Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
What did I get here? This is not the actual gun, just a photo cribbed from an auction site.

[Linked Image]

I put some money down on this yesterday, $449 plus I am adding a Redfield scope and a trigger job. It was really heavy about 10 lbs. pull. But I thought this would be a good back up gun in .30-06. I think this was a package gun sold with a Simmons scope, which I am junking! This might have been sold at walmart. My thinking is I can use this as a backup gun and I save about $400 instead of buying a new Winchester model 70. Is this a good deal or not, or just a decent gun? Tell it to me straight!

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Blind Mag, Push Feed, Model 70 sporter. No frills. It will work. The stock is in all honesty a POS. Probably will be a decent shooter though. Believe they are referred to as a M70 Black Shadow although I could be mistaken.

YMMV
Rob

E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I'm thinking of getting a McMillan stock.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Most that I have been around turned out to be good shooters. They are a no frills push feed model 70. My hunting pard runs one in 270 from time to time. It was his first rifle, and still shoots better than a lot of his more expensive model 70s.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found a new one locally for $400. It came with that Simmons "8 Point" scope which immediately came off. The rings I had looked a little different but went away as well. The matte finish is VERY rough. It is not a polished metal work at all. I would suspect they did a final sand with 80 grit and called it good, FYI. I was able to bed and float the rifle but the stock forearm just isn't meant for free floating. If you do float I suggest filling in the barrel channel....or use a different stock. I haven't done a huge amount of work-up on loads but it shot good groups when I sighted in the scope for the hunt season using factory Win 130 power points. I bought it as a loaner rifle and it works very well for that purpose. You should be happy with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7874759/1

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by E Blair
What did I get here? This is not the actual gun, just a photo cribbed from an auction site.

[Linked Image]

I put some money down on this yesterday, $449 plus I am adding a Redfield scope and a trigger job. It was really heavy about 10 lbs. pull. But I thought this would be a good back up gun in .30-06. I think this was a package gun sold with a Simmons scope, which I am junking! This might have been sold at walmart. My thinking is I can use this as a backup gun and I save about $400 instead of buying a new Winchester model 70. Is this a good deal or not, or just a decent gun? Tell it to me straight!
OK, you wanted it straight so you are going to get it. I've got the exact same rifle, 30-06 24" barrel and it is a fine shooting rifle. I shoot 180 grain Speer Mag Tips into 1" groups at 100 yards every time out. I'm sitting here at my computer and looking at my nice black bear rug on the wall that I took with that rifle. I like this rifle just fine. My rifle has a Simmons Whitetail Classic 2 1/2 x 10 scope. Hard to believe that a guy can get it done with cheap equipment but the truth is you just don't have to have a Cooper/Zeiss combo to kill stuff. Of course I like the higher end stuff too but I don't have a problem hitting the the woods with lower end stuff. I've got better stuff but that Winchester/Simmons will work just fine. Don't junk that scope. They are great on 22 rimfire. Ask me how I know.......

Last edited by Sportdog; 11/07/13.
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Good to hear these comments. I had been thinking of a cheap Savage Axis or something in that range. So this rifle is better and I just want a good shooter that has a good action. There will be a 40mm Redfield scope installed and the stock may be upgraded. This will be my bad weather rifle backup so my sweet Savage 99 doesn't have to go out in the ice and rain.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Technoman or Anyone -

Can you describe the/any difference between the 70 Sporter and the 70 Winlite?

From that pic, I can't see any.

I have a 70 Winlite in 300 WM, 26" bll and it IS light.

BTW - A Great Shooter.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwall
Technoman or Anyone -

Can you describe the/any difference between the 70 Sporter and the 70 Winlite?

From that pic, I can't see any.

I have a 70 Winlite in 300 WM, 26" bll and it IS light.

BTW - A Great Shooter.

I believe the Winlite has the McMillan FWT stock. Otherwise, the basic difference between the rifle pictured and yours is going to be the finish. The one in the picture has a basic POS Plastic/Composite stock from Winchester.

Your Winlite should have a polished blued finish as well rather than the matte finish of the Wallyworld special.

Last edited by Technoman26; 11/07/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Winlite stock on my '69 sporter 270. The sporter contour is a bit much for it IMO, but it shoots like a mofo
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 16bore; 11/07/13. Reason: Pic
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A buddy of mine got one of those a few years back, they were marketed as "Black Shadow" I think. It was in 270wsm, was accurate but as others said that stock ain't the best thing ever.

I figure you got a good rifle for your money in a fine cartridge. Replace the stock if you can, if not it will still be serviceable.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have one in 30.06. It's one of my best shooting rifles. Very smooth action and does have some quality to it. Mine came with the Simmons 8 pt but I swapped that out for a vxII. Great for the price.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Good rifles. But that is about $100 more than I'd give for one. Especially if you plan on swapping the stock.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Technoman26

Your Winlite should have a polished blued finish as well rather than the matte finish of the Wallyworld special.

Yep, had to go check.

THANKS

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
S
I have the same rifle, and I recently "re-discovered" it. The action on mine is very smooth, and I was getting 1 1/2" 100 yard groups with bulk ammunition, which for me is decent shooting. Even the stock is fine for what it is, no frills but very functional.

I happen to like the ungainly looking picatinny rails on my actions, and Warne makes one for this in steel which I use and would recommend. The push feed Winchesters are a very under-rated action in my opinion. Use yours as-is, or perhaps free float the barrel and bed the action. I may do that with mine down the road.

It has a blind magazine, if you go down the stock upgrade route, costs will start to add up, like getting a steel or aluminum bottom metal from Pacific Tool and Gauge. But the rifle will work fine as is. Mine is one of my better shooting rifles, though the trigger is heavy too, as you found. The trigger design can be easily adjusted.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought mine at Walmart for $379 in 270. It's a great rifle for the money. No frills, just performance. I used the package scope for the first year and switched it out the next year. It shoots so much better with a quality scope. I put the original scope on a 22 and it broke after a couple hundred rounds. I love it.

S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Same a Winmodel70, my first rifle bought at walmart for the same price. Junked the scope now has VX-3 3.5-10 CDS with TMR.

Shot a 1 7/8 3 shot group off a bipod at 600 last month with 150 nosler partitions. Ladder tested load with R22. That is WITH the factory tupperware. I don't mind it, mine likes full bedding as I tried a laminate once FF and didn't like it. When I came across the same model used in .300WM I jumped on it.

Now on my .270 I replaced the plastic trigger guard. The .300 was put in a Stocky's lW with thier 1 piece bottom metal. Very nice.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Black Shadows rock, except the stock.

E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
It should be ready next week with a Redfield scope and a trigger job. Thanks for all the replies! It has a nice tight action that looks much better than most entry level centerfire bolts. For a Hogue stock, it is necessary to get parts to covert it to a floor plate action. And there are McMillan stocks available. To start, I will see how it shoots. Thanks for the help.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW, bottom metal directly from Winchester is quite reasonable. I'd give them a call if you decide to go that route.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (2ndwind, 10Glocks, 69sportfury, 673, 1badf350, 29aholic, 40 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,847
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.