Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
primarily for whitetails???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Colt anaconda cross draw belt mount. Red dot uotra dot 4MOA
I have shot deer with this, never running!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S&W 686 357 same side belt dray

I have experience on FAST follow up shots on deer with a 4" and 6" bbl open sights.

here is the dilema... cousin has several young hunters and just got a 44Mag Ruger super redhawk and will be carrying it for deer while the kids use rifles. the concern is having to go after a poorly hit and FAST follow up shots.

WHAT IS FASTER???
open sights
red dot
or Hollographic? as I know what open sights are like and know i would have a hard time following a jumped/running possobly wounded deer with a dot
but cant answer the Hollographic,the first person i spoke to said NO WAY at the Hollographic.

I also went to Wyoming on a few hunts between Cody and Yellowstone in Griz/Mtn Lion country and took the Colt the first time BUT chose a Glock G22 the next few times with 15 180 Black Talons.and spray.

Semi are not legal here to hunt with here.
please no keyboard hunters,
we are really interested in experience from those who used the hollographic and dot as to wich is better for fastest follow ups accurately?

Last edited by rem06; 11/13/13.

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
red dot

For me, this. The small reflex sights are nice, but unless mounted very close to the bore the reticle can be hard to find in a hurry. I don't see irons very well these days.

R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
thats where we are leaning, but getting input. I heard if you pick up a hollographic out of the box, good luck finding the dot?
mount it on a handgun better and a rifle better yet?

red dot at least has a tube to center down and a dot on a tgt

iron has 3 points to line up as is my experience, fast,yes accurate? not like a dot?

it is still a bit hard to put a dot on fast but accurate?

but as said, I have little hollographic experience and would like to hear that input? we were hoping it would be fast and accurate????

Last edited by rem06; 11/13/13.

NRA life member
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Red Dot, either a rail style or enclosed tube. I've found them to be much faster than iron sights for follow up shots on targets. I haven't used a holographic sight on a handgun--mainly because of their size, weight and expense.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The answer is " it depends" from my experience. It is less a matter of which may have some sort of mechanical edge. It is more a matter of the individual who is using it.

Here are some observations from a parallel sport (ipsc/uspsa and other fast action shooting sports).

My observation has been that a person who is very much accustomed to drawing an iron sighted handgun will be quicker with irons, versus being handed an RDO equipped pistol.

People, through muscle memory and repetition will draw a pistol to a certain height, as well as distance from their eye. If you hand that same person an open class RDO sighted pistol, they will have a difficult time finding the dot and aligning it on target in a quick manner. They will lift the handgun to a pre conditioned height that would line up irons, rather than a new, different height that will properly allow them quick sight acquisition with the RDO.

If you switch the open class RDO sighted pistol with a traditional iron sighted one and hand it to a predominantly open class shooter, they will struggle to align the iron sights, at a proper height and distance.

Hopefully that made sense.

If you have practiced thousands of repetitions with the handgun with an RDO, go with that. If not, stick with what you are comfortable and presumably competent with, with the traditional irons.

That is what you will likely find fastest.

Happy hunting! smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This ^ is spot on. For me it is irons all the way.

R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I follow you, I have learned over practice that, if i pull the 44 and dont see the dot,tilt the bbl down to the left a bit and WaLa...there it is. It finally went dark and in route to Ultradot as we speak after 17yrs of 44 abuse,so this became my opportunity to change methods myself if needed.

JWP, have you used a dot much on handguns? I definately value your knowledge and experience here.

I primarily use the 44 in the woods where 50yds is normal and 100yds it unlikely in place of a rifle. The dot works very well due to accuracy but "jump shooting" is different.I have always wondered if i had my dot out of alighn from center or if it was my grip? When i get dot back, i will let the dot center and adj the base/ring more.

Last edited by rem06; 11/14/13.

NRA life member
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No I have not used a dot system. Whitworth has and he likes them a lot. I think that mackay sagebrush is spot on

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Whitworth? can you throw down here.

Our current solution is a M4 with ACOG laugh

maybe i just need a faster dot?

NRA life member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rem06
Whitworth? can you throw down here.

Our current solution is a M4 with ACOG laugh

maybe i just need a faster dot?

I use red dots and iron sights. It all boils down to what you are accustomed to. It is obviously easier to draw and fire an iron sighted revolver, however, if accustomed to a red dot, it is easier to place a dot on the targeted area than lining up sights. I think it will depend on the individual and the amount of time they have spent with that particular sighting system.

I would be more inclined to focus on that first shot and making sure it is true.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The quickest follow up shot is to hit hard and accurate the first time so there is no follow up shot. Ask yourself this, just to keep it in perspective: how many people double-tap with a flintlock? ... but it put food on the table for how many hundred years?

Otherwise, gotta agree with what th' other guys said. Familiarity from practice with whatever you're using is more important than the specific choice of what to use.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IF you have a good deal of practice using your hand gun of choice, you won,t have a great deal of problems getting off an accurate second or third quick shot, especially if youve got something youve practiced extensively with using a double action revolver, or semi auto.
Id spent about a year practicing drawing and firing my S&W 29 double action, all in one smooth flowing sequence, when I first started out hand gun hunting and Id spent hundreds of hours at home with that revolver loaded with dummy rounds,and my holster in the revolver,practicing, drawing and shooting characters on my T.V., like judge judy while my wife watched her on T.V. (It annoyed her, but I don,t like that program, so it had the added benefit that she would go watch that program else ware leaving me to watch some hunting program)I ALSO PRACTICED OUT IN THE FIELD DRAWING AND SHOOTING AT A COKE CAN A BUDDY WOULD THROW BOUNCING ALONG THE GROUND
now to illustrate that ,muscle memory and practice are helpful here, quick story some of you might appreciate.
when I was about 23 years old I purchased my first 8 3/8" 44 mag S&W revolver I quickly found I needed to polish the chambers because several were a tiny bit rough, but a few seconds with a bit of jewelers rouge on a dowel and a hand held drill removed the minor burrs, and I went out and practiced a great deal slow firing double action at first but eventually building the skill and accuracy to do far better with time, so that when hunting season opened I was ready to go hunting for some of the rather large wild hogs that were tearing up much of the management area we hunt near my home.
Id purchase a 280 grain 44 caliber mold and we had found a decent load using about 16 grains of 2400 powder.
about 8 am on the opening day I was sitting in a tree stand on one edge of a long power line right of way clearing that was about 300 yards across and a friend was in a similar tree stand on the other side of the clearing.
I see him stand up and take aim with his Remington 12 ga pump and fire off three quick shots then he starts yelling he thinks he just killed a huge hog.
I get down to go look carrying my 44 revolver,in its holster , I get about half way across the field which is mostly waist high grass and I see the grass parting like a boat wake as several large hogs are running in my direction, directly away from his location.
I don,t know if this one hog was charging me or running from ,my friend but he was heading at a fast run directly at me, but due to the tall grass I could only see the grass moving like a boat bow wake until he got into about 20 feet, , I drew and fired, in one continuous motion, and a hog that easily weight 250 lbs dropped instantly.
a close examination showed a couple buckshot creased this hogs butt, and I found out why that hog dropped instantly, there were two 44 caliber bullet holes from the front, one entered the rear of the head where it joined the neck and exited the chest, a second hit about 3" further back on the spine between the shoulders , hit and exited the front of the belly, about 5" from the first bullet exit point, surprised to find dual exits,
I opened the revolver to find Id fired it twice double action without realizing it.
from that time On I was hooked on close range large caliber revolver hunting.
[Linked Image]

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=44%20Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun

a couple decades or so later, when it became available I swapped to the 310 grain lee bullet over 21 grains of H110 and have found zero reason to change
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690227
and before someone brings up the safety issue this was not some super quick holly wood gunfighter quick draw, it was a controlled well practiced draw , but it was not speed but control and repeatability i was striving for

Last edited by 340mag; 11/14/13.
R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
The quickest follow up shot is to hit hard and accurate the first time so there is no follow up shot.

Im sure the kids will be taught that! but ?
Murphy IS alive and well.

I am carrying 310 Hard cast over 2400 with a wide flat top, and we have a 650 Dillon. yes we shoot ALOT.

Im looking for input on iron or red/green dot and especially the newer holographic (which we have little experience with) and which is fastest.

who uses the Hollographic? very few? we were thinking that it may be better? MAYBE NOT?

Last edited by rem06; 11/14/13.

NRA life member
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've been playing with two holographic sights lately. One is the C-More, the other is the DeltaPoint.

As Mackay stated, if you are an iron guy, you will be fast as [bleep] with irons. No way can I keep my times with the holographics as low as I can with irons when shooting under 15yds.

However; I will say that when you start shooting @ 25yds and further, the holographics seem to really shine. Running up to shoot strong side barricade and letting 3 shots go from the 25 and fiddy is pretty GD fast.

Another thing I've noticed, is that if your holographic co-witnesses with the irons, schit feels a lot more natural and I can get on target faster.

Like anything else, I believe it is simply a matter of experience with the given equipment.

But I would also bet that in low light, from a blind or tree stand, most shooters are going to have a faster follow up shot with the holographics in most hunting situations.

GFY,
Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Another thing I've noticed, is that if your holographic co-witnesses with the irons, schit feels a lot more natural and I can get on target faster.

thx Travis
thats what i'm talking about! i am looking at that set up for my M4 co-witness, why not the 44? never thought of that.
Only problem now is my mount removed my rear sight frown
good input,I'll check out the c-more and deltapoint

NRA life member
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Rem,

The Delta is a much smaller package (hahah, small package.)

Smith advertises the C-More as being compatible with the CORE and allowing the sights to co-witness. They are full of schit.

The Delta works as advertised:

[Linked Image]

You can see the size difference between the two:

[Linked Image]

The Delta has an "inactivity" feature that I really like. If it sits with the hood off, it shuts down after awhile. But when you pick it up, it kicks back on. Pretty slick.

The C-more is switch activated.

Both have held up very well to duty loads in .40 S&W.

The C-More is riding on the MKIII now. If I have time I'll do some drills at the 25 and compare the irons to the Delta for time/accuracy.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by s4s4u
red dot

For me, this. The small reflex sights are nice, but unless mounted very close to the bore the reticle can be hard to find in a hurry. I don't see irons very well these days.
Same here - can't use irons well (far-sighted).. I have red dots on both of my Ruger SRHs.. With a lot of practice on the hold technique, one can re-acquire the dot very quickly.

IF the owner has good eyes, then I'd stick with irons.. Just my .02

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have red dots and Holo sights, and the Holo sight (for me) is the fastest and best.I have a BUSHNELL TROPHY TRS-25 sight on my SBH Hunter .44 mag, cost about $90.00, that Bushnell sent for a replacement for my Holo sight that went bad after about 15 years,and it works great, too.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

who uses the Hollographic?

I have used on several guns. But, like I said in my first post the red dot with a tube is faster. The size is a nice factor, but on my Bisley it took a while to develop the muscle memory to pick up the reticle.
[Linked Image]
I've gone back to the tube.
[Linked Image]
On my 22/45 it is much faster because the sight is much closer to the boreline.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem06
primarily for whitetails???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Colt anaconda cross draw belt mount. Red dot uotra dot 4MOA
I have shot deer with this, never running!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S&W 686 357 same side belt dray

I have experience on FAST follow up shots on deer with a 4" and 6" bbl open sights.

here is the dilema... cousin has several young hunters and just got a 44Mag Ruger super redhawk and will be carrying it for deer while the kids use rifles. the concern is having to go after a poorly hit and FAST follow up shots.

WHAT IS FASTER???
open sights
red dot
or Hollographic? as I know what open sights are like and know i would have a hard time following a jumped/running possobly wounded deer with a dot
but cant answer the Hollographic,the first person i spoke to said NO WAY at the Hollographic.

I also went to Wyoming on a few hunts between Cody and Yellowstone in Griz/Mtn Lion country and took the Colt the first time BUT chose a Glock G22 the next few times with 15 180 Black Talons.and spray.

Semi are not legal here to hunt with here.
please no keyboard hunters,
we are really interested in experience from those who used the hollographic and dot as to wich is better for fastest follow ups accurately?
Red dot is fastest and most precise, but ONLY IF YOU HAVE EXTENSIVELY TRAINED WITH IT!! Always go with what you know. On moving game, iron sights are nice because of the unlimited field of vision. But then you need to factor in other things. Where are you hunting? How much light? Lots of shadows, trees, thick brush obscuring your vision? Low light, or extremely bright light? You just have to consider what you normally shoot with, consider where you're going to hunt, then sit down, crack open a cold one and do the "Thought Experiment" to brainstorm all the scenarios that are likely to play out for the given location, time, conditions, and your training level. Then make your best guess.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,740
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.