-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,222 of 1,842 1 2 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1841 1842
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bucks are starting to prowl around and starting to show signs of rutting . When do they rut for you guys up "north"?

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tom,

I'll just put in my order now for second weekend. Please tie me up a nice little 6 point buck-about 2 1/2 years old, and make sure you check him for tenderness, as I don't want to have to make 150 lbs. of stew out of him. Feel free to just tie him by the first turn in the trail-that way you don't have to drag him too far for me. JustOneGunner will only be satisfied with a big bruiser, so feel free to tie up a 12 point for him. In a pinch, an 11 point would be okay-he'll not be too disappointed. Be sure to leave plenty of good snacks, hot coffee, and a Thermos of soup at each stand. What time will you be bringing the pizza to us, as we don't want to spoil our appetites..............

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Here in MI I think it has to do more with photoperiods than just about anything else. We usually peak about Nov 10-16 or there abouts. Lots of rubs and scrapes in the woods now. Bachelor groups are gone and there's been some woman chasing going on. cool

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
What an exhausting but productive weekend.

Whitebear was good enough to sell us a partially completed sauna for our camp at a bargain discount price. He even let us use his flat deck trailer to haul it to camp.

Here's Nate and I unloading the "sownah maki"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We set it in it's spot and put it up on 1 row of railroad ties.

[Linked Image]

We'll cover more of that project soon. I've ordered the cedar boards for the inside. It will be a mid day tinkering project through deer season.

We had the old sauna floor frame kicking around and I decided to use it as a shed roof for our wood shed project. Our horribly clownish jackpine savage wood shed project.... which involved a gas powered ice auger drilling holes in the ground for posts, some chainsaw work and some tractor work.... And some grunting/lifting noises.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/shed4_zps5c092905.jpg[/img]

Dropping in the last corner post, ear flaps deployed.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/shed5_zps47546af5.jpg[/img]

Success!

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/shed6_zps59727a19.jpg[/img]

8x16 roof, a true "slanty shanty"

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/shed7_zpsd2698f05.jpg[/img]

We'll sheet up 3 walls and leave the front open.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hauled some wood down from some cutting piles I have in the woods north of the cabin.

I put my biggest, strongest man on chopping duty.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

grin

Something clever here.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ruts supposed to peak in northern WI Nov 17th. Rifle season opens the 23rd.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Great pics Dave! That wood shed is going to add a nice rustic touch to Chickenbuck. Nate is turning into quite the young man isn't he?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mule1
Bucks are starting to prowl around and starting to show signs of rutting . When do they rut for you guys up "north"?

Pretty much right now. There were some rubs I found, and a 1/4 mile stretch of walking trail that had about a 1/2 scrapes on it. The goofy part is, where I found rubs there were no scrapes, and vise versa.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You may get your request, but JOG in on his own. smile If he finds a 12 pt, I'm going to start following him around the woods. I've been looking for a spot for him with regular deer activity. I found one or two.

There are a few pics of a 4 or 6 pt buck. I can't tell based on the camera angle, but if I was using my money to bet, it'd be on forkie. Which, depending on the day he were to walk by me, may or may not be still available for you. grin

There aer does and fawns in the area so we all know what that means here in the next coming weeks. Bucks from anywhere could come marching by!

Last edited by tzone; 11/04/13.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Nate is turning into quite the young man isn't he?

and a fine one at that. He's a great kid. All 3 of em are.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My bowhunting vacation has been interupted by a pesky 5 day stay in the hospital. I was treating lower back / leg pain (sciatic nerve) at the chiropractor for the last couple of weeks. It wasn't getting any better. Just worse. Last wednesday my leg hurt so bad I could hardly walk. I then noticed my right calf was swollen and hard so I went to the walk in clinic hoping to get some pain killers and muscle relaxer to take the edge off for my vacation that started on friday Nov. 01. The next thing you know I'm at the hospital getting an ultra-sound. Turns out I have a blood clot in my right leg that goes from mid thigh to my ankle. They then gave me a CT scan and found "significant" blood clots in my lungs.

They admitted me to the hospital and I've been laying flat on my back hooked up to Heparin IV's and heart monitors for the last 5 days. I just got released last night after they got the blood to a "therepeutic level". Man did they take blood out of me. 12 viles the first day and two viles every four hours for the whole time I was in there.

I have to go back this morning to pick up my prescriptions and make an appt. at the coumadin clinic where I will have to go quite frequently until they can get my pills regulated to my body type and diet.

It's a pesky interuption but its better than the alternative I guess. smile

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Jeezus Rooster, I'm glad you're alright. That is NOTHING to mess around with. I know we all say sometimes 1/2 jokingly that we'll "get checked out after season" but may, you're a lucky dude actually.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks Tom. It surprised the heck out of me. Last Monday was my last chiropractor treatment. It didn't help so I got a deep tissue massage on Tuesday. When I told the Doctor that his eyes got big and he said "you're damn lucky you didn't die on that massage table from the clots breaking loose"

It was at that point I knew it was pretty serious.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave

8x16 roof, a true "slanty shanty"

[Linked Image]

We'll sheet up 3 walls and leave the front open.

"Hello, hello? Yah, hi der. I'm calling about a crotch for sale. I'd like to move it up to my camp and make a vwood sched out of it."

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well lemmie tell ya, times like dat make me feel like movin up nort ya know?

Good idea.

Yaah I'd do it too.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey rooster, sure glad you're on the mend. I didn't say anything here because I didn't know the details.

I hope you can still make it up for muzzle loader.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well lemmie tell ya, times like dat make me feel like movin up nort ya know?

Good idea.

Yaah I'd do it too.

'course den I'd miss Da packers. Gotta love da packers. who can forgit da Vince Lombardi years eh?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
99, that's about the coolest deer story ever! Congratulations, not so much for the deer - those are consumed before we know it, but for finding such a fine lady. Well done for the both of you.

My wife has been with me for over 23 years and she's never been with me on my birthday. My birthday falls the day before the opener here in MI. In fact, not even my mom has seen me on my birthday since 1975...I guess that's 38 years now. No big deal - neither are hunters but they understand it, grew up with it - though it took some serious negotiations in the early years. whistle She's still a keeper. smile

Cheers Charlie,

She's a keeper, for sure & my bestest buddy.

While on the subject, I can't believe nobody commented on me "kicking" our 3 legged dog !!!!!!

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hey rooster, sure glad you're on the mend. I didn't say anything here because I didn't know the details.

I hope you can still make it up for muzzle loader.

I'm sure gonna try! I'm hoping my leg will be much better by then. If not, well I guess I can be camp cook and wood stover keeper goin er. wink

*Edit* Aw who am I kiddin. If I can limp to a stand I'll be in it! Or maybe you could pull me in one of those little red sleds Dave. ROR!

Last edited by Rooster7; 11/04/13.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Great pics Dave! That wood shed is going to add a nice rustic touch to Chickenbuck. Nate is turning into quite the young man isn't he?

Rooster,

I was just thinking the same thing !

Dave & Pam,

You're obviously doing things right. Feel free to keep up the good work !

Preacher shoulda jumped offa the "peeing rock", to add more force to the blow of da axe smile

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 1,222 of 1,842 1 2 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,274
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.