Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I was going to put this in the Optics section but thought I'd try here first as this may get more response.

I am looking for a small digital camera...one that slips into my pocket easily. We have the large digital 35mm camera but it is bulky to bring hunting and even on vacation. Sometimes a small camera will do the deeds without having to carry bulk around.

Who has these small cameras that slip easily into a pocket while out and about or while hunting? What models of these small cameras are good ones to look at? I would want a small camera that is digital and can move pictures to computer etc.

Thanks for the ideas!

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would call Joel up at Camera Land and he can talk over a wide selection of cameras with options depending on your budget and such. Make sure you let him know you are a member of the forum for the best pricing possible as well. He can talk over the idea of weatherproof or not and long zooms vs. short telephotos.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have decided that unless you're going to take the plunge and get something along the lines of a Canon G15 you are best off buying a "waterproof/shockproof" model. Every point and shoot I have carried backpacking/hunting/fishing has proven to be a fragile POS.

I found a Nikon S30 for $99.00 and it took these:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Has not been treated well and keeps truckin'.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
As much as I love cameras, my Iphone 4S has replaced my point and shoots. It's small, light, and always with me anyway. The Canon G series are nice, and they have many interesting features (as do the Nikon equivalents, P7700; P7800) but if all you want is hunting pictures to print out up to 5x7" and post to websites and email, then all you really need is a decent camera phone. I say this as a guy who owns a dozen film and digital cameras.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Only a dozen cameras Oregon45? I think my office could double as a camera warehouse! I do agree that having a camera phone is good but I can't tell you how many times I did a shot with the phone and then thought about the advantages of having better lenses on a Point and Shoot. I have been eying the new Sony RX-100ii, but it is on the high end. One option Sony makes that is really nice is the RX-50, good quality glass, great zoom, reasonably priced, lower then the G series from Canon. Joel has them all!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Oregon45
As much as I love cameras, my Iphone 4S has replaced my point and shoots. It's small, light, and always with me anyway.

I personally think camera phones suck.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
valad,
I'm kinda in your boat. I'm looking for the ideal camera to drop in the hunting pack. I'll share what I've gone through, and how they did, and then I'll sit back and watch the suggestions come in with the hope that someone will point me to my next perfect camera.

First my uses;
1) I want to be able to share the scenery where I hunt. I think that hunting gets us into some of the coolest places with the most beautiful scenery that non-hunters will never see.
2) I want to document the successful hunt. Animal on the ground.
3) If possible I'd like to be able to get photo's/video of the animals in the field (those that I'm not planning on shooting, or those that my partner is lining up on).

I've reasoned that I need:
a) Better than decent glass (baggage from my other playing with camera's makes me a little more picky).
b) Excellent high ISO performance. Much of what we do is done in the early morning or evenings when lighting is terrible.
c) Decent zoom. I'd like to be able to shoot/video from a little bit of distance.
d) Compact size. It's quicker and I'm more apt to pull out a camera from my pocket than from my pack if I'm watching an animal.
e) Durability. I don't my field gear (but I'm not as hard on my stuff as deflave...dented, but none broken)

What I've used over the years.
I'll skip the film stuff, even though I think 35mm film was actually easier to get great shots with even with humble equipment.

The first digital camera I dropped in my pack was a Canon SD400. Very small. Good sharp images in good light. Terrible high ISO and terrible video. It fulfilled 1 & 2 and a & d. Used it for a long time.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think I played with a Kodak playsport next. Good for 2 and d &e. Not very good IQ. Gave it to my kids to use.
[Linked Image]

Sony HX-20V. 2 & 3, c and d. 20x Optical zoom. I've got some great images and great video out of this camera. But under some conditions, it applies some funky denoising that actually degrades the image when you pixel peek.

Using the in-camera panorama feature
[Linked Image]

Zoomed in at 20x;
[Linked Image]

when you crop down and look at what's under the tree, look at what the processing does to the detail...the infamous watercolor effect.
[Linked Image]

Canon D20. Underwater waterproof. Only passable images in good light. Passable video in good light. Poor high ISO performance. Electronic zoom only.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/BlingRat/IMG_0050_zps5cd97ea0.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/BlingRat/IMG_0265_zps13b5c8e1.jpg[/img]

I'm toying with the idea of biting the bullet and going a little bigger which opens the door to the Super-Zooms, or a Mirrorless...but I keep hoping for the perfect pocket camera.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/08/13.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Valad,
Chris pointed out to me(thanks again Chris) I had mistakenly pu RX-50, it should be the HX50V. Nice shots Chris!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks CLTPA,
With those shots was a hope was to show the limitations (bad grain in low light, slow shutter/motion blur, soft images, poor detail in shadows) you need to be aware of with pocket cameras.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/09/13.
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
thanks for all of the replies. I am now looking for shockproof and water proof camera that is basically a 'point and shoot' camera. with deflave's suggestion I went to Best Buy to look at their Nikon S30 and they had none in stock nor did their other stores.

So I checked two WalMarts and they are out too. I suspect that this Nikon S30 was their "end of year blowout" to make rom for new coming-out cameras.

I think I am going to go with a better rugged camera because I do not want a POS as deflave mention they do not last.

Still on the lookout for one. Yeah I know I will probably give up some quality pictures especially near the end of beginning of the day but I basically want this camera for use during the day.

IC B3

R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Get one on line... Rakuten

They also have some refurbs for $50.

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Oregon45
As much as I love cameras, my Iphone 4S has replaced my point and shoots. It's small, light, and always with me anyway.

I personally think camera phones suck.

Travis

Some do, but some smartphones have a very nice camera built in. For example the iPhone 5-series, and some of the Android ones.

But for the OP I would recommend one the Nikon point-N-Shoot talked about by others, or one of the Canon compact cameras.

Last edited by Ray; 10/13/13.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Best bet for the tough cameras are the Olympus Tough series. We do have the Nikon S31, the new model but it's like comparing This years NY Giants to the Broncos. The Olympus is far and away a better product.
Give me a call at the store and I can go over the features for you

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a used Canon S95 point and shoot and it takes great pics for the money. You could probably pick one up under $200.

Eric

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It also takes decent macro shots:

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by valad
I was going to put this in the Optics section but thought I'd try here first as this may get more response.

I am looking for a small digital camera...one that slips into my pocket easily. We have the large digital 35mm camera but it is bulky to bring hunting and even on vacation. Sometimes a small camera will do the deeds without having to carry bulk around.

Who has these small cameras that slip easily into a pocket while out and about or while hunting? What models of these small cameras are good ones to look at? I would want a small camera that is digital and can move pictures to computer etc.

Thanks for the ideas!

I rented a Canon d20 this weekend. It's a water and shock proof version of their Elph series. It's easy to use. I also rented a Canon G16 and it's a bit bigger point and shoot. It has a lot of advanced photos. The files from it were very nice.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last two shots in my earlier post are from a D20. Yes, it's truly a point and shoot, but the IQ was very mediocre. No optical zoom.

M
M
New to Forums, but not to photography.

May be kind of a late reply, but I was in the same quandary when my Panasonic DMC camera died. It had a Leica lens and 10:1 zoom. Great camera. However, I decided I wanted a really rugged waterproof relacement. If i go out for serious shooting I take my Nikon DSLs. After much research and agonizing, I settled on the Nikon AW110. This new version does HDR, excellent video, and really good pictures for such a small lens. And I don't have to worry about water or any other harsh elements.

"Some mornings it doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps"
Emo Phillips
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know how much you want to spend, but I have had a Nikon AW 100 for a couple of years now, and virtually all of the photos that I post on the Campfire these days are taken with that camera. It's waterproof and shock proof and it fits easily in a shirt pocket.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've enjoyed my Canon Power Shot SD 1000 a lot. It's pocket size, pretty tough and has nice features. Takes great photos.

For deer hunting from a box stand, I'm looking at a Canon SX 50, which is much larger but has a great 50X zoom.

Two different cameras for two different uses.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
today most cameras will do the job if you do your part. these were shot with Kodak cameras that I bought because they are easy for me to use even in less than ideal lighting and conditions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 2500HD, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,393
Posts18,527,822
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.