-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
For bulk sausage (I haven't produced links) I believe the fat carries the flavor in sausage and it should be 35% to 50% fat; FWIW.

But damn it 2W, lets get some pie pics here!! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

2ndwind Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had always used about 25% Boston butt with sausage..... Had never heard about using pork jowls before.... Way more fat vs meat in those trimmings..... Also WAY less expensive to purchase..... (The difference in pork costs will likely fully pay for Eileen's book somewhere between 75 to 100 pounds of game sausage)....

The bad news is that if we discover that we like these recipes WAY better than what we have been making for years...... I'll be needing to start on cholesterol medication......

I was surprised by amount of cracklings left over..... After straining we ended up with 2 pint jars of rendered fat..... Left them loosely covered on the counter over night and stuck them in the refrigerator this AM.....

I had some sort of fatal error trying to set up a Photo Bucket account years ago.... Someone got a link to the equivalent of "An Idiots Guide To Posting Pictures On The Internet"?

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A local grocery has bags of pork fat for sale. That's what I get when making sausage and then calculate % based on final weight of product. FWIW.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the cracklings to add to ground antelope meatloaf. It was delicious. It is also good on salads, just don't tell your cardiologist! Also heated up with lime, salt, and hot sauce as a snack.

Sean
IC B2

2ndwind Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Made the first batch of Bear Italian sasuage..... Was real hard to stop frying up test patties so there would be some left to age/blend flavors.... Eileen's book reminds me of some of the "How to bake a truly great loaf of bread" cook books.... There are some extra steps..... But the out come is so worth it.....

Pressure cooked another bear roast..... This time with beef broth, cabbage and apples.... Good stuff.... We had thawed more bear than we ended up using for the sasuage..... Thinking we can now freeze some of these left overs...... Have to save room to eat the properly aged sasuage tomorrow.....

Jayne has come down with a cold so the pie tests may take a few more days......

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
For bulk sausage (I haven't produced links) I believe the fat carries the flavor in sausage and it should be 35% to 50% fat; FWIW.

But damn it 2W, lets get some pie pics here!! smile

you need atleast 20-25% fat to make good sausage. you are right that the fat carries the flavor but 35-50% is a bit much. a patty will shrink to half it sze when fried with that much fat. cut your meat into 1in chunks and season before grinding to really even out the flavor.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
50% is on the high side, but is certainly not "excessive", IMO.

Our target is usually ~35%, but it depends on how much pork fat we are able to get. It's just how we like it.

As a wise man once said, nobody has ever said it sucks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The "best" amount of fat depends on several things, including whether the sausage is cased or not, the other meat involved, and cooking method. Anybody who says X amount of fat for EVERY kind of sausage hasn't experimented much.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
A local grocery has bags of pork fat for sale. That's what I get when making sausage and then calculate % based on final weight of product. FWIW.

What do they get for pork fat? I can buy a whole shoulder at Costco for less than $2 a pound and a 15# shoulder makes a decent batch size when mixed with about 25# of ground moose or 'bou. And the fat cut is way lower than your numbers...

Sent a little moose sausage to a certain sports optics guy and told him there was pork in the breakfast sausage (bulk) and he said, "Hey you're cheating!"

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't remember what I paid, but I buy pork fat for sausage and beef fat for burger. When I make game sausage, I only add fat to the ground critter, never any other meat. I feel I have better control over the final product that way. I've made sausage that didn't have 'enough' fat and it didn't seem like sausage to me.

Maybe that's wrong smile but that's how it's done at Casa Ironbender.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We don't have a stuffer, so we only make bulk or 'country' sausage. We have a target, but every batch is different.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree that you do should NOT age bear (or pig). Bear meat is very similar to pork, so any recipe for pork works well with bear. Crock pot chili verde is mucho deliciouso!

Kevin Haile
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a bear hanging out in the garage...

I just love the title of this thread...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is decent if you like pozole http://wp.me/p3bCKM-4s

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 38 invisible), 16,740 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,878
Posts18,538,092
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
5 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.