Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Give Browning a look. I've owned more than a dozen and they shoot.

They're not a "one load-one bullet" gun. IME, they usually shoot a variety factory ammo and bullets well.

I agree, while the Tikka T3 is a great choice don't over look a used A-Bolt II or newer X Bolt.

HR IC

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Just get the Tikka....

Sage advice in a few words, bsa.

I have three -- one T3 in 6.5 Swede, two M65s in 30-06 and they ALL shoot bugholes. The T3 is likely the most accurate, but I have shot sub MOA out of all of them. The T3 has never shot a group as big as MOA -- of the perhaps 10 or 12 loads I have shot, the largest was 15/16", but the largest after that was 3/4", and several around the 5/8" and several bumping into the 1/2" zone. Hard for me to pick a load that won't work. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I realize it's a sample of one, but my CZ-550 is MOA or better with everything that's been down the tube...

[Linked Image]

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I would get a new S.C. made Winchester Model 70 unless you are looking for a beater/truck gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get the Tikka

Ted
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Royce
Get the Tikka- But don't loan it out- You'll never get it back-

that's what I've been saying for about 13-14 years now...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Another vote for Tikka. Mine shot so well (.30-06) I bought another in 7mm-08. Good thing, too, 'cause my dad now has the .30-06.
My brother liked mine so much he bought three.

The Weatherby Back Country was mentioned but you can buy 2 Tikkas for the same price and the BC won't shoot any better. I know because I have one.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Another Tikka shooter here that can suggest one without reservation.

My chopped 20" T3 .308 has turned into my "all around", hunt everything rifle.

Very hard to go wrong with tight shooting Tikkas.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
if you won't settle for anything less than moa, get a rifle guaranteed to do moa, such as certain rifles from weatherby, fn win model 70 (my supergrade was and is with factory ammo), and i'm sure there are others with that guarantee. anything else would seem a crap shoot. seems sako also makes the moa claim, and perhaps tikka does as well.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Of the guns now days
Tikka and sako are consistantly the most accurate off the shelf rifles I've owned in the past 3 years. they consistently shoot sub moa 5 shot groups and all have shot 1/2" 5 shot groups with handloads or the right factory loads. I owned a 223, 270 win, 30-06

I've had good luck with accuracy in the ruger hawkeyes also.
the one CZ in 375 h&h I had was sub moa also.

For me, If I want a sure bet, it's going to be a tikka or sako.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have never owned a factory or custom rifle yet that will outshoot my Tikka.

Damn, thats damn near unbelievable. Of course if its a sample of one Tikka I could see it.

Jeff it took me a long time to finally admit my Tikka .270 will outshoot my Surgeon .243 to the 800yard line, after that the extra BC of the Dtacs takes over and kicks butt. I dont post groups with my tikka because anyone other than a tikka slut will call me a liar.

To the OP, get a tikka of your favorite flavor, go with DNZ rings and your good to go.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Forbes rifle should be sub MOA.

I'll be trying one out when the short SS action comes out next year.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2013/08/16/forbes-model-24b-rifle-review/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gohip
Of the guns now days
Tikka and sako are consistantly the most accurate off the shelf rifles I've owned in the past 3 years. they consistently shoot sub moa 5 shot groups and all have shot 1/2" 5 shot groups with handloads or the right factory loads. I owned a 223, 270 win, 30-06

All of them have consistently shot 1/2" 5 shot groups with factory fodder and handloads?

A 5 shot 1 MOA factory rifle is a pretty rare bird in my experience and you've got 3 that will go half of that?

You got some special Tikkas... and should buy lottery tickets at your first opportunity, because that's better than any factory rifle I've ever shot or been around - and not by a small margin.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Of the guns now days

All of them have consistently shot 1/2" 5 shot groups with factory fodder and handloads?

A 5 shot 1 MOA factory rifle is a pretty rare bird in my experience and you've got 3 that will go half of that?

You got some special Tikkas... and should buy lottery tickets at your first opportunity, because that's better than any factory rifle I've ever shot or been around - and not by a small margin.

Yes, I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. the 270 would shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards, 5 shot groups, if I didn't screw up any shots and it was a calm day. you read right every tikka and sako I've owned has been able to do 5 shot 1/2 moa with no modifications including the original plastic stock.

Have you ever owned a tikka or sako?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. the 270 would shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards, 5 shot groups, if I didn't screw up any shots and it was a calm day.

Your Tikka will consistently shoot 1/4" five-shot groups at 100 yards? That's mighty impressive.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have never owned a factory or custom rifle yet that will outshoot my Tikka.

Damn, thats damn near unbelievable. Of course if its a sample of one Tikka I could see it.

Yeah, one Tikka vs. 7 customs. Finally realized customs only offer a custom platform, surely not gauranteed accuracy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And 200 yds:

[Linked Image]

How about 300yds?

[Linked Image]

Ok, let's try 522 yds:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of the guns now days

Yes, I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. the 270 would shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards, 5 shot groups, if I didn't screw up any shots and it was a calm day. you read right every tikka and sako I've owned has been able to do 5 shot 1/2 moa with no modifications including the original plastic stock.

Have you ever owned a tikka or sako?

Nope, but FIL has 2 (Both .270's ??) that I sighted in before every hunting season for several years. Good shooters, on par with my rifles, but neither was near a 1/2" or especially 1/4" 5 shot rifle.

To have 3 that will do that is amazing. Consistent 1/4" 5 shot strings is getting into custom bench gun territory.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
the 1/4" groups was the 270 with 140 accubonds letting the barrel cool every 2 shots. All the others can keep the 1/2" mark with the right loads and even a few factory loads. the 270 would consistently shoot 1/4 with the right loads, but that doesn't mean I could consistently hold those groups all the time.

My current 30-06 I took out yesterday and shot another 1/2" with 168 hornady HP.
Tikka and sako is what made me realize the importance of no wind and even what type of rest your using along with consistent shoulder pressure and grip on the gun.

I will agree I don't like all the plastic, but I just cant argue with that kind of accuracy.

Last edited by gohip; 11/20/13.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
As I mentioned on another thread, the best sniper trainer in the world, or at least one of the best, highly recommends the T3 for sub MOA accuracy. He said something to the effect of "you ought to see the look on people's faces when I tell them that, and unless you want to spend over $5000 you won't find a better shooter, and sometimes you won't find a better shooter even then."

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1936M71, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,528
Posts18,491,150
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.