Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Has anyone here done business with these folks?

I have called during their business hours and the calls to go voice mail. I have left voice mail, but have not received a return call.

Are they still in business? Is this normal or have I just been unlucky?

Thanks,

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have no idea, but the more I hear about this company over the years the less and less I'd be inclined to give them my business. Now it appears they might not want any.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have two of their rifles.Really good stuff.They will get back to you,have patience.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do a search on this forum, plenty of opinions over the last 10 years.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I never call, always email. I get responses immediately.

I currently own a XWR--SS in 260. It's a really nice rifle and an excellent shooter. I previously owned another in the same configuration, but it was chambered in 7-08.

I heard the knocks on the actions several years ago too, but I consider their current production rifles to be top notch. I think they made some commitments to quality a while back and things improved immensely.

They're no lightweight rifle, nor is a Model 70....but I think they're what the Model 70 wants to be. I'm speaking specifically about their stainless/synthetic rifles.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a stainless short action in .358 Win with one of their lapped barrels, stocked in a Serengeti laminated stock that is one of my best shooting rifles. It will outshoot my varmints rifles pretty often. I had Serengeti bed it in their stock. This was the "old" Serengeti stockworks. AS above, it is no lightweight, but still handy with a 21-inch barrel. I also have an Edge stock for it for rough duty.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bought an action from them last year.....SSLA model 1999. I built up a nice 25-06. Here's my take . Delivery was on time. Action is very strong, rugged, and reasonably smooth. It gets better with use. It did not need truing at all. Measured very straight and , lugs showed very even contact, no lapping needed. Trigger broke cleanly at 3 lbs.very strong firing pin spring for good lock time. If your looking for a solid CRF action these are well made and you can build a fine hunting rifle. I had no issues dealing with them at all. I know they have a bit of a jaded history, but they seem to be on the right path now. Keep in mind these will not be glass smooth like the custom push feed actions, but they do the job. I screwd a #3 contour shilen into mine and she Will shoot 1/2 -3/4 " no problem if I do my part. Goodshot

Last edited by goodshot; 11/15/13.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the reasons the Montana CRF actions got a mixed reception when they first appeared is they were meant as a basic action for gunsmiths, who would do the final finish work and also modified the to feed the particular cartridge they were chambered for.

I have a custom rifle built on one that was modified by a competent gunsmith. It works great and shoots very well. Last year I also tested one of their latest syn-stocked XWR rifles, a .270 that worked perfectly and shot very well. As somebody already noted, the XWR's aren't featherweights, but they function and shoot very well. If I wanted another .300 or .338 magnum, they'd for sure be one of the top rifles on my short list.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the replies. I am trying to help a friend sort out some issues with a custom rifle built on the 1999 action.
It is several years old but was only test fired after it was built by another, nationally known, gunsmith, then it has sat in a gun safe until a month ago.
I'm hoping that MRC can help sort out the feeding issues.
Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mine was built in '04 and if I remember right, I had feeding issues at first until I bent the magazine lips a little. once I figured that part out, never another issue. I've killed several antelope and a deer with it, out to 450 yards. 26" #4 Lilja barrel, .25-06 in AcraBond (Serengeti) laminated AAAClaro walnut stock.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer,

1. Do they make their own barrels for their production rifles? If not, do you know who supplies barrels for them?

2. Curious if the action has a 3rd lug like a 98.

3. Sounds like they have a c-collar.

Been debating CZ, Ruger, 70, Kimber, etc. MRC has a lot of features for a decent price. I don't know how I've overlooked these actions.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 11/16/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They made and hand-lapped the barrel they put on mine and I believe they still do sell barrels as well as actions, too.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I just got an email from the CEO, David! Talk about working late!

We will get together by phone on Monday. He was very apologetic and was interested in getting the issue solved.

I will let you guys know how it all turns out.

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I just got a call from Will Parker, the Senior Sales Rep of MRC.
He apologized for not getting back with me sooner and said that they are a very small company and that he was out of town when I was trying to contact them, thus the delay.

They have sent a warranty return form and have asked me to send the rifle back to them to see if they can fix the issues.
He told me that this particular rifle was serialized in 2003, so that tells me that they are willing to address an issue on a ten year old rifle that may or may not have been assembled by them.

That is what I call customer service.

Ed

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They seem to be showing the right attitude toward their product, I'll say that.

Good luck!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
03 was when the just got started. I ordered one of their charter issue actions back when you paid up front then waited about a year while they made them with your seed money, got a great action for a really good price.
I had them polish the action in and out, added one of their hand lapped barrels and then they sent it over to Serengetti for a laminated AA Claro stock.
Gun came out beautiful, and a shooter to boot. For me they were a great company to deal with.

"The older I get, the better I was"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I saw them at SHOT Show a couple of years ago and the product they had on display was very nice. They are actively marketing their product and seem to be running the business as if they are going after it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not too sure what all happened there recently.

Brian sold the barrel side of the shop to Freedom Group, or at least he sold them 49% of the company. I've heard it both ways.

There's plenty of other rumors about what all has happened there lately.

I do know that Freedom Group brought in guys to "retrain" the guys in the barrel shop, and many of them quit. A couple of them went to work at Proof Manufacturing also.

Brian and his son's attitudes have never impressed me, their reputation for "spotty" work is well deserved.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a completely built rifle from them. It's a one holer and the fit and finish was outstanding.

I put mine in a Pacific research stock. It's a beautiful rifle. A bit heavier action then the model 70. They made the barrel for my 25/06 as well. I think they are an excellent producer of actions and barrels.

Maybe a bit eccentric to deal with, but what "artist" or skilled craftsman isn't.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had significant integrity issues with both Brian and his son.

They got pretty mean when they were called out for not keeping their word. I first dealt with Brian when he brought out his action at the SHOT.

I have never heard of anyone in the firearms business who were less trusted than those two.

Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,259
Posts18,486,403
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.