Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,230 of 1,842 1 2 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1841 1842
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
We've got a week to go over here in MI and the old .308 model 100 Winchester is NOT cooperating. The target looks like I shot with my eyes closed. It has always liked the blue box 180gr Federals. I've tried just about everything I know to get it to tighten up. Anybody with a model 88 or 100 and have any suggestions?

I like the old girl, but if she doesn't settle down, she's gonna have to stay home.
Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the only experience I ever had with an 88 was a bad one. Picked one up in .243 and just never fell in love with it. Very heavy trigger, and poor accuracy with every load I tried.

The best advice I can give you is to add 11. Buy a 99 Savage and be done with it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good Luck to all the Minne Soda boys! We have a week to go so light the fires for us.

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
good luck, guys.
take lots of pictures.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SSB
Good Luck to all the Minne Soda boys! We have a week to go so light the fires for us.
Backatcha SSB-Gonna be rockin' some Youper talk?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We've got a week to go over here in MI and the old .308 model 100 Winchester is NOT cooperating. The target looks like I shot with my eyes closed. It has always liked the blue box 180gr Federals. I've tried just about everything I know to get it to tighten up. Anybody with a model 88 or 100 and have any suggestions?

I like the old girl, but if she doesn't settle down, she's gonna have to stay home.

If it shot well in the past it could be a bad scope,loose scope rings/bases or a bedding issue. Check the barrel crown too.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck guys. Wear your harness, and shoot straight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

If it shot well in the past it could be a bad scope,loose scope rings/bases or a bedding issue. Check the barrel crown too.

Saved me some typing. If it used to be fine, look for something that has loosened, broken or swelled. Don't forget about bench technique, too.

Good luck with it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As other Michiganders have said, we've still got a week to go so I'm living this next week vicariously through you guys.

Be safe, shoot well and check in with your stories. smile

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N

Anybody with a model 88 or 100 and have any suggestions?

I think I've been shooting 165 gr fed fusion in my 88 in .308

I believe the bullet is a boat tail soft point.

I use an old mid 60's leupold 3-9x40 fine flex mounted very low in a weaver tip off and I make 1" groups with it on cool barrel.

I've never tried heavy bullets in mine, not sure what the twist is, never checked.

You sumbich... I was gonna leave the 88 at home today.. Now I have to find a case for it.

lol.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm not workin today, or tommorow, or da next day, or da day after dat....

grin

I'm heaping the old single cab of Nate's 77 ford hi-boy with clothes, food and guns. Making a swing through White bear's area to pick up about 190 8' T&G cedar boards from his lady friend's lumber yard, then through the White Bear sheenry yard to drop off his flat deck trailer and I'm off to the wilderness.

Gonna be an awesome day, It's even supposed to snow!

Wood stove will be cracklin inside the cabin before noon today!

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I'm not workin today, or tommorow, or da next day, or da day after dat....

grin

I'm heaping the old single cab of Nate's 77 ford hi-boy with clothes, food and guns. Making a swing through White bear's area to pick up about 190 8' T&G cedar boards from his lady friend's lumber yard, then through the White Bear sheenry yard to drop off his flat deck trailer and I'm off to the wilderness.

Gonna be an awesome day, It's even supposed to snow!

Wood stove will be cracklin inside the cabin before noon today!

smile

Git 'er done Dave !

Hoping the Shaw family & friends make some great memories, this weekend.

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Anybody with a model 88 or 100 and have any suggestions?

I think I've been shooting 165 gr fed fusion in my 88 in .308

I believe the bullet is a boat tail soft point.

I use an old mid 60's leupold 3-9x40 fine flex mounted very low in a weaver tip off and I make 1" groups with it on cool barrel.

I've never tried heavy bullets in mine, not sure what the twist is, never checked.

You sumbich... I was gonna leave the 88 at home today.. Now I have to find a case for it.

lol.

Edit, I just found my clip for the 88, it has a few in it.

Brass is remington, these are 150gr core-lokt.

I know it likes the 165 gr fusion too but apparently the last time I sighted it in I had some 150 core lokts

IIRC the POI was very close to that of the 165 fusion I had been shooting previously.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

Saved me some typing. If it used to be fine, look for something that has loosened, broken or swelled. Don't forget about bench technique, too.

Good luck with it.

Charlie,

Good advice above, but I'll add my .02 !

How long since you've cleaned the barrel ?

Only reason I ask, happened to me this year in my pre mil Savage 99, .308.

Target looked like a splatter gun, took it home, checked every thing for tightness, thorough cleaning (solvent) & tried again.

Back to minute of deer.

Wet out & shot my moose with it the next weekend.

Like Dave, I'm using Federal Fusion 165 grain.

Good luck with it.

Paul.

Paul.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good Luck everyone!

As others have said, wear your harnesses and stay safe! Most of us here could not recover quickly from a fall from the stand. We're not invincible anymore fella's. Live to teach your grandkids how to shoot.

But most of all have FUN!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I no verkin' dis day eeder!

Went out duck hunting this morning and whiffed on some geese that happened along. Told my buddy, Man am I glad I got my missing out of the way already this weekend!

You guys and your rifles. We are stuck with shotguns here and although they shoot very good (2-3 MOA) out to 150, they arent rifles. Man, to think of some of the bucks I would have had with a rifle. And we are about 15 miles south of the line. Uggg.

Muzzle control boys. Both for safety and augering dem der deers!

OHH, one more thing. The boys and I went out at sunset last night looking for deer around the house. We saw 8 bucks chasing does! One dandy; 7 smaller ones. But man, were they chasing! We werent gone an hour! IT IS ON! We are hitting it perfect!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
The chosen ones (for opening weekend)

[Linked Image]

(only 3 are mine) grin

Plus a coupla shotguns for grouse.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy got a flat tire this morning. We will be leaving an hour or so later than expected now. frown

It's just the hunting gods teasing and testing me.....

On a happy note, my son asked how many deer I'm going to shoot this weekend, not IF I was going to shoot one.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the help guys.

Crown is good.

Running a Leupy Vari X II 3X9 and it's like new.

Mounts might be iffy. They're tight, but in keeping with the vintage of the gun, I have a Marbles Game Getter low see throughs. They're so low that you really don't see the target very well. Grew up in the UP near Gladstone and this is sort of a nostalgia thing. They've been on there for at least a decade.

The other variable with these guns is the front sling swivel. It screws through the one piece stock into a lug welded on the bottom of the barrel. Some guys say crank it down some say leave it a bit loose with some blue Loc-Tite. ???

I clean it after each season with Butches, brass brush, patch until clean, and then one oiled patch. To sight in, I shoot a fouling shot, then get down to business. When I have my zero, which has never been better than 1.5", I run a dry patch and it's ready to hunt.

I'm going to try the 165 Fusions. Technique is the same since I used to shoot competition in high school (literally in the basement of the school :)) so I think I'm good there. I have my 300WM A-bolt if it doesn't work out, but I kinda wanted to take the old girl out, she was getting lonely in the cabinet when her friends got to play every year.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
More & more, I turn to the "old girls".

Not the most accurate, but definitely gives me the biggest smile !

Paul.

Paul.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
bagged and ready to roll. Had a slight delay as I had to tear down an old High standard double nine 22 revolver. Decided I wanted to take it along but the trigger spring was hosed up. All better now.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Page 1,230 of 1,842 1 2 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

450 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 40 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.