Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by docdb
I have a good friend that has just decided that Atlanta is too much for him. He's a wonderful guy, and the best neurosurgeon I've ever met. He'd gotten a position (don't know the details) in Casper, WY and in passing yesterday asked me if I would like to go with him (I'm an ENT doc). As I sat in traffic on the way in this morning, and listened to the bumping rap music in the car next to me, I started day dreaming. I don't have to live like this, but Casper.....don't know a thing about. Any ideas?
Don

Somebody suggested you PM eh76, who lives in that area, but eh is taking a hiatus from the 'Fire right now. If you want to get some straight dope from him, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can get you in touch with him.

I've been hunting in WY for about 10 years--every year but this one--and I would say it's about as good a place to live as you could find in America, along with TX, MT, ID, and AK. Great outdoors opportunities abound. Medical opportunities are likewise good.

I actually considered moving to take a job as a family doc/ ER doc in a town not far from Casper when I was on the job search that landed me in west Texas. I opted for TX for a number of reasons, but WY and a job in Billings were #2 and #3 on my list when push came to shove. In terms of the medical practice climate, Wyoming is fairly good. Reimbursement wasn't as good as some other states I was looking at in 2010, but who knows what it's like there now with Obamacare coming down the pike. But cost of living is quite low there. Medical malpractice climate is quite good there. And unemployment is low, so you don't get much Medicaid/uninsured traffic, which is ALWAYS a nice feature.

As an ENT, you're going to want to be in a referral center, so that means the little places like Buffalo or even Sheridan are going to be too small to give you a decent referral base (Billings is the referral center for much of northern WY). I expect that leaves you with the choice of Cheyenne, Laramie, Casper, or Jackson. (Don't even THINK of moving to Jackson.) I know a internist/hospitalist who took a job in Casper about 8-9 years ago, he loved it there last time I talked to him, about 5 years ago.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We're talking Big, Winderful Wyoming.
I lived in Steamboat Springs and over time, explored a lot of Wyoming because it was fun and interesting.
The state has savagely variable weather. You need to be smarter than the climate, always prepared. But if you want elbow room and a few nice neighbors, friendly and accommodating, you really could do worse than Casper.
But you need to be able to tolerate wind and cold...there are no sultry nights ever. And you have to be self-reliant when it comes to entertainment and "culture."
One other thing, I don't know if dry, clear air would eat into your customer base as an ENT. No swampy fester, ya know.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
it blows.....

haven't read through the thread but I would assume someone has mentioned it

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I haven't been to Casper, but I've been to Gillette and Cheyenne and it beats the hell out of Atlanta. I'll never ever go to Atlanta again.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure." (Thomas Jefferson)

DON'T TREAD ON ME

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Glock2240
Find out if you have a job before you go to check it out, because you damn sure won't want to go back to Atlanta.

That's a fact jack.

I'd suck dick for Budweiser in Casper, before I was a successful doctor in Atlanta.

Travis
Travis!!.... quit bring up your youth!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as far as Atlanta goes ...brids fly over it upside down........

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
It beats the [bleep] out of Atlanta.

Sheesh, Northern California beats Atlanta.......

Wyoming?

Start packing.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lived in Casper for three years in the 90s. Great town and often wish I had stayed there. The wind can be brutal and seems to constantly blow. The economy seems very dependent on energy. When we were looking at homes there, the higher end home prices seemed much like what we paid in Denver. The draw for me would be the wonderful, friendly people and proximity to outdoor activities.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
A small explanation on our high winds: I was informed the reason the wind blew here was because Texas blows, and North Dakota sucks. This tidbit of information came from a Texas native that is working the North Dakota oil fields.
I couldn't resist, someone had to throw the bomb.

Last edited by buckcp; 11/14/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by docdb
I have a good friend that has just decided that Atlanta is too much for him. He's a wonderful guy, and the best neurosurgeon I've ever met. He'd gotten a position (don't know the details) in Casper, WY and in passing yesterday asked me if I would like to go with him (I'm an ENT doc). As I sat in traffic on the way in this morning, and listened to the bumping rap music in the car next to me, I started day dreaming. I don't have to live like this, but Casper.....don't know a thing about. Any ideas?
Don

I assume he's going to work at Mtn View Regional Hospital (Neuro and Ortho hospital). It has a good reputation. Casper is interesting. Here's my take -- Mind you, I've never lived thee, but I've spent a lot of time there, lived in Wyo for 25 years and my brother has lived there for 25+ years.

It's got every thing you need (chain stores and restaurants) and nothing you want. (culture, sports, etc.). It's windy. Its cold. Summers are great. It's a pretty red-neck city - dominated by the oil, coal and gas industries. There is an upper-class chic crowd that is doctors, lawyers and oil-men. Casper Mountain is right there for light outddor activities, but you have to head to the Bighorns or the Wind Rivers for real immersion in mountains. If you can deal with 8 months of winter and not much entertainment, its great. He needs to bring a woman with him...

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 11/14/13.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I've been to a couple of good rodeos there.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

It's got every thing you need (chain stores and restaurants) and nothing you want. (culture, sports, etc.).

No sports?...... It's got the Casper Cutthroats semi-pro baseball team. WTF more does a guy need?

Who the hell goes to Wyoming for 'culture', anyhow?

Last edited by huntsman22; 11/14/13.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Damn fine place if it hasn't been invaded by queers from Kalifornia or Yankees from the northeast!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I live in Cheyenne which is about the same size as Casper, three hours to the southeast. I lived in the south for most of my life and doubt if I'll ever go back. Yeah, the wind during the winter months gets annoying.

But if you want to live in a place with lots of public land, few people, low taxes and a government that pretty much leaves you alone if you don't bother anyone else, Wyoming's your place.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Does your wife want to move, or not? That is the question.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

It's got every thing you need (chain stores and restaurants) and nothing you want. (culture, sports, etc.).

No sports?...... It's got the Casper Cutthroats semi-pro baseball team. WTF more does a guy need?

Who the hell goes to Wyoming for 'culture', anyhow?

Just trying to be honest, Don. grin If they don't need or want to watch a good sporting event (outside of rodeo), you are gonna be driving 5 hours.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
She's up for the move, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to write. I might go through MLK witthdrawal if I left Atlanta, but I'd really like a breather from the civil rights movement, and the traffic!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was a rodeo announcer for a few years and used to tell the people that ANY rodeo was far better than ANYTHING TV had to offer. All rodeos are good but some are better.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I agree with the otheres that much of Atlanta is a rat hole but no coastline would be a deal breaker for me. I would look north to the North Georgia mountains where I could still get to the coast in a few hours. Wyoming would be nice to visit but I would struggle to live there due to no coastline. I guess I have been spoiled by a 3 1/2 hour drive to the beach.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don, Casper is the windiest chit-hole in the USA. There are FAR better places to live in the West for a man with your skills.

Seriously...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (29aholic, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 406_SBC, 1beaver_shooter, 25 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,915
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.