Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Thanks for the report, Ingwe. That 64 sounds promising. I think you'd like the 62 TSX a lot too.

Have you clocked the 62 TSXs? Are you getting the speeds you think you should?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
I'm still mad at you for shooting that Bighorn. I never got to do that��

You ain't got Bighorns in Montucky.....?

Here's the one I really wanted to tag...in my field...Mr. Slick as we call him

[Linked Image]

wink

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
We have Bighorns in Montucky, and the only time I ever drew a tag,I got in an accident and blew up my left ankle,spent over a year on crutches. In the ER I was whining big time and they kep asking " Does it hurt??" And I kept replying " NOOOOOOO�I got a sheep tag!" cry cry cry

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm sure she did, its April Vokey and she is as skilled and as experienced as any flyfisher on the planet.
Cool to watch her with a Spey Rod.

Yes! That's her. Now I remember her. I couldn't put the name with the face. (Pretty too). I saw a pic of her in that article with about 100 ft of line in transit. I like fishing for Erie tributary steelies. A far cry from the way she does it though.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not yet, but they've been accurate and knock the snot outta hogs with some impressive penetration.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We have Bighorns in Montucky, and the only time I ever drew a tag,I got in an accident and blew up my left ankle,spent over a year on crutches. In the ER I was whining big time and they kep asking " Does it hurt??" And I kept replying " NOOOOOOO�I got a sheep tag!" cry cry cry

that's sucks big time..here in Utah you can surrender a tag...30 days prior to hunt

if shidt like that would happen....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There might be some fishing pics mixed up in this thread too�.. whistle

[Linked Image]

Click the link....she is a babe..

https://www.google.com/search?q=apr...amp;ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=965&bih=442

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
how do you like them compared to the 53grain TSX?

I gotta say I like the TSX better when working on the meat, its a whole different and cleaner wound channel characteristic �that would go for all the TSXs�. No difference in how quick it kills. Accuracy is good with both, but one of my .22-250s with a 1 in 14 twist doesn't like the Nosler. My AI is a 1 in 12 and they shoot great out of it.

Given your fine description, I'd say the 53 TSX wins hands down then...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Yep.

But I just gotta mess with new stuff�.. crazy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the info. Good stuff..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Given your fine description, I'd say the 53 TSX wins hands down then...

forgive me for the salvage launching mechanism, but this is the result of some testing of the 64 g nosler out of a 223 yesterday:

[Linked Image]

i was a little surprised at the destruction, the pic, believe it or not, doesnt do justice to the explosiveness of what happened. id be lying if i said that i felt 100% comfortable about using it on deer

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
It works on deer, but it kinda works like that�...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bought a batch of Nosler 64 gr. Bonded bullets for the CF .22s, worked up a load in the .223AI Shot a deer with it the other day, and while butchering today did a thorough post mortem.
2 shots, first one mid ribs,but it exerted enough pressure to pop the diaphragm and the stomach, leading me to believe shot was too far back. Made a mess inside that we had to rinse out in the creek�2nd shot- buck was thinking briefly about topping out on a hill and going where we didn't want him to go, so it was a high shoulder shot to anchor him. Went through both shoulders, right under the spine, broke the off shoulder and caused massive tissue damage, oddly enough on the entrance side.
Second bullet was recovered under the skin, easy 2X expansion and a retained weight of 60 grains. Excellent. These shots were barely over a hundred yards, with a MV of 3150 fps.
Im impressed.

Where is the recovered bullet pic?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
As soon as I remember to bring my camera home from school��. blush

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Nosler is more destructive than I anticipated. Have not used a .223 for Deer but I have given it some thought and figured the Nosler bonded 64gr. was the ticket. Maybe not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom, your description of the damage to the meat will keep me from ever using those bullets on big game. I just dont want to waste any food over playing with new bullets. Thanks for the heads up on the performance.

I see the bullet performed very well with weight retention and expansion, but it still "grenaded" the insides which is not something i want to deal with. Especially with meat loss.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The bullet retained 60 of 64 grains...hardly "grenaded" in my opinion. One guy, two bullets and one dead deer. I'd not give up so easily.

The first pic is a groundhog killed with the 64 BSB. The second pic is the exit hole. Far from an exploding bullet IMO.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I expect the damage upon entrance was due to frontal diameter. The bullet is fairly blunt.

Here is a pic of the bullet sectioned. I did this as soon as I grabbed some to see what they looked like inside. I doubt they'll blow up easily.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 11/17/13. Reason: Forgot last pic...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Looks about perfect to me! I'll have to give 'em a go when I get a chance.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think I'll bust a doe next weekend. I'm curious too.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
SAS, that exit hole youre showing is what i was expecting to get. i bet we're shooting at the same velocity too (im using 26 g varget). the rabbit was about 120 yds downrange

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.