-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've had this ol' shotgun for a few years. Have never shot it. The Buttstock is stamped "U.S. Property", so I'm guessing it might have been used as a training weapon at some time.

It's covered in a brown petina, but locks up like Dick's hat band.

Going to replace the stock, as the old one has gotten "oiled" and is chipping where it meets metal. (on the other side)

I'm noticing that the Forearm doesn't fit very well to the action.

Is this a common problem on economy double barrel shotguns of yesteryear, or could the forearms have been switched at some point.?

Is it something that would be worthwhile to fix or should I just leave it?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
New stocks and forearms are available and must be fitted. The checkering on both your peices suggests that they are original. There are two different types of stocks where they fit to the receiver and several shapes for the forend. The stock makers web sights are very helpful in determining which one you need for your gun. Try these guys.
Bob's Gun Parts
Gunstocks, Inc

Fitting a semi inletted stock is a painstaking labor of love. Take your time, use sharp tools, and remember, once you cut it off, you can't wish it back. Good luck.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Looks about right fit/finish-wise for one of those. Note: it may have been used for military training, but more likely to have been gov't property for loaning to servicemen for local hunting opportunities, through the PX/Sports Centers maybe?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If this was one of the shotguns bought by the Military Procurement Commission for training use in WWII, it should have a US Ordnance "flaming bomb" mark on the metal somewhere. If not, I suspect it had the buttstock from one of those guns added to it at some point.

In any case, they are sturdy, rather heavy shotguns that last a long time, and hold up to heavy US loads well. Probably not for steel shot, tho. Won't "blow it up," but will peen and poossibly score the choke area of the barrel if the chokes are tight, which they mostly are in these old guys.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info..

I'll look for the flaming bomb mark...

This is the area that just doesn't look/fit right...

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

This is the area that just doesn't look/fit right...

[Linked Image]

FWIW, what you've indicated is not the forend, it's called "the forend iron", and the fit is fairly normal for those shotguns.
I would suggest a light coating of white grease be applied to it's interior concave surface, where it abuts the action knuckle, as well as to the inside curve of the bbl hook, to keep it operating smoothly.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, par for the course with those hardware store quality doubles. Like Timex watches- give them a lickin' and they keep on tickin'.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,934
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.