Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sidepass
Yes sir he does good work. couple months ago he did a side swing safety on a Sako FN Mauser from the fifties in 300 H&H mag. put it in a cheap plastic stock to see if it shoots. Boy does it! It's now waiting on a Mcwoody from Mcmillan and will go to Charlie Santoni to be coated.Have some S&K rings and bases ready.

Of course, pictures need to follow...

DF

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Without a doubt. That sounds real nice.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Absoluty!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I had never thought of the 9.3x62 as a LR hunting round until reading some of these posts. You guys got me to thinking, which can be dangerous... shocked

This is a very accurate round and is a bit of a thumper. So, why not. Any round that can go sub MOA and retain enough KE to whack something at a distance is a candidate for a LR hunting rig.

I'm going to mount a more appropriate scope on my 9.3x62 and see what it will do out to 4-500 yds. with 250 gr. NAB's. I'll use Talley QD's, so I can remount my VX-6 1-6x24 for woods hunting. A VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS comes to mind.

DF

That sounds like it would be a great combo to dial out further...

Just gotta find the right 30-06 and JES is going to get some more business I think...

Sure, rub it in grin...Getting excited about your elk hunt down here???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sure, rub it in grin...Getting excited about your elk hunt down here???

Heck yeah, headed to the airport in about 15 minutes.. I will be in Portland early this afternoon... Onto Mt. Emily shortly thereafter.

Semper Fi
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Good luck. Heading out to Colorado myself tomorrow morning .

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Lot of off topic BS posted in this thread.

Originally Posted by realitycheck
Any info/experience with the 9.3x62 Mauser round and its performance on large game?Any opinions on its worth? Is it in the same class as the .375 HandH or is that just hype? I already know the ballistic charts,i can read them,im asking for experience. Thank you for looking.

Answers in Order:
Experience Yes,
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If used for its intended purpose (large soft skinned game) it can do what the .375H&H can do. Same class ? Possibly.

Well worth the purchase. Easy,accurate and economical to reload.

DG ? There are better (larger) cartridges.

It is a conventional cartridge for use on soft skinned game. I have found most 286 grain premium projectiles often under expand and have little if no advantages over a 286/285 conventional soft point.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
barrel specs please

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
25" Pre-chambered and screwed, Lothar Walther 1 in 14.2" #722 profile.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/270.php

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Walther makes a great barrel. They're made out of really tough steel and I've heard gunsmiths complain about how hard Walther steel is on their reamers. When confronted with this issue, a Walther tech told me those gunsmiths just didn't know how to ream a chamber, which sounded a bit cold and condescending to me. I think Walther steel is tough to machine.

Thru a Hawkeye bore scope, their rifling is beautiful, the bore is slick without any tool marks. My .404J build has a SS Walther #1450 contour and my smith rented the reamer. Although Walther has an office in GA., I was told that mostly AR barrels are made there. My barrel was made in Germany.

DF

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just got an M1 Garand which will receive a Lothar Walther 9.3 barrel next year.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RyanScott
I just got an M1 Garand which will receive a Lothar Walther 9.3 barrel next year.

Now, that's gotta be a one-of-a-kind...

What about gas pressure and cycling?

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
M1 Garand in 9.3... Now that sounds like fun!

DF,
Wayne at AHR just finished my CZ carbine and it should be back next week... It was a great little rifle before, can't wait to get my hands on it now.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Walther makes a great barrel. They're made out of really tough steel and I've heard gunsmiths complain about how hard Walther steel is on their reamers. When confronted with this issue, a Walther tech told me those gunsmiths just didn't know how to ream a chamber, which sounded a bit cold and condescending to me. I think Walther steel is tough to machine.

Thru a Hawkeye bore scope, their rifling is beautiful, the bore is slick without any tool marks. My .404J build has a SS Walther #1450 contour and my smith rented the reamer. Although Walther has an office in GA., I was told that mostly AR barrels are made there. My barrel was made in Germany.

DF

I just had a my gunsmith screw and chamber a German made .25 cal. Lothar Walther, special order blank into a 250-3000 (+0.035" throat). He used a reamer and throater sourced from the USA. No problems. IMNSHM, another internet myth.

They are so smooth I have never had to worry about running them in. I own three, 250-3000, 7x57 and 9.3x62.

My 9.3 barrel has 880 rounds down it and still shoots as accurately as day one. Then again, the 9.3x62 isn't a high intensity cartridge and I expect it to out last me.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TrevorG
M1 Garand in 9.3... Now that sounds like fun!

DF,
Wayne at AHR just finished my CZ carbine and it should be back next week... It was a great little rifle before, can't wait to get my hands on it now.

If this is your first experience with Wayne and company, you're gonna be impressed. Those guys know how to tweak a CZ, for sure.

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It is my first but won't be my last.
Wayne was very pleasant and professional to deal with and he finished the work early!

I may have to pick up another 550 in 30-06 and send it off to him.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RyanScott

Now, that's gotta be a one-of-a-kind...

What about gas pressure and cycling?

DF

It's a catalog item. Given the low pressure and forgiving expansion ratio I expect no issues.

Bear gun!

Maybe elephant too if Zimbanwe will let me.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I don't think Zim or any African countries will allow autoloading rifles. Those in the know can confirm or deny.

DF

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Walther makes a great barrel. They're made out of really tough steel and I've heard gunsmiths complain about how hard Walther steel is on their reamers. When confronted with this issue, a Walther tech told me those gunsmiths just didn't know how to ream a chamber, which sounded a bit cold and condescending to me. I think Walther steel is tough to machine.DF

Utter and total bullshit. Their SS barrels require a much more agressive feed rate than many are accustomed to and consequently, many have problems chambering those barrels. Their Non-SS barrels ream like butter. And the only ones complaining about them are those who have never actually chambered a LW non-SS barrel and read about how difficult they can be on the internet.

I have installed dozens of LW barrels and never once had an issue with them. All have been exceptional shooters and a tremendous value.

The most common caliber/chambering I install is the 9,3x62, followed not too distantly by the 6.5x55 and then by the 9,3x64.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Appreciate your input.

I can only report what I'm told, as I'm not a smith with a lathe.

That's pretty much what the Walther tech was saying, but I have no way to sort out the facts.

I do like their barrels and love the slick bore surface as seen thru the bore scope.

And, did I say they really shoot...?

DF

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 69 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,431
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.