Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm in the market for a scope for my new carbine length 6.8 setup and am trying to decide between a 1-4 or a 2-7. I looked into the new crop of 1-6x's but most of them seem to be a little more than I'd like to spend. Budget is $300-$400 and intended use is range plinking, possible 3 gun/CQB type shooting and maybe even hunting. I'm thinking that a 4x would probably be sufficient out to 200 or 300 yards but at that point a little extra magnification would be nice, especially if it gets used for hunting. Anyone have any experience with a 2x for short range, both eyes open shooting? Right now my leading candidate is the Burris Tac 30 1-4 but I'm also considering the Leupold VX-6 w/firedot or the Viper PST 1-4 if performance justifies the additional cost. Thanks for your help.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd have said either or 'till you said 3-gun, that means 1-4x. Not all three gunners are rocking 1-6x's unless they are going to a major match that they think that extra mag might actually be of benefit. Those tend to be heavy scopes.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sounds like the VX6 1-6 would be a good choice for you.

I've done the 2-7 thing and it's not bad but 1x is better.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I really like a 1-4X on my 223 AR. On 1X it is faster up close than irons or dot sights and 4X is all I need for most long range shooting. A 2-7 will give more precision at longer ranges if you plan on shooting varmits but the difference between 2X and 1X up close is huge. I'm not nearly as fast with a 2X scope. Never fooled with a 1-6X, but it seems like a good option if within budget.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Split the difference. I have a 1.5-5 on mine.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JMR40
I really like a 1-4X on my 223 AR. On 1X it is faster up close than irons or dot sights and 4X is all I need for most long range shooting. A 2-7 will give more precision at longer ranges if you plan on shooting varmits but the difference between 2X and 1X up close is huge. I'm not nearly as fast with a 2X scope. Never fooled with a 1-6X, but it seems like a good option if within budget.

You must be using poor quality dot sights, because the 1x isn't parallax free on magnified optics, and makes it harder/impossible to track the dot like you can on an Aimpoint/etc.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the 2 x 8 Nikon M223 on my 6.8 SPC

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
JOG, that's not exactly true.

The only advantage an Aimpoint, eo-tech or any other red dot has is in unconventional shooting positions where your eye ain't perfectly centered in the window. The advantage of magnification combined with a red dot is why so many top shooters and trainers choose the low powered variables over red dots.

No question for room clearing, the red dot holds a slight edge when used properly but the LPV isn't far behind.

The field of view on the 1-6 is so much greater than the 1.5-5 it has to be seen to be believed. I love the 1.5-5 but if you can swing the 1-6 it really is that much better. While there are a few options in the 1-6 field, the vx6 is much lighter while others offer more, better options. There's some great options out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd decide what percentage of your time will be spent doing close up stuff. If its 90% plinking and 10% 3 Gun-Hunting, get either.

Is a 1x better for shooting quickly up close? Definitely. Is your world gonna fall apart if you show up with a 2x? Not hardly.

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you're shooting a 6.8 in 3 Gun you're not going to be bringing home any trophies anyway. So buy the scope that fits what you'll be doing 80-90% of the time and if you go to a match just shoot what you've got and have fun. Then if you decide to get serious about shooting fast and close you can sell what you've got and get what's better.

IMO too many folks buy glass to fit what they MIGHT do at some unknown time in the future, instead of buying glass to fit what they'll DEFINITELY do right now.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
is this your only rifle? If not what optic do you have on the other one or two? smile

We all know that a jack of all trades is a master of none.

I myself have always wanted to buy an optic that would be best for Home Defense, deer hunting, shooting 1000 yards, varmint hunting, walking 10 miles per outing, 3 gun matches, plinking. No optics vender has obliged me by making this device!

Home Defense an aimpoint T1 with weapon light is hard to beat, and this will work for plinking as well. For deer hunting a low power variable is fine in southeast where I hunt, cannot comment on deer hunting in the west with it. The 25 mm objective can be awful dark and some of the IR's just blind you as they cannot be turned low enough, the one NF 1-4 I had was like that I understand they fixed this on the new ones.

To give an example regards good low light IR behavior, as you see the light coming up and it gets bright enough to distinguish things but you still don't have enough light to see color I turn on my IR then latter I notice before I turn it off when its an hour or so past sunrise that you cannot see the red dot at that time of day and light level!

Personally I would rather own a handi rifle with a good optic than a $3000 rifle with a bushnell banner on it. To pull the trigger and know without doubt where the bullet is always going to go is a very good thing.

Good luck!

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I think I over stated the 3 gun component. I'm not competing, just playing around with that style of shooting.

I have a 5.56 AR and HK93 clone both with red dots already. I can't imagine cloosing any of the ARs for hunting or any other situation where I NEED to hit something that's further than 200 yards or so (I'd use one of my bolt guns for that) but I can see it used for short range hogs or deer if I'm ever in that situation.

Last edited by shooterschmidty; 11/13/13.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
then your question is answered. Get a hunting scope with a decent power range, with decent glass, a decent sized objective and put it in an LT-104 mount. Get a decent mount or its a waste of time. A 1.5 or 2 or 3 to whatever with a 40-50mm objective from Leupold, Meopta, Zeiss, Swarovski, Burris, even Minox smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you are deer hunting with it then i'd treat it just like any other deer rifle. mine wears a 2.5x10x 44 phillpines made simmons aetec.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would vote for the 2x7. The great advantage of the AR platform it the ability to have multiple optics for multi roles using a repeatable mounting system.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One of the scopes little use is the Leupy 1.75-6 X 32 DG scope. Its reasonably bright , has a good field of view, can be gotten w/ heavy crosshairs, has repeatable clicks, doesn't weigh much, and is about 400$ where ever you look. Ive had one on a 375 for a number of years and have found it quite satisfactory for most uses. I use the blasted thing to hunt whitetail;s, with moderate loads. Its good in the bushes w / large field of view, and cranked up to 6X I could pop a crow at 250 yes if needed. Too much smoke to shoot a crow however.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm going to go see if I can look at some scopes in person over the weekend. I think I'm still leaning towards a 1-4 as the most versatile and because I already have a bunch of 3.5-10 Leupolds I could swap over if I ever decide to do any serious hunting with it. Plus, I've never tried a low power scope so it might be fun experiment. Plus, I called cameraland today and they indicated that the Vortex Viper PST 1-4 will be on-sale next week so it might be worthwhile upgrade from the Burris I was considering.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I was never impressed with the PST get Doug to send it to you on evaluation and look thru it a 1 and 4 power, just don't mount it and if you don't like it you can send it back. The one I tried had a very thin reticle and the glass was off color, I just did not care for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I messed with a friend's Vortex Razor and was really underwhelmed for the price. I don't know what they PSTs run but I'd definitely check it out before buying. Vortex has done a great marketing job, that's for sure.

For a cheap 1-4, it'd be hard to beat a Leupold VX-2. I got mine here in the classifieds for about $220 and that's a pretty common deal.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Good to know. I really like the vortex binocs I got several years ago but I don't have any first hand experience with their scopes. I'm also not crazy about the exposed turrets.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have the Leupold 1-4, I have always liked it, been on several rifles now on a 10-22.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (06hunter59, 1minute, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,543
Posts18,472,903
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.