-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It isn't just nonwesterners who do this every year. In Colorado it happens about 10-12 times a year. Also saw it happen in Montana too(guy from Wisconsin). We usually joke about it being a cheese head (my only case with one of them was mistaking a deer for an elk...and it was big deer too), but guys who live here in Colorado do it too. And not just recent transplants.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago, a woman on a horse near Sun Valley, ID watched a guy in a pickup stop and shoot a moose cow and calf from the road. She rode up and asked him about it and he assured her that he had tags. She believed him and rode on without getting even a description of the pickup beyond the color. He left both moose to rot. They never caught him.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Probably not rare since Colorado devotes a page and a pdf fact sheet to the issue on their website.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/hunting/Pages/Hunting.aspx

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Public landowner...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For someone from NY. Anything with 4 legs looks like an elk.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
NYC maybe. Not us Upstaters. Iv'e hunted out west many times and never killed a moose, horse, mule or anything else mistaking it for an elk. Never got an elk either though!

And we know that all things work for the good for those who love The Lord, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8-28
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sorry, I was thinking of the big city. I can't imagine any real hunter mistaken a llama for an elk.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by exbiologist
It isn't just nonwesterners who do this every year. In Colorado it happens about 10-12 times a year. Also saw it happen in Montana too(guy from Wisconsin). We usually joke about it being a cheese head (my only case with one of them was mistaking a deer for an elk...and it was big deer too), but guys who live here in Colorado do it too. And not just recent transplants.

Dam kid up North shot a cow Elk the other year thinking it was a really big doe!

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by LostArra
Probably not rare since Colorado devotes a page and a pdf fact sheet to the issue on their website.

We also go over the differences in detail (with photos) in the Hunter Ed class.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerstalker
about 6 years ago a IDFG investigator approached our moose camp and stood just talking with us for a while. after about 30 minutes he came into the fire circle and sat down to a cup.
all this time I was wondering what was going on. He finally told us he was investigating a 48" bull kill that had been left to rot. still makes me sick just thinking about it. the party that was camped next to us had come in from hunting a few days before and packed up and left fast. Elk season was running at the same time. turns out these folks had come up from a city and had spent thousands on outfitting themselves with the latest and best equiptment. 4wheelers with zero miles on them etc. they just forgot to learn the difference between a Elk and a moose.
22000.00 fine loss of hunting rights etc. one sad mess that seems not to be isolated. by the way the shooter was a woman, but her nimrod of a husband told her to shoot. for all they knew it could have been a camel.(or a LLAMA)

I remember as a teen, being in the ranger station in Lowman ID. picking up a firewood permit or something in the mid 80's and a call came in over the radio from one of the rangers in the field saying he had come across an elk hunter who shot a moose up in Bear Valley. The ranger brought it to the guys attention, the hunter was convinced he had shot an elk. Never heard what ended up happening, but I remember it clearly.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Partially in the poor guy's defense, in profile in the shade, a llama could easily be mistaken for a cow elk. However, once it's on the ground, all similarity is gone. To gut and load it in the truck is pathetic.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Partially in the poor guy's defense, in profile in the shade, a llama could easily be mistaken for a cow elk. Whomever, once it's on the ground, all similarity is gone. To gut and load it in the truck is pathetic.

The good news is, I have it on good authority that llamas are good to eat. whistle

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, they do taste good. I read that it was a feral llama and he didn't break any laws shooting it...other than the laws of common sense. He's paid dearly for that infraction, though.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This thread is hilarious!

How could anyone ever mistake a moose for an elk?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back when I first moved to Colorado in the mid-1980s, moose were rare, with just a couple of small herds up around North Park. A 70 year-old man from Minnesota, hunting elk, shot a moose by mistake. I was still young enough that I was thinking, "What's a 70 year-old man doing hunting elk."

Having had my first elk hunt after reaching the ripe old age of 70 this year, I realize that age had nothing to do with it.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I don't remember the date and the particular quake but several years back, after an earthquake in the LA region. The power was off. People late at night started calling the local police asking why the stars were so bright, if the quake had affected the stars making them brighten, and what the strange glowing cloud was in the sky.(Milky Way)

People who live their whole lives in big cities are, well, "sad" is the word that comes to mind.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Part of this, at least I think... is due to the fact so many read that you may only get a glimpse of an elk or whatever and you better be fast on the trigger.

IMHO thats POOR advice when we preach in safety, make sure you ID the target etc...

I let a muley go once, over 200 inches( it was killed a few days later) because I could not get a clear shot at it. Could have shot at it or shot it somewhere probably, but patience generally can lead to the cleanest kills... and the chance of tag soup, but who really cares enough to risk killing the wrong animal, or wounding one...

As to all the resident folks calling the NR folks the problem, you better look hard at your locals too, NR are not the problem.
The problem is uneducated folks, they come in R and NR variety all the time and simply due to numbers of tags, the R will have more violations than the NR....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lived in Pennsylvania most of my life and it seemed every year someone would shoot an elk in mistake for a deer. Never could figure that one out.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
mudhen you look elk-capable to me.... wink grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BobinNH

They're as different as cows and horses but, sad to say, this happens all the time. I don't know if guys go hunting without knowing what their game looks like or if they get some kind of mental block that tells them to shoot anything that moves. It's scary.

― George Orwell

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (06hunter59, 160user, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 270cowboy, 22250rem, 59 invisible), 1,774 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,134
Posts18,523,194
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.