-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,224 of 1,842 1 2 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1841 1842
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was following your updates on FB Rooster, thought about calling you but I figured you had all kinds of stuff going on.
thoughts and prayers will continue for a speedy recovery!

there's always a late season muzzlestuffer hunt out here!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm waiting for the day I can tell a story much like yours. smile

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yep, very cool.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great story Charlie. Bet your son never forgets his time with in in the duck marsh/fields.

Stan 609 is a big bear. The past several years there were bears taken over 700 pounds. I haven't heard much about this years hunt. Numbers seem to be down.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
+ 1 Charlie,

Thems gunna make cool memories !

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

This is our first real hunting adventure together. And he's already planning on joining me for Fur & Feather weekend where I avoid Black Friday like the plague and hunt ducks and deer that weekend. I'm pretty excited. I haven't had a such fun with a hunting partner since my brother passed in '07. It's a good thing. smile

It's fun isn't it?!!

My son Jack has been joining me more and more on expeditions into the woods. We spent all day Sunday in the woods and he loved it. He too took a header into the wet muck and swamp water. His rubbers were too high for him to step over all the logs and crap you can't see until it's too late.

He was a great trooper. He got to shoot his shotgun for the first time. A H&R single shot .410. He even hit the pop can. They he BEGGED to shoot the pistol I was carrying. I wasn't real sure about it since it was a Brownign Buckmark. Usually I carry a Ruger Single Six revolver and not a pistol. He was persistant so I let him shoot it. He LOVED it.

The topper was when I pulled over on the logging road and got out. He asked, "what are you donin?" I told him it was his turn to drive. He hasn't smiled like that since he called in the turkey we shot this spring.

He's 8 so he can't shoot a deer yet, but he'll be along for the hunt on our second weekend. Gophergunner (Jeff) and his son Just one gunner will be up for camp too.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The DNR said bear kills are down here too Bill. I was wonderign about WI. There is usually a big SOB killed that tops 700 somewhere up there.

I remember the owner of the gas station in Tripoli popped that one a few years back that was sniffing 800 pounds and they had to get it out of the woods with a skid steer. crazy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
T, my youngest shot his first deer at 8, 300 yards with a .243 and 100 gr. Hornady Interlock, one shot.

I would love to have a CO cite me for that one and take it to a Northern MN jury any day of the week.

He has since taken a deer every year he will 13 next month,but that deer is the one he talks about the most.

Deer opener is more exciting then Christmas smile

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ok...Lemme take it a step further. He's not ready to shoot a deer yet. smile

We are still working on the safety of guns, where to shoot, and how to shoot.

I do know, there isn't a red squirrel that is safe now if he has a box of .410 shells in his pocket. smile

I would love to have a CO cite me for that one and take it to a Northern MN jury any day of the week.

Do you just use your tag or did you buy the little guy a lisc? you can PM if you don't want to talk about it here. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Ok...Lemme take it a step further. He's not ready to shoot a deer yet. smile

We are still working on the safety of guns, where to shoot, and how to shoot.

I do know, there isn't a red squirrel that is safe now if he has a box of .410 shells in his pocket. smile

Do you just use your tag or did you buy the little guy a lisc? you can PM if you don't want to talk about it here. smile

My grandpa did this for me when i was 9-12. I killed a deer sitting with him each of those years in wisconsin. There'd be a doe in the field and he'd hand me his 30-06 with some NASTY stout handloads. Second deer i shot I had to get out of the stand and shot her offhand in the neck at 300 yards, I thought that tought old marine almost shed a tear, to say he was proud of his 10yr old grandson was an understatement :-D

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ah that is a different issue, JD was all ready to go on that aspect.

We had multiple tags that year and he used one of mine, when he turned 10 They started to use the apprentice tag or some such thing.

We tried for two years to get his field day done for the new stupid online firearms safety class. Finally I found an actual instructor based class that I took both boys to. So now then get their own licenses.

Honestly I believe it is the parents who need to decide when their child is ready. I think it helps to bring confidence and a real understanding of life and death to them.

Just my opinion. I don't allow the kids to do "drives" with loaded weapons nor am I allowing them to stalk around with a round in the chamber. Heck I am having issues with letting the oldest boy sit on his own, he just turned 14 however that is more of a dad issue smile

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm with ya BD. Having taught hunters safety for 10 years in WI, I've seen a bunch of kids that weren't ready even at 12 to shoot a deer. But they were 12 so dad says they're going to do it. I'm talking flat out scared to hold a gun. We did fail some of those kids becasue of that and the dad's flew off the handle.

Mini-man I'd say could/would be ready next year. He needs some trigger time and that's on me.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by tzone
The DNR said bear kills are down here too Bill. I was wonderign about WI. There is usually a big SOB killed that tops 700 somewhere up there.

I remember the owner of the gas station in Tripoli popped that one a few years back that was sniffing 800 pounds and they had to get it out of the woods with a skid steer. crazy

That brute is on display at the BP "C" store in Tripoli. It's mounted standing up in a display case. Very, very impressive. Tripoli is on HiWay 8 between Thomahawk and Prentice. Don't blink or you'll pass it.

3 years ago there were 3 bears taken over 700 pounds in WI.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I was following your updates on FB Rooster, thought about calling you but I figured you had all kinds of stuff going on.
thoughts and prayers will continue for a speedy recovery!

there's always a late season muzzlestuffer hunt out here!

Yeah everytime I fell asleep or woke up the wife was updating facebook it seems. crazy I can't say too much about it. I did sincerely appreciate all the thoughts and prayers I received. Very humbling...

You know you have a good woman when she doesn't leave your side the entire time you're in the hospital. She even slept in a chair next to me every night even though our daughters have an apartment two blocks from the hospital. Everytime the IV pump alarm would go off she was up with me, everytime they came in to check vitals she was up with me, everytime labs came in for more blood, she was up with me. I have to love her for that. smile

For those of you guys that have experienced blood clots or know someone who has, how long does it take for the pain to go away? My leg is still killing me when I stand and move about.

Charlie - Your boy will remember that first duck hunt for the rest of his life. That will be a campfire story that he will tell in the future. Good on you! And "fur and feathers" weekend...I like that! I might steal that phrase and substitute pheasants for ducks. smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rooster7
For those of you guys that have experienced blood clots or know someone who has, how long does it take for the pain to go away? My leg is still killing me when I stand and move about.

It depends on how bad the clots were, and where. With arterial clotting, reperfusion pain can last a long time.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Charlie
Sounds as if you were near Fish Point in the floodings?

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by goalie

It depends on how bad the clots were, and where. With arterial clotting, reperfusion pain can last a long time.

Ok. I guess I was just asking to find out if its normal to still have a lot of pain even after they get the INR levels in the blood regulated. Sounds like it is so I won't worry about walking to the stand later.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie

Ok. I guess I was just asking to find out if its normal to still have a lot of pain even after they get the INR levels in the blood regulated. Sounds like it is so I won't worry about walking to the stand later.

Getting your INR theraputic stops the clots from getting bigger and stops you from getting more clots. Heparin and coumadin do not break up existing clots. If your INR is >2.5 or so, you should be good for not getting new clots.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Me thinks "Goalie" does some moonlighting in the healthcare field?

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Me thinks "Goalie" does some moonlighting in the healthcare field?

Yeah, I'm an ICU nurse at Abbott in the Twin Cities.

Page 1,224 of 1,842 1 2 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,794
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.