Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Found two of them with i believe 3 inch barrels. They want 375 for them. Both stainless fixed sights. One has wooden grips the other has rubber grips. Ive never heard of these before. Anyone ever have one?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Found two of them with i believe 3 inch barrels. They want 375 for them. Both stainless fixed sights. One has wooden grips the other has rubber grips. Ive never heard of these before. Anyone ever have one?
A friend of mine had one and sold it to his bro-in-law. They are not to my taste but are a good gun. The reason I don't care for them too much is that they're like a model 10 snubbie...too big in the body of the gun for concealment. Lots of others like both guns though and to each their own. That isn't a commentary on how good they are, just one on my own tastes.

They are the same thing as a Security Six minus the adjustable sights. I think the barrel is a two-and-a-half incher as was also offered on the Security series. They also have a round butt frame whereas the Security Six had the square butt.

They are fine and the price sounds right if they are in decent shape. I'm not saying it is the end-all of gun deals, but it sounds solid, especially in the current inflated market. If it is something to your tastes, I'd buy it if I were you.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 11/12/13.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They are HEAVY and bulky! But, like all METAL Rugers, they are well-built and will last several life-times.

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you like the short barrel, then go for it. As Ethan Edwards has pointed out it's not the best choice for concealed carry but, especially with the 4-inch tube, they make an excellent trail/camp revolver.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hell yeah. It was my very first handgun back in 1980, just as you describe, about a three inch barrel, stainless, with the factory wood grips, round grip frame. Awesome revolvers. Not as refined as a Smith & Wesson, certainly, but they get the job done and are very rugged. Similar to the FBI-configured Model 65 S&W, but a bit larger and less refined.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
2-3/4" barrels probably. I had one of those, early gun before Ruger began to scallop the recoil shield. I had a 4" gun which was later and scalloped. Both were blued guns.

I like 'em. I fed the 4" gun some real rocks and dynamite loads ... 1930s/1940s vintage factory ammo meant for the original N frames. It just kept on ticking.

I don't remember it being heavy or bulky. Memory changes with time though.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I picked one up a few years back and it was a great shooter. A family member still has it.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had one for over 35 years. Great handgun. Accurate & super reliable.
I gave mine to my elderly Mom to use as a home protection pistol, and she loves it. Especially since she can't operate the slide on her Glock anymore.

By the way ,not too heavy for CHL, IMO, unless your a wimp. And $375 is also a good price price, especially in Stainless.
You sure won't be able to wearit out in a lifetime of use. They are built like a tank!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Im thinking about it because A i like 357s. B its damn near impossible to find a decent piced K frame around here. And C. It satisfys the horseshcit requirements for me to carry it into NY

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Actually A tad lighter than the equivalent Smith but designed to digest a full diet of magnums. I have a stainless Security Six and have no complaints.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

They are 2-3/4" barrel. I have had one for a few years and it sleeps next to me. I'd buy another or two more at that price in a heart beat. If you don't buy both pm me the phone number and I'll buy it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Im thinking about it because A i like 357s. B its damn near impossible to find a decent piced K frame around here. And C. It satisfys the horseshcit requirements for me to carry it into NY

You just can't beat em for the Money! I actually like them better than my L-Frame Smiths, & just about as much as my old 2.5" S&W 19. Plus the Ruger grips fit my big hands better

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I was thinking about trading in a j frame 38 on it but i dunno

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was thinking about trading in a j frame 38 on it but i dunno
An equal condition J frame is worth more money than the Speed Six. I like J frames and Speed Sixes. A kid this year playing my daughter's softball team yelled out, "don't swing at stupid pitches,". That's solid gold advice.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sage advice there. Good as the Ruger is and you are being offered a great price. Just break out the cash and sell the Smith if you want to only use the Ruger. Don't tread or you will get beat on that deal.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by supercrewd
I picked one up a few years back and it was a great shooter. A family member still has it.
My mom has mine. She's had it as her bedside gun for about fifteen years now. It gives her great comfort, and in her early 80s she can still pull the double action trigger just fine.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
By the way ,not too heavy for CHL, IMO, unless your a wimp.
I carried it concealed quite a bit back in the early 80s.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mine was OK, but HAF. The alignment pins screwed up the extraction star and ruger wouldn't repair on warranty. Would not buy another because of this issue.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

They are 2-3/4" barrel. I have had one for a few years and it sleeps next to me. I'd buy another or two more at that price in a heart beat. If you don't buy both pm me the phone number and I'll buy it.

Yeah, regular production Speed Sixes had a 2 3/4" barrel.
There was a special run for USPS Inspectors circa 1988 that was 3", entirely bead blasted, black rubber grips with silver Ruger medalions. If you are looking at one of the PS guns grab it, or let me know where it is.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Like the Security Six, a fine piece.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (673, 300_savage, 1minute, 35WhelenNut, 6mmCreedmoor, 2five7, 13 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,862
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.