Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by BWalker
I would buy a 300wsm because it gets velocities within a 100fps of a 300 winmag and because its more accurate. I would not buy one to save a few ounces, especially so in a magnum where a well balanced rig that weighs around 8-8.5 lbs is perfect IMO.
In fact I dont want any rifles that weighs much less than that.

More accurate?

(5 shot 300 yard group 300 win mag

[Linked Image]

Any perceived accracey difference in the hunting fields is a moot point.

I agree 100%. I have owned a few win mags that were tack drivers and currently own thats just a hair under MOA , but with just about any ammo you throw at it.
It might also be pointed out that the 300 win mag has won more wimbeldon cups than any other round and that the military uses it extensively.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
OTOH if the bullet companies and the BR guys say the WSM is more acccurate I tend to believe them

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BWalker
OTOH if the bullet companies and the BR guys say the WSM is more acccurate I tend to believe them

The difference is so minute as to only matter to a high level compititon shooter

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I tend to think the average FACTORY chambered 300 WSM is a bit more accurate than the average FACTORY chambered 300 WM.

Custom, all bets are off...

Shooting only factory ammo, I'd roll with the 300 WSM.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm another fan of the 300 Win Mag,I have 2 a M700 ss and a M70 PF they both shoot better than I can. I have put quite a bit of meat on my table using them. Can't see the need to discard either one for a 300WSM .What either one won't do I'm sure my 03-A3 in 308 Norma or my M70 in 30-338 will do. Now maybe if I didn't have any 300's I'd look at the wizzums closer. Read a lot of nitpicking on this thread without hearing any whining about long bolt throw of a LA gun, sure glad if people are getting over that phobia..
A while back I was at a favorite gunshop at the cleaning bench working over a barrel of a shotgun I was considering ( they let me clean any gun I want to as they allways come out a winner on that).A dude walked thru the frt door saw me working this gun over and assumed I worked there. He walked over and asked where the 300 WSM ammo was and I pointed out the places where it could be found. He picked up 3 boxes of ammo and a 30 cal brush. When he went to pay for it I was standing by and watched him pull a couple of c-notes from his money clip ,he didn't get much change back. Well I know all you guys are high rollers and dropping $145+ dollars for 3 boxes a shells don't phase you any but the idea of it sure don't appeal to me period. Yeah I reload everything I shoot cept rimfire but still If a guy wants a 300 mag you can get 300 win mags at any Walmart for about $23-25 a box period any day.Not so for 300WSM. My common cts worth all 2 of them. Magnum Man

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
To hand loaders, cost of ammo is secondary, but I appreciate your comments.

Both rounds, the WSM and WM are great performers, both very easy to work up precise performing ammo. The short, fat WSM may have some advantage over the WM, but from what I've read and seen, it's minimal. And, for hunting rifles, to me it depends more on the individual gun, how it's set up and how it performs.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd for sure take a look at the WSM. The .300 WM rifle I current have scratches my .300 mag itch very well, now and for the foreseeable future.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had, loaded and shot both a lot. The wsm is kinder on the shoulder - in similar weight guns. A 300 wm can be made lighter but after having shot a 7lb 300 wm, I'll pass. A 7lb wsm ain't a picnic either. I think a guy can build a lighter wsm that won't beat you to death easier than the wm. I've toted my m70 extreme in 300 wsm around in a lot of high steep and/or ugly terrain. For me, its right close to perfect for what I do. I'm done playing with middle magnums.

My 7wsm fits my 'smaller fast bullet' small magnum niche for the same reasons. Their isn't much smaller big game that a 140 at 3200 can't solve.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brad,

Actually, my experience is the average factory .300 WSM isn't any more accurate than the average factory .300 Winchester Magnum, probably because the imperfections in factory rifles don't allow for the best out of the .300 WSM. Even with custom rifles, the .300 WSM's edge is so slight it's not enough to make any difference on 99.5% of hunting shots, even at extended ranges.

And a year or so I did an article that involved research into what cartridges various military and national police organizations around the world use for their sniper rifles. Most use the .223 or .308 for shorter-range stuff, and cartridges from the .338 Lapua to the .50 BMG for super long-range shooting. But for general long-range shooting the overwhelming choice is the .300 Winchester Magnum. In fact only one used the .300 WSM.

This may be partly because the .300 Winchester has been in use for so long (it's now 50 years old), which means ammo and rifles are easier to come by, and somewhat standardized. But they also apparently have plenty of faith in the .300 Winchester when it comes to hitting people at 1000 yards.

In fact last fall I accompanied a semi-retired Navy Seal sniper while hunting on a ranch in Texas (semi-retired because he still gets called on for occasional special jobs). The ranch not only offers hunting but does classes in long-range shooting, and this guy does some of the teaching, and also once in a while takes out a cull animal, usually so they won't breed with other animals. But the ranch also really represses the pig population, so that's part of the deal too. His own rifle for this work is a custom .300 Winchester Magnum.

Now, the accuracy advantage of the .300 WSM can be quantified in indeed labs and in long-range target shooting--though these days most long-range target shooters use something that kicks less. But in the real world the difference is slight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And a year or so I did an article that involved research into what cartridges various military and national police organizations around the world use for their sniper rifles. Most use the .223 or .308 for shorter-range stuff, and cartridges from the .338 Lapua to the .50 BMG for super long-range shooting. But for general long-range shooting the overwhelming choice is the .300 Winchester Magnum. In fact only one used the .300 WSM.

Which publication did this article appear in?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
All of the 300 Win Mags I have built have turned out to be quite accurate. The same goes for the WSM's I have built. I dislike both cartridges because I don't like the designs. If I want a magnum to fit in a standard length action, I like the 308 Norma better than the 300 WM because it fits the magazine better. If I want to fit a short action, I think my first choice would be the SAUM and second the RCM. The WSM is just too fat. Nothing but prejudice on my part but there it is. GD

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Brad,

Actually, my experience is the average factory .300 WSM isn't any more accurate than the average factory .300 Winchester Magnum, probably because the imperfections in factory rifles don't allow for the best out of the .300 WSM.

And a year or so I did an article that involved research into what cartridges various military and national police organizations around the world use for their sniper rifles....

But for general long-range shooting the overwhelming choice is the .300 Winchester Magnum. In fact only one used the .300 WSM.

In fact last fall I accompanied a semi-retired Navy Seal sniper while hunting on a ranch in Texas (semi-retired because he still gets called on for occasional special jobs)...
His own rifle for this work is a custom .300 Winchester Magnum.

M D -- thanks for real data. I say that NOT just because I like the W M, I'm not prejudiced against the WSM.

Regardless of WHICH one is/was more accurate, I appreciate facts.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by greydog
All of the 300 Win Mags I have built have turned out to be quite accurate. The same goes for the WSM's I have built. I dislike both cartridges because I don't like the designs. If I want a magnum to fit in a standard length action, I like the 308 Norma better than the 300 WM because it fits the magazine better. If I want to fit a short action, I think my first choice would be the SAUM and second the RCM. The WSM is just too fat. Nothing but prejudice on my part but there it is. GD

Funny you should bring it up. I've always preferred the SAUM design over the WSM. Really, a more true SA design, whereas the WSM is more of a tweener that's too fat and has too sharp a shoulder.

But that's picking nits for sure... the WSM's work fine in the right action.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John, good to hear your opinion.

I've never had an issue getting good groups in a variety of factory 300 WSM's (something like 9 of them), but have far less experience with the 300 WM, so I bow to your obviously more substantial experience.

I'm aware of the military's reliance on the 300 WM, but I frankly believe they tend to spec something and stick with it. And rightfully so, it works.

Besides, the 300 WSM SUCKS in an M700 action!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

This may be partly because the .300 Winchester has been in use for so long (it's now 50 years old), which means ammo and rifles are easier to come by, and somewhat standardized. But they also apparently have plenty of faith in the .300 Winchester when it comes to hitting people at 1000 yards.

MSG's Boucher and Lambert, at SOTIC in the mid 80's, put the M24 together for the Army. Both thought the 300 win mag was the way to go, for some missions, but they realized training troops with it would be more difficult. That is why the M24 was built on a long-action, is so it could be re-barreled in 300mag.

SOF units tend to favor COTS (commercial, off-the-shelf) gear, as they can use unit funds to purchase gear and ammo. Big Army can and will put your azz in jail for doing so.

Also, officers make money decisions, and rarely are they shooters, in any sense of the word.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've shot and loaded for multiples of both. In hunting weight rifles (the only type I have owned) I have never noticed a difference in accuracy that could be attributed to the cartridge.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got both.The 300 Win mag has many advantages over the 300WSM.Longer mag box to work with,bigger case,can squeeze a little more velocity out of it,feeds better.Now here's my kicker,in terms of performance,both can get the job done.If my 300WSM wasn't so easy to find a load for and so accurate,I'd probably say it sucks compared to the 300 Win mag.Maybe I've just got a good one and maybe I've just been unlucky with three 300 Win mags.They shoot good,but my 300WSM is just easy to get to shoot good.It's much like a 308.It just flat shoots and kills with authority.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Derek Rodgers won the 2010 F-Class National Championship with the WSM.

New F-Open Champ Derek Rodgers was shooting a 300 WSM with 210-grain bullets. This heavy bullet/short magnum combo performed well in the windy afternoon conditions during Sunday�s afternoon matches. Most of the other top F-Open competitors were shooting a .284 Win or some other 7mm. Charles Ballard told us told us: �with so many guys shooting 7mms this year, the competition is tougher than ever. If I had a caliber advantage before� that�s gone. With the winds we had in the afternoons, I�m not surprised Derek Rogers did well with his 300 WSM and the heavy bullets. I want to congratulate Derek on his well-deserved win.�

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Somebody needs to break out a 20mm and whoop those .30s in F-class. smile

Islam is a terrorist organization.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
To me the benefits of a 300 Win mag are slight but could theoretically be the following:
1. better performance with 200 grain bullets
2. longer case provides more reliable feeding in high pressure situations where the bolt is cranked rapidly-whether for dangerous game or non-dangerous game
3. the belt could theoretically give better bore alignment when the cases are full-length sized with some slop for maximum feed reliability in dirty/dusty feed conditions

I realize all these points can be trivialized--but we are talking trivia-so this is my viewpoint on the trivial advantages of the standard 300 WM.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 11/21/13.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Derek Rodgers won the 2010 F-Class National Championship with the WSM.

New F-Open Champ Derek Rodgers was shooting a 300 WSM with 210-grain bullets. This heavy bullet/short magnum combo performed well in the windy afternoon conditions during Sunday�s afternoon matches. Most of the other top F-Open competitors were shooting a .284 Win or some other 7mm. Charles Ballard told us told us: �with so many guys shooting 7mms this year, the competition is tougher than ever. If I had a caliber advantage before� that�s gone. With the winds we had in the afternoons, I�m not surprised Derek Rogers did well with his 300 WSM and the heavy bullets. I want to congratulate Derek on his well-deserved win.�

It would be hard to prove that he could not won this match with a well-tuned 300 WM--all things being equal.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.