Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi guys,

I have a sincere question for you all and I hope it's taken seriously.
While out hunting, camping, hiking etc... have any of you experienced anything spooky or unexplained?
I just got to thinking that as hunters, we're often out in the wilderness in the middle of nowhere and I'm surprised that spooky or unexplained things don't happen. Then I got to thinking that maybe they do it's just that people don't talk about them!
So I'm asking you all, if you have experienced anything unexplained or spooky, please share!

God Bless,

Russ. :-)

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spookey,..yes. Unexplained,..no.

Was walking in my stand early one morning with a half lit moon. Heard a ruckus in some blackjack scrub oaks about 50 yards away. Saw what my brain momentarily thought was a spook, weaving in and out of the oak trees.

Turned out to be an ol' Holstein milk cow that had gotten separated from the rest of the cows...couldn't see the black, only the white blotches moving in the dark...

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
while walking a well defined trail through a thick wood, there's no tellin' what kind of animal might meander across the trail in front of you.

the mystical forest is full of the unexplained. that's why a lot of folks choose to carry "hot."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Out hunting and camping, no. One of the places I used to work back in the day, yes. Several times.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was felling trees for a road right-of-way in Oregon when I was a kid. i'd fill up my saw with gas/oil and walk the gas jugs about 20 trees away (how many I could cutand buck in an average tank) farther up the right-of-way. this was about 75 yards in this spot. anyway, I went back to the saw, started it up and worked my way to the gas jugs. when I got there, I found that a bear has mauled them (the jugs) and gas was still running out of the teeth puncture holes in the jugs. this happened while I was less than 75 yards away with a running chain saw felling trees.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Gus
while walking a well defined trail through a thick wood, there's no tellin' what kind of animal might meander across the trail in front of you.

the mystical forest is full of the unexplained. that's why a lot of folks choose to carry "hot."

My thoughts exactly. Even when I'm not hunting just bush walking with my wife, I ALWAYS have my my 20" SxS 12g with me. I always feel better having buckshot with me as opposed to just carrying breakfast bars...

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Out hunting and camping, no. One of the places I used to work back in the day, yes. Several times.

What happened???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Closest thing i can say is having the hair on the back of my neck stand on end and make me feel i was being watched. I stopped and looked several times trying to find what it was, but the woods got dead quiet all of a sudden when it happened, and i dont recall hearing anything until i went to start my truck...

Freaky, but nothing happened.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by BadboyMelvin
Originally Posted by Gus

My thoughts exactly. Even when I'm not hunting just bush walking with my wife, I ALWAYS have my my 20" SxS 12g with me. I always feel better having buckshot with me as opposed to just carrying breakfast bars...

so very true. we are responsible for our own safety and security in so many different aspects or avenues. Woodswalking can be a dangerous endeavor...especially when family is involved. I've heard some really hoary tales of hunters wandering onto the wrong property or tract and running into something that appeared to be sinister.

it kinds reminds me of hunters and hikers who wander into a valuable marijuana planting when they got off-tract.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Had the hair stand up on the back of my neck after dark a few times for no visible reason. Just that twitchy gitchy kinda feeling that makes you look around a couple of 360s. But I've had worse feelings than that in a Walmart parking lot.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good thread topic! Nothing I can remember in the woods other than a spooky feeling that I was being watched or followed once.

One time at home though my wife and I were on the couch, just talking, when we both heard someone walking on the deck. Man, I came straight up and was right there. No one. Nowhere for them to go either.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We caught a mountain lion in a cave, on the side of a very deep canyon, down around Queens NM. After dispatching the cat and gathering hounds; we noticed pictures drawn all over the cave walls. Flying saucers and strange looking creatures. On the roof of the cave, (about 20 plus feet up) there were 3 fingered hand prints about 16 inches long. I wish I had a camera to have taken some pictures.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Was camping with friends in the bob Marshall wilderness in the summer of 1994. I got up to take a leak and got back in the tent no problem

Next morning my friend who's tent was pitched right next to mind mentioned seeing someone squatting outside my tent looking inside. I told him I had gotten up to take a leak - you must have seen me. His response was no, it was after that - I heard you take a leak and this was a few minutes after you got back into the tent

Of course I asked my friend WTF he just sat their silently and he didn't have a good answer. That was a little spooky

Separately was tracking a big arrowed pig thru some of the thickest stuff I've ever tried to walk thru a couple years ago. Full moon and snow on the ground (rare in SC). Heard something coming and some low grunts. Me and my buddy both looked ahead (all 3 feet we could see) just in time to spot about a dozen little baby pigs who proceeded to walk right thru us. We could have kicked them. Of course we were terrified that mama was going to walk up on us and we'd have a fight on our hands. Battery was low on light and I had an SP101 with five rounds. Not a good feeling

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
a lot of folks might claim that is clear and certain proof of aliens. maybe they were in the cave, and remembering some version of the walkabout time?

when one is on a walkabout, the safe plan would be to remain armed to the hilt. just in case.

this is one of the better outdoor walkabout threads I have read in a spell.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nah....seen a ton of strange things but they don't frighten me. I keep reminding myself I'm at the top of the food chain!

Did see a black man carrying a bloody axe through the woods one day when I was a young kid....me and my buddy were hiding from him as he strolled past about 20 yards away. Later found out he'd killed a person that afternoon.I'm not kidding....100% truth. That was certainly a little disconcerting!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Gus
a lot of folks might claim that is clear and certain proof of aliens. maybe they were in the cave, and remembering some version of the walkabout time?

when one is on a walkabout, the safe plan would be to remain armed to the hilt. just in case.

this is one of the better outdoor walkabout threads I have read in a spell.

Gus, a lot of folks might claim you are proof of aliens.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Nah....seen a ton of strange things but they don't frighten me. I keep reminding myself I'm at the top of the food chain!

Did see a black man carrying a bloody axe through the woods one day when I was a young kid....me and my buddy were hiding from him as he strolled past about 20 yards away. Later found out he'd killed a person that afternoon.I'm not kidding....100% truth. That was certainly a little disconcerting!

Dayom. It probably wouldn't have ended good had he seen you. PTL he didn't.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A couple of times when hunting on calm windless mornings, waiting
for the sun to come up and you hear animals walking around in the dark. I heard something fall or jump out of a tree one morning, most likely a raccoon, and heard it shuffle off through
the fall leaves. Of course in the dark your thinking of something
larger.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I saw my full name on a fresh grave marker on a little hill top in Alabama while deer hunting back in the 1980's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lots of spooky, none of it unexplained after investigation

i.e. black night noise crunching through the fresh snow, snort, didn't see it but had to be a moose

walking up on a 9 ft. bear feeding on a caribou kill in the dark, went over a little rise and there he was not over 5-10 yards away, he chose flight, otherwise I might not be typing this.

grouse flushing underfoot when I'm hunting and don't see them beforehand always gets my blood up! so many times all these years and it still works! lol

damn near stepping on a humongous dead beaver that at first glance thought it was a bear cub and worried about momma's proximity, really happy it was just a dead beaver that must have died from a heart attack the big fatty

only unexplained incident but not really spooky to me is there is a moose boneyard near the mouth of a river off in the woods aways. Looks to be over 20-30 moose have gone there to die, can't figure it out, don't believe there's any way hunters killed that many in one spot, and have a hard time believing they'd take bones there over the years, seems like a lot of work for nothing, nada about the spot is exceptional but for all those moose bones and there's a ton of them!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,820 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,579
Posts18,532,191
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.