OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
11% degradation in time from last year:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...port-sharp-increases-response-times-this

Denver police report sharp increases in response times this year

By Sadie Gurman
The Denver Post

Denver police response times have increased sharply over the past year, jumping by an average of more than a minute in even the most urgent incidents, police department data show.

The slowing response came despite a more than 11 percent drop in the number of citizen calls for police service, from 280,150 between January and October of 2012 to 248,594 during the same period this year.

Average response to "lower priority" calls � such as car theft reports, burglar alarms and assaults that are no longer unfolding � climbed the most compared to last year. But callers reporting more pressing emergencies such as domestic violence, missing children, weapons offenses and child abuse waited more than a minute longer on average than they did a year ago.

Police officials have grappled with slowing response times as the department's ranks shrink due to retirements, departures and budget cuts that kept the city from hiring officers for five years. The data, obtained by The Denver Post through an open-records request, quantify the problem.

Calls for police service in Denver are prioritized on seven levels. The highest priority calls, described as "critical incidents," are ranked Priority 0 while calls of the lowest priority, such as theft and fraud reports, are ranked Priority 6.

Response to those lowest priority incidents slowed by 6.7 minutes this year, from an average of more than 34 minutes to an average of more than 41. Officers last year took 21.1 minutes to respond to calls ranked Priority 3, or "public need," incidents such as assaults that are no longer in progress, drug complaints and shoplifting, compared to 24.6 minutes this year.

And it takes officers an average of 7.2 minutes to respond to "critical incidents," compared to the 5.9 minutes it took to respond to the same kinds of incidents last year.

"Absolutely, 100 percent, it's the result of not having enough officers on the street," said Lt. Matt Murray, the department's chief of staff.

The addition of 29 officers last month and 35 more police academy graduates in upcoming weeks brings the department's force to 1,398, but the newest officers won't start patrolling the streets on their own until early February. That's an improvement, officials say, but not when compared to the 1,550 officers the department had in 2008.

Murray said the department's data analysts found a correlation of more than 80 percent between staffing levels and response times.

"As soon as these guys hit the streets in February, you'll immediately see better response times," he said.

Officials studying the slowing response, which next year will include the city auditor's office, have said the delays are partly the result of it taking longer for dispatchers to find an available officer.

"The basic problem is that there are a higher number of calls than there are officers who can handle them. It's a simple supply and demand equation," said Lt. Vincent Gavito, vice president of the police union. "If you're truly a victim, why should you have to sit around and wait one or two hours for an officer to come? It's like you're victimized twice."

The union has said Chief Robert White's sweeping staffing changes have added to the delays � an assertion that Murray rejected.

Gavito said he is hopeful that tweaks to White's staffing plan will improve response times next year.

The auditor's office announced last month it would investigate the reason for the delays after fielding a slew of complaints from citizens and officers alike. And this summer, the department revamped the way it responds to rape victims who walk into hospitals after victims sometimes waited two to three hours for an officer to respond.

One woman left St. Anthony's Hospital in Westminster in August rather than continue waiting after it took a Denver officer more than two hours to arrive, according to dispatch records obtained by The Denver Post.

"If you have to wait several hours for a police officer on an accident report, it's not good customer service," Murray said. "The problem is, there is no add-water fix here. It's about bodies on the street."

White wants officers to respond to the highest priority calls in as close to six minutes as possible, Murray said, adding the officials are going to study current times against those in years when the agency was fully staffed to try to determine what times are optimal.

But officials shouldn't set a hard and fast standard for officers' response to certain calls, said Thomas Aveni, executive director of the New Hampshire-based Police Policy Studies Council. Doing so can create unrealistic expectations and expose the city to lawsuits, he said.

Historically, departments have strived to respond to the most urgent of calls within three to five minutes, Aveni said. But that has proved problematic.

"That's been pretty much the constant ideal," he said. "It's really hard to deliver, unless you have got no traffic, you've got plenty of cars free and they happen to be relatively close to the incident."

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 11/05/13.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's pretty interesting. It sucks, but it's interesting. I'd be curious as to how their staffing compares to five years ago and how they've arranged staffing.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most agencies, especially large ones, are plagued by shrinking budgets. Everyone knows that. But here's what ya might not know:

Agencies will take grant money for special programs to help expand their departments and create "community" programs that may or may not be effective. Here's the problem with that. They MUST staff those programs as a condition of the grant. Or face paying it back. So when they are faced with staffing shortages, for any reason, they have to cut positions in areas that are not funded by grants. Like patrol or investigations. And those are two areas that suffer the most from staffing issues.

In the end, it's really the citizens that suffer the most though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's so bad about that? I'd be amazed if a LEO got to my house in under 30. From what I saw in Denver, crossing the street in less than 7 minutes could be impossible at times.

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The Denver Post needs to follow up on this story by investigating Chief Robert White's record in Louisville, Kentucky.

The chief was the Liberal Mayor's puppet. Moral of the police was non existent. He never supported or backed his officers against the mayor. Response times went up. Murder rates went up. The officers slowed down. Same old broken record.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
11% degradation in time from last year:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...port-sharp-increases-response-times-this

Denver police report sharp increases in response times this year

By Sadie Gurman
The Denver Post

Denver police response times have increased sharply over the past year, jumping by an average of more than a minute in even the most urgent incidents, police department data show.

The slowing response came despite a more than 11 percent drop in the number of citizen calls for police service, from 280,150 between January and October of 2012 to 248,594 during the same period this year.

Average response to "lower priority" calls � such as car theft reports, burglar alarms and assaults that are no longer unfolding � climbed the most compared to last year. But callers reporting more pressing emergencies such as domestic violence, missing children, weapons offenses and child abuse waited more than a minute longer on average than they did a year ago.

Police officials have grappled with slowing response times as the department's ranks shrink due to retirements, departures and budget cuts that kept the city from hiring officers for five years. The data, obtained by The Denver Post through an open-records request, quantify the problem.

Calls for police service in Denver are prioritized on seven levels. The highest priority calls, described as "critical incidents," are ranked Priority 0 while calls of the lowest priority, such as theft and fraud reports, are ranked Priority 6.

Response to those lowest priority incidents slowed by 6.7 minutes this year, from an average of more than 34 minutes to an average of more than 41. Officers last year took 21.1 minutes to respond to calls ranked Priority 3, or "public need," incidents such as assaults that are no longer in progress, drug complaints and shoplifting, compared to 24.6 minutes this year.

And it takes officers an average of 7.2 minutes to respond to "critical incidents," compared to the 5.9 minutes it took to respond to the same kinds of incidents last year.

"Absolutely, 100 percent, it's the result of not having enough officers on the street," said Lt. Matt Murray, the department's chief of staff.

The addition of 29 officers last month and 35 more police academy graduates in upcoming weeks brings the department's force to 1,398, but the newest officers won't start patrolling the streets on their own until early February. That's an improvement, officials say, but not when compared to the 1,550 officers the department had in 2008.

Murray said the department's data analysts found a correlation of more than 80 percent between staffing levels and response times.

"As soon as these guys hit the streets in February, you'll immediately see better response times," he said.

Officials studying the slowing response, which next year will include the city auditor's office, have said the delays are partly the result of it taking longer for dispatchers to find an available officer.

"The basic problem is that there are a higher number of calls than there are officers who can handle them. It's a simple supply and demand equation," said Lt. Vincent Gavito, vice president of the police union. "If you're truly a victim, why should you have to sit around and wait one or two hours for an officer to come? It's like you're victimized twice."

The union has said Chief Robert White's sweeping staffing changes have added to the delays � an assertion that Murray rejected.

Gavito said he is hopeful that tweaks to White's staffing plan will improve response times next year.

The auditor's office announced last month it would investigate the reason for the delays after fielding a slew of complaints from citizens and officers alike. And this summer, the department revamped the way it responds to rape victims who walk into hospitals after victims sometimes waited two to three hours for an officer to respond.

One woman left St. Anthony's Hospital in Westminster in August rather than continue waiting after it took a Denver officer more than two hours to arrive, according to dispatch records obtained by The Denver Post.

"If you have to wait several hours for a police officer on an accident report, it's not good customer service," Murray said. "The problem is, there is no add-water fix here. It's about bodies on the street."

White wants officers to respond to the highest priority calls in as close to six minutes as possible, Murray said, adding the officials are going to study current times against those in years when the agency was fully staffed to try to determine what times are optimal.

But officials shouldn't set a hard and fast standard for officers' response to certain calls, said Thomas Aveni, executive director of the New Hampshire-based Police Policy Studies Council. Doing so can create unrealistic expectations and expose the city to lawsuits, he said.

Historically, departments have strived to respond to the most urgent of calls within three to five minutes, Aveni said. But that has proved problematic.

"That's been pretty much the constant ideal," he said. "It's really hard to deliver, unless you have got no traffic, you've got plenty of cars free and they happen to be relatively close to the incident."

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
They should just borrow some of Thornton's cops..... those [bleep] are everywhere.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
7.2 ain't bad. It takes the State Police on average an hour to come to our area.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure." (Thomas Jefferson)

DON'T TREAD ON ME

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Denver is slowing adding officers to its police force. 29 new ones this month and 35 more next month. Maybe that will improve response time.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...ice-graduate-29-new-officers-first-class

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last February one of my guys discovered copper thieves on the roof, at about 4:00am. Called 911, told them the thieves were there, right now. 20-30 minutes later the thieves realize they've been made, and scatter. Right after my guy called a second time. The police show up too late. The damage done on the roof, by the thieves? $39k in repairs

How far away is the police substation? About 1/2 a mile smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A handy gun could have held them for 45 minutes or so, and I"m betting a call, I have em at gunpoint would have sped it up some.

I can't say that it bothers me that they are slow responding to some things, they have priorities thats for sure.

And there are not enough of them to be everywhere,thats a super good reason folks need to be able to legally protect what they have....

Me, I might have even tried to figure out the vehicle first and let the air out....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a good reason as I've heard to be carrying. Oh that's right that [bleep] won't let you carry.

NRA Lifetime Member
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Sounds like a good reason as I've heard to be carrying. Oh that's right that [bleep] won't let you carry.

We have preemption in Colorado, so with a valid CCW, Denver has to let you carry.

As for the "community officers" etc... yes, all those Federal plans are messed up. The community is closest to their own problems and will know best how to deploy their assets, not some federal paper pusher.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
that is actually a pretty good response time. Last time I called 911 here in Gainesville, it was the next day that two policewomen showed up to answer my complaint.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pira114
Most agencies, especially large ones, are plagued by shrinking budgets. Everyone knows that. But here's what ya might not know:

Agencies will take grant money for special programs to help expand their departments and create "community" programs that may or may not be effective. Here's the problem with that. They MUST staff those programs as a condition of the grant. Or face paying it back. So when they are faced with staffing shortages, for any reason, they have to cut positions in areas that are not funded by grants. Like patrol or investigations. And those are two areas that suffer the most from staffing issues.

and an adjunct to that thought, is that once funded by the Feds, there is a limitation on the length of the funding. When that time period runs out, most agencies are reluctant to let folks go, so they cut back somewhere else to keep the program hires employed. In my fair City, to keep program hires employed at the Fire Department, they pushed through an additional $99 a year 'assessment' for fire protection. Now, a year later, it has jumped to $115 per house. They just won't terminate anyone.

Sam......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That is not bad, I once had my house alarm go off when someone broke into my house. The alarm company called me and told me that they had notified the police. I had to drive back to the office and let my boss know, then drive 25 minutes back to my house, for a total of an hour and I followed the cop up my driveway.

People that don't live out in the sticks have no clue what it means to be responsible for your own safety.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
that is actually a pretty good response time. Last time I called 911 here in Gainesville, it was the next day that two policewomen showed up to answer my complaint.

Keep in mind, that 7.2 minutes is only if someone is actually shooting at you. The average time for the average call is closer to 45 minutes. Of course in the Metro area I've been spend 10 minutes being transferred between 911's just trying to get the right PD before the official "response time" clock ever started.

The one time I called in a liquor store robbery I was pretty impressed, they arrived in 4 minutes flat.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I just call everything as a donut store robbery... they're there in under 90 seconds every time....

[bleep] Denver.... and their jack-booted cops.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114

The simple solution would be to refuse the grant money. It doesn't help anything, and it takes police off the streets.

Jumping on federal grants has become like using drugs. Do it once, and they're hooked. Nothing positive comes from it, just the opposite.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by dogshooter
[bleep] Denver.... and their jack-booted cops.

Spoken like a man who's actually had to deal with them....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (163bc, 204guy, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,785
Posts18,515,843
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.