, I have other blades that are theoretically better and lighter, but this is a custom blade that I further customized to fit me and it is just "comfortable". 1095 carbon and holds an edge better than any knife I have. So when I reach for a knife to take, this one always gets the nod. I just trust this knife. Something other than logic. grin

max

Old single shots and old loading tools.....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I usually carry a Havalon Piranta and a half dozen blades for it, a Leatherman Charge with the different screwdriver bits(actually needed them last year when my buddies ring screws came out, nothing like sighting in a rifle in the backcountry! eek) and I always have my multi purpose Spyderco Delica with me. Heavy? worth it? YES!!

Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Tall, Wide and Handsome!
TICK
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I usually carry a Havalon Piranta and a half dozen blades for it,
They call it a skinning knife but I've never tried one. Have you ever skinned an elk with it? How well did it work?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Some years ago I picked up this little knife and it has been a constant ever since. Holds an edge very well, I believe the steel is ATS-34 if I recall. I added the paracord to the handle and sheath and a vacuum packed fire kit consisting of waterproof matches, tinder and striker under the paracord. Since this picture was taken I have added a small firesteel kit and a fishing kit to the backside and a X-Light Micro to the front. So a pretty complete kit and so small and light I don't even notice that I'm wearing it.

[Linked Image]

And a link to Randall King Knives (RKK):

http://www.randallkingknives.com/

Another oddity.....the whole package is Made in the USA....don't know how that happened. wink

max

That's slick. 1 more item to the lengthy wish list.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by alukban
Heck, I've prolly got 4 or 5 little pocket knives on me on any given day when not hunting...

Amen to that. I've got a Benchmade mini-Grip, a Victorinox Tinker, and a Leatherman Micra in my pockets right just sitting at my desk in an office building and there's a Mora fixed blade in the bag with my laptop over in the corner. I can't imagine going in the woods, much less hunting with just 1 knife. It just ain't right.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I wish Adair had a backup knife the day he shot that antelope.

I only carry one knife more times than not.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
I wish Adair had a backup knife the day he shot that antelope.

I only carry one knife more times than not.

Travis

Holy [bleep]!!! I haven't laughed this hard in years....

That was supposed to be a 200' trip over the next hill to see if the goats were down in a hole. Not 5 miles of walking and sneaking.

Believe me, I wished I had my Crewcab on. I would've stuck 4 quarters, backstraps and a skull in there and we'd been an hour closer to beer.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hunts like that, I rarely have more than one knife...

It's once there's camping out of a backpack involved that I take two.

I'm Irish...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 29 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,373
Posts18,488,422
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.