Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got another chance to spend some dedicated time making knives with my good friend Rick Menefee over the last week. Just wanna say that he is one lucky guy. He's got a beautiful family and is gonna have his hands full fightin' off the boys when those 2 girls get a little older.

Got to meet up with Dale A., Antlers (Danny), and J.W. got to catch back up with my buddy Mike Miller and a bunch of the guys. Also got to finally meet up with Larry Parsons. What a great bunch of guys. Amazing that there is so much talent in such a small area. Every one of those guys is a craftsman and a talented knifemaker. If you get the chance and have the means you should try to get at least one blade from each one of them. Their blades all have some unique designs and qualities and are well worth the dough.

I learned a ton of new tricks from Rick. I swear he's forgotten more than most knife makers will ever know. I'm not sure most guys realize just how much knowledge Rick really has when it comes to knife making. He's spent time was some of the best makers in the world and has more diversity than just about any maker I've ever seen. From slip joint folders, to liner locks to bowies to sub hilt fighters to tantos to numerous varieties of fillets and kitchen knives, there's very little that he hasn't done. The best part is that he is willing to share every bit of that knowledge. Hopefully I'll be incorporating some of those in my stuff in the future. Now I just have to order another $5K worth of equipment to be able to do a few of those little tricks. I figure another 20 years and I'll start to get the hang of this chit.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
mtnman1, you said a mouthfull. Rick has a machine for every step. the other day he was talking about building a machne for his new 20" wheel. I said why don't you just use this machine, the wheels will interchange. WELL,wrong answer. Rick likes to set up a machine and leave it. He has just about anything a man could want and he built most of it himself. It the truth be told, it would probably be astonishing how many people has has help get started or helped get past some obstacles in knife making. Ive never meet anyone so open to share their knowledge since the great George Englebretson. If you have not had the opportunity to meet Rick it is you loss.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sent a bunch of pictures to Dale so he can post them here. There are also several over on Facebook under (Michael Miller).

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had fun. I have a sheep horn knife. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 11/16/13.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Rick, quit being so long winded.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?
IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Mtnman1, It was good to meet you at Ricks the other day.
Always nice to meet other knife guys and learn some stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man, I must say I could totally dig hangin' out with you boys and talkin' knives while sippin' on a cold one.........

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You guys could make a whole business around chumps like me paying to attend something like this. Can't wait to see some pictures.

M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Some days it was hard to tell whether there were more sparks or BS flyin', but we had a hell of a good time, and covered a lot of ground.

Check out my new website

M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
A few pictures�

Heat treating blades�

Here's Rick cutting the packet open straight out of the oven.

[Linked Image]

Here's the Hot Blades as they are coming out of the packets

[Linked Image]

Rick is straightening blades as they are coming out of the packets

[Linked Image]

You can see the fan in the background as the blades are plate quenched and air cooled simultaneously. Each blade is also straightened in an aluminum fixture to ensure that they are straight as they cool. They're done in separate packets to do small batches. They drop to room temperature in seconds from over 1900 degrees in this process so you better know what you're doing.

[Linked Image]

Danny (Antlers) stopped by for a visit as well

[Linked Image]

Rick and J.W. working on blades

[Linked Image]

Check out my new website

IC B3

M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Rick already posted up a bunch of knifes in the classifieds that we worked on over the last week. (All sold in lightning speed). I think he may have one yet to post a picture of if he gets time that we worked up with some phenomenal Ram's horn.

Last edited by mtnman1; 11/18/13.

Check out my new website

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Show your picture Dale,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Some days it was hard to tell whether there were more sparks or BS flyin'

I'm goin' with BS on that one grin

Rick I think you need a bigger stool laugh

M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mike_e_miller
Show your picture Dale,

Laughin' you noticed that one was missin' and I noticed you didn't send one of yourself� smile

[Linked Image]

Check out my new website

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Everything is big on me! 17 Saddle but hard as a Rock the girls tell me.
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Some days it was hard to tell whether there were more sparks or BS flyin'

I'm goin' with BS on that one grin

Rick I think you need a bigger stool laugh

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dowell started a thread on George Englebretson. He was the guy that helped many makers in Oklahoma and surrounding states get thru problems with knife making. It was important to him for the next generation to give to the next. He was @ Tulsa Ok when Loveless started guild. He was the only one that did not join. Brutally Honest and would help anybody. Gies come down this summer none of us charge.
Originally Posted by Gies340
You guys could make a whole business around chumps like me paying to attend something like this. Can't wait to see some pictures.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mani would love just to be around and watch you guys work. Maybe have a few malted beverages and watch the magic. See where all these come from.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
So here's a picture of one of the really cool knives that we worked on while I was up there. This has a tapered Tang, Black liners, beautifully fitted bolsters and spun domed pins. There's no solder on this knife either. Those bolsters are absolutely perfectly fitted. A real work of art when you know all the steps that go into making a knife of this caliber.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mtnman1; 11/19/13.

Check out my new website

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So here's a picture of one of the really cool knives that we worked on while I was up there. This has a tapered Tang, Black liners, beautifully fitted bolsters and spun domed pins. There's no solder on this knife either. Those bolsters are absolutely perfectly fitted. A real work of art when you know all the steps that go into making a knife of this caliber.

[Linked Image]

Outstanding!!!!!!

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's one pretty knife!!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,782
Posts18,515,787
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.