-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
I was cleaning my new Savage 99F and my old [to me] 99EG [.308 and .300] today, when I ran into something that I didn't realize before.

My 1954 Savage 99EG has scope mounts drilled and tapped, as well as installed. I was putting new rings on and realized that the front scope mount is not centered.

This is not off enough to stop a scope from being adjusted to be accurate: but enough that it is off by a degree or so.

That explains why the scope I removed from it was SOOOO far to the right when I set it up on a .22lr rifle!

I have put that original scope back [Bushnell ScopeChief 4X with CommandPost] and will be zeroing it back in.

I can live with it. It was VERY accurate when I first shot it [before removing that scope], so I know that I can dial it in and make it accurate again.

HOWEVER, I was wondering if it is possible [and safe] to have a gunsmith fill those holes [weld up] and then re-drill/tap to make it centered? Or would this be too much heat to the front area, causing it to affect the temper of the steel?

Again, I can live with it, but I'd prefer to fix it if there is NO downside [other than cost].

Thoughts? Thanks!

Some Savages [99], and one or two others
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What is possible to do is often not the right thing to do.

I'd leave as is, or worst case consider a 1-piece base and settle for one good screw in the front.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd do your welding and redrilling on the mounts and leave the gun alone.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't screw with it. Since you know that a scope can be zeroed with the holes the way they are let it go. To correct it you'll spend a nice chunk of change and end up with a rifle that you can mount and zero a scope on. You've already got that. wink

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another option would be to use Burris Signature Zee rings with inserts used to align scopes. I've used them on a couple of rifles that I didn't have enough scope adjustment to zero them in. They work great.

Lee

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the Burris rings. They will make up for a multitude of little problems. The simple solution is often the best.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Off center on the 99's is common. The bit skated on the hardened receiver. Likely done by hand or in a cheap press with a plain and to long bit, without taking the hardening out of the spot first. My Grandfathers, now my sons, is the same. Still kills deer.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OBLONG the Front Holes and Counter Bore So You Can Move the Front Of Base Over
Easy enough to Do.
If Ya Need it Done Send it Over to Me Be Glad to Help, No Charge
You Pay the Postage Both Ways
Just need to Know Which Way you need the Base Moved.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Two previously points are spot on.
#1 - Burris Z rings with offset inserts work very well.
#2 - Have the holes in the mounts tig welded in, and redrill the mounts. I have done this once, and scope was dammm near dead on when windage adjustments are -0- centered. But you must have access to welder/machines and do some precise measurements/layout.

Choice #1 is the easiest, pretty much no chance of screwing anything else up or taking mucho time.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by oldotter; 11/06/13.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 99 that was non factory tapped and the front ring was drilled 3 degrees off top dead center.

My solution was to use weaver 2 piece bases. I had to make my own front mount from a larger one piece weaver base with a similar radius. This allowed me to drill the holes 3 degrees off top dead center to match the rifle. Worked like a champ and shot like a house of fire and I shot my biggest whitetail ever with it that year.................and that's the truth..........

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
leupold or redfield base and rings are the best way I've found to deal with off center 99's a very common problem ,the rear ring can be offset to just where you need it.

plab

Gotta love them 303's
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Both Weaver and Millett make windage adjustable rings. I have a set of Millett Angle-Loc rings on one of my 99s that a one eyed drunk gun plumber drilled in a dark barn on a cold day...

H
OP Offline
H
Thanks all!

I'll look into a Millet windage adjustable ring set. Hadn't thought of that!

Some Savages [99], and one or two others
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Historygeek
Thanks all!

I'll look into a Millet windage adjustable ring set. Hadn't thought of that!

The Millet rings are not anywhere close to the robustness of the Burris Signature Zee with offset inserts. A few dollars more but nothing painful.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
+1 .Money well spent.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (blackhawk44, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, Barryt, 11 invisible), 1,195 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.