Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Wife and I are both gonna try the Rage 2 blade this year, hers is designed for her KE range (25.5" DL, 50# DW). She has had good luck past two seasons using Muzzy MX-3 but we both have gained some accuracy with the Rage, at least in practice. Surprised more aren't using this BH, is there something I don't know and should about them?

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All I can say about the 2 blade rage 100gr is the couple of deer I've shot with them made it no more than 40yards max and it was made dash and fell over dead ,further more I've heard of some really POOR shots that ended in recovery of the animal that I honestly don't think would have happened otherwise

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Im in that boat. The doe i shot last year jumped my string. She ducked and wheeled and a slightly quartering to shot where the pin was placed between shoulder and sternum turned into the arrow entering at third rib from the rear and exiting just below her azzhole. The 2" cut got a main artery. Deer went maybe 70 yds. Blood trail was awesome. Definitely dont believe I recover this deer if i were shooting ST.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Good, thanks for the feedback. Hope is back home right now (mid-MO) and she'll be hunting on our farm this week. I'm stuck in Atl right now on a temp assignment but will get a 3 day weekend home in a couple weeks. Looking forward to a chance to try them out - and my new bow, Matthews Creed. Hopefully, she will already have first hand experience with the Rage 2-blade to share.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Here is a pic of the 8 pointer Hope got last season with the MX-3. Shot was a little back (he was quartering to her) and there was very little blood. She waited almost 2 hours before she started tracking - There was so little blood, she tracked him for almost another 2 hours and he had only gone 200 yds or so. She figured he'd gone those 200 yds and went down and didn't get up. Not really the Muzzy's fault, it did get the job done.

[URL=http://s373.photobucket.com/user/bludog873

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mathsr
This is one of the broadheads I've been carrying this year. I haven't had a shot yet, but it will come in time. I made it from some novaculite. Surprising how sharp the thing is.

[Linked Image]

I just started making these heads a year ago and haven't ever shot one at a game animal. I didn't know how they would do on a deer and I worried that they would not perform well out of my recurve.

I shot a buck with my muzzle loader today and decided to give the flint broad head a try to confirm that they will do the job. I backed off about 15 yards and shot the hanging buck through the chest. It was amazing to watch the arrow disappear in the body of the deer since I about half expected it to bounce off. I got full pass through with my 32 inch arrow and the broad head looked just like it did before the shot. Looks like I'm good to go with the flint broad head on my next bow hunt. I'm confident that it will do the job on a live deer if I do my part.

Harry
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice buck ,good luck to both of you

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
still killin chit with the steelforce 125's . When stuff stops falling over I'll start looking for new things.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
thise steelforce phathead SOBs look interesting

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
COC for the trad bow. Somethin just aint right about a longbow firing a "modern" looking head. German Kinetics would get my nod. Best COC 2 blade head on the market IMO

They might be great heads but I've paid less for a couple bows than what those things cost.

FWIW, I shoot 145 or 160gr Snuffers, 'Snuff said.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m of the decision, that since what i've had works, no need to get complicated.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another Muzzy vote...

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Alaska Bowhunting Supply sells them as the "Silver Flame"

Isaiah 6:8

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Flying Muzzy broadheads for 17 yrs. They do the job well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shooting a crossbow and 2 weeks ago I shot a doe with a 150 gr boltcutter. Deer ran about 40 yds, but didnt bleed a drop. There wasnt even blood where the deer was laying.

So, I'm trying the 100 gr. Rage Crossbow X.

Since we have hogs, I will also keep a 100 gr G5 Montec in the quiver, for them.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Click...freeze.

Last edited by AH64guy; 11/01/13.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Double click...still frozen.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Steve692
The Toxic head is just out of the box of "normal" technology that I have to give them a try-out.

Lots of good heads out there and about as many reasons for picking one.

For each of us it is accuracy first always but penetration/blood trail/head strength etc all can have different priorities to each of us.

While a good blood trail has MORE (IMHO) to do with arrow placement than what head is used, the Toxic appears that it should/may/might/will create a type of wound channel that would be all but impossible to "plug" completely compared to a slice.

NOT saying that a slice cut wont WORK, they obviously do. A simple two blade Zwickey, well sharpened, will drop anything more than adequately and penetration is unbeatable yet perhaps it's just the "I want to see for myself" attitude I have that just wont let me NOT give these a trial run.

I'd face anything on this rock with several heads I have shot but I just want to try these out.

There is ALWAYS room for "just one more head" on my list of such.
The old man in me creates a bit of "oh man.....I don't know" thinking about these heads but, I wont Knock em.....till I nock em.

Hunt safe gang!

Darn, a triple post...hate it when that happens...

Going back to the Toxic discussion: finally saw pictures of a deer shot with the broadhead yesterday, not a spectacular entry or exit hole, the Rage and other expandables leave larger holes. Blood trail was similiar to a slick trick type fixed blade.

The deer was dead, so with proper placement, yeah, they work.

Local archery shop staff also said they are sensitive to any tuning issues with your bow/arrows, and will let you know they aren't liking the set-up.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Have seen pics if "toxic induced" wound channels as well. Not enough there to convince me to try them

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Meat seekers,3 blade 1.5" cut.

Josh

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.