Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,227 of 1,842 1 2 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
You might be surprised where a Chickenbuck hat shows up.

Awesome Stan, have fun on the cruise!

I can't wait to see where the chickenbuck hat shows up!

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have a great time Stan

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well,lets see.
the 450 has 300 gr Barnes tsx.
the 22-250 and the 223 have 52 gr barnes tsx,
and the 30-30 has 160 gr ftx hornady.
me and the boy both have doe tags.
I can barely sleep.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I picked up a doe tag last night too. The zone next to the one I hunt in has available tags. It's where the "beaver pond" stand is.

I'll fill that out if I need to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw about a dozen turkeys in a pasture on the way to work, which is nothing new, but across the road I saw a nice buck chasing a doe-he was on here like flies on schidt. Looked to be a good 8, maybe more. In the words of former
Gophers coach, Jim Whacker, "my heart is jumpin' and corpuscles are thumpin".

Last edited by gophergunner; 11/06/13.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie
gopher, I will be up at the Cross Lake Zorba's Friday night.

The population is up in the area. smile

And you saw what a cluster my downstairs bedroom is. The pile's about twice that size now......

Good luck, and stay safe everyone
What time are you going in there, Goalie-I just might look you up. I'll be the ugly one in the Chickenbuck shirt.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner

And you saw what a cluster my downstairs bedroom is. The pile's about twice that size now......

What time are you going in there, Goalie-I just might look you up. I'll be the ugly one in the Chickenbuck shirt.

Depends. We are leaving early to get up there and do some stuff on the hunting land. We usually head out in the 5-6pm range, eat, then go hit the grocery store in Cross Lake.

Call or text me when you are there or heading there. It's just me and one other guy, unless the neighbors join us this year. I have not gotten any prettier since you last saw me, and I'll have a Chickenbuck hoodie on.

smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have fun Stan

Good luck Rooster

The little bucks are running everything in sight around here reminds me of the old joke about the old bull and the young bull standing on the hill looking down on the cows ... I know y'all have heard it .

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Depends. We are leaving early to get up there and do some stuff on the hunting land. We usually head out in the 5-6pm range, eat, then go hit the grocery store in Cross Lake.

Call or text me when you are there or heading there. It's just me and one other guy, unless the neighbors join us this year. I have not gotten any prettier since you last saw me, and I'll have a Chickenbuck hoodie on.

smile
How 'bout PMing me your phone number again?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I saw 3 wild turkeys on my way home from work today. Which is absolutely and entirely new for up here. G'damn things were pert neer in Canada!

Something clever here.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It is off to set up deer camp in the morning. Two truck loads and the stands are on a trailer. I do love deer camp. Good luck to all.

It will look like this again.
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Have fun on the cruise Stan!

Well I didn't get anything to shoot at tonight but I do have a little story:

A few weeks ago, I bought a deodarant type stick called "evercalm" and I also ordered a product called "upwind" scent control after reading good things about both. The evercalm is supposed to be made from the scents of an actual deer bedding area. The theory is that deer are relaxed by the smell. I've been testing it the last few weeks via trail cameras and it seems to not bother deer at all. Well I put both to the test tonight and it passed with flying colors. I had 5 does and fawns directly down wind of me and they fanned their tails and ran off. I thought oh crap. Then I heard the tractor coming. My cousin was trying to scoop up the last little bit of hay he could for his cows this winter.

After the tractor went by they all came back out. The wind was going dirctly from me to them and they fed just as calm as could be with my scent blowing directly at them. Their was even a big nanny doe in the group and she didn't even look my direction. Might be something to this combo...

As far as rut activity....I'm seeing some scrapes but no chasing yet.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Did u really? That's pretty cool!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I saw 3 wild turkeys on my way home from work today. Which is absolutely and entirely new for up here. G'damn things were pert neer in Canada!

That's cool Dave! It was just a matter of time before they got up that way. We have had wild turkeys around here for quite a few years now. Tonight, I got to listen to them in the woods cluckin and purring. Didn't see them but you could hear them. It was pretty cool!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice to hear they're making it up that far, Dave. The danged things are like pigeons down here around the cities. Heck, there was one chasing the kids up and down the street on their bikes last summer! If I wanted one bad enough, I could walk out the door on any given day and cap one with a well placed head shot from a pellet gun. (that's if I'm capable of a well placed shot!)

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This may be my last post here before heading off to deer camp. Gonna be a busy night between the grocery run and final packing. Good luck to all the Minnesota boys. 'Can't wait to hear the stories, especially from the Chickenbuckers. I'll be wearing my Chickenbuck shirt for good luck. So to Northern Dave, T-Zone, Goalie, Skane, Runs With Scissors and all the other cast and crew, good luck, have fun, and come home safe. NOW GO FIND THE TURDY POINTER!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Rooster7

A few weeks ago, I bought a deodarant type stick called "evercalm" and I also ordered a product called "upwind" scent control after reading good things about both. The evercalm is supposed to be made from the scents of an actual deer bedding area. The theory is that deer are relaxed by the smell. I've been testing it the last few weeks via trail cameras and it seems to not bother deer at all. Well I put both to the test tonight and it passed with flying colors. I had 5 does and fawns directly down wind of me and they fanned their tails and ran off. I thought oh crap. Then I heard the tractor coming. My cousin was trying to scoop up the last little bit of hay he could for his cows this winter.

After the tractor went by they all came back out. The wind was going dirctly from me to them and they fed just as calm as could be with my scent blowing directly at them. Their was even a big nanny doe in the group and she didn't even look my direction. Might be something to this combo...

Jim, just so you know... I am going to tease the chit out of you over your magic deer cologne. You sly devil you...

grin

I love to tease you about all your high tech hunting trinkets, but this one will be my new favorite.

lol.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not entirely. There have been a few flocks around here for the last 4-5 years that I know of.

You need to get out of the heavy timber to see them.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hell, I'm gonna try it! got winded twice this year despite taking precautions. dang wind swirls out here in the evening.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Jim, just so you know... I am going to tease the chit out of you over your magic deer cologne. You sly devil you...

grin

I love to tease you about all your high tech hunting trinkets, but this one will be my new favorite.

lol.

grin

Tease away! I expected it! lol

I know NOTHING will beat a mature whitetails nose completely but as a bowhunter if you can reduce your scent to levels that deer will somewhat tolerate, you have increased your odds of getting a shot within 30 yards. And besides I like to play around with different stuff and observe deer behavior.

OK....

My Name is Jim and I'm a gimmick / gadet-aholic. It's true. But I have lots of fun doing it!

grin

Page 1,227 of 1,842 1 2 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (260Remguy, 1OntarioJim, 260madman, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,172
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.