Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You always here about someone shooting a moose while elk hunting.

Has anybody shot an elk while moose hunting?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sure it's happened but there are a lot more elk hunters than moose hunters.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Plus, by the time you can get a moose tag, you sort of know what you're doing. Hopefully.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My grandfather told me of a time when he and some neighbors were hunting elk up around Naples, Idaho in the early fifties. They had chased a small group of cows into a small patch of timber. Grandpa huuried around with the intent of ambushing an elk as it came out the other side. As soon as the cow made it's appearance, he pulled down with his Model 95 and put one right between it's ears. As the rifle fired, he thought those ears didn't look quite right and he had shot a cow moose which had been bedded down and had run out ahead of the elk. Wild meat being an important component of their diet, there was no thought of leaving it and he said it looked much like an elk once it was skinned and quartered and you didn't look too closely. He said he was nervous about shooting for a couple of years after that and missed out on some elk from taking too long to decide to shoot. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Plus, by the time you can get a moose tag, you sort of know what you're doing. Hopefully.
In some of Idaho's better elk units, moose tags are a lot easier to get than elk tags.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
In some of Idaho's better elk units, moose tags are a lot easier to get than elk tags.

That would be nice. I know where moose are, but the wait is at least 20 years here.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In my life, I have seen hunters shooting a black angus and claiming to my uncle he was asking for help to haul out... and claimed he had shot the biggest deer he'd ever seen....

or their was the Californian, who was stopped at a game inspection station during elk season... he manage to have a cow elk tag... how ever when F & W inspected the cut up animal that he had in the trunk of his Cadillac taking back to California, turned out to be a mule instead...

and how many horses get shot or shot at each year by elk hunters who are from the big cities and out hunting for the first time...

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Yes, they do taste good. I read that it was a feral llama and he didn't break any laws shooting it...other than the laws of common sense. He's paid dearly for that infraction, though.

Hmmmm, reminds me of a limerick concerning a certain Argentine gaucho named Bruno.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
come on kaywoodie recite it for us. I love limericks

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You know what makes you mad. Most hunters have to wait at least 20 years to hunt a moose in Colorado, and you're only allowed to kill one bull in your lifetime.

It's a big deal here, and these jerkoffs just shoot one, and try to get away with it.

20 years? That is a long long wait....maybe you should move to Canada or Alaska??

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was a teen we hunted in northern BC near Chetwind, up the Burnt River.

The first thing our outfitter did was take us over to a 5 day dead horse carcass and ask what is was.

I said a stinking horse carcass; my dad just laughed.

The outfitter seem relieved and told us the horse had been shot out from under one of his Cree Indian guides by a Texas hunter, who was sure he had killed his first moose. shocked

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's understandable. Indian guides always ride on moose.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter
You know what makes you mad. Most hunters have to wait at least 20 years to hunt a moose in Colorado, and you're only allowed to kill one bull in your lifetime.

It's a big deal here, and these jerkoffs just shoot one, and try to get away with it.

20 years? That is a long long wait....maybe you should move to Canada or Alaska??

Not me. I never even thought of saving points for moose. I was always happy with elk.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by deerstalker
come on kaywoodie recite it for us. I love limericks

An Argentine gaucho named Bruno
Said sex is one thing I do know,
Tho women are fine, and sheep are divine,
Llamas ate N�mero Uno!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

OK, that got me laughing this morning

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen this happen quite a bit and I always wonder how unintentional it is. I have seen plenty of Moose during elk season and have no idea how you could mistake a moose for an elk.

I am still wondering about the op's comment about nr's means

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki

OK, that got me laughing this morning

Me too!! grin

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A local wildlife officer told me a story of helping a guy who got his son his first muley doe with a muzzleloader.

They were so excited and when he went up the hill with them they found a elk calf.

Obviously it was not a good situation, but the CDOW officer really felt bad for the two and they were ashamed when they found out what they did.

I actually helped the son and father the next year haul their first LEGAL mule deer buck off the mountain. They didn't tell me the story and I only found out later when the CDOW officer heard me talking about helping them and he asked their description.

They made a mistake, but they paid for it in humiliation and I'm glad it didn't stop them from trying again.

I know some would want to drop the hammer on them, but I did feel bad that a dad was trying to get out and learn about hunting with his son and it ended like that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I went through hunters safety in NY in the 80's we were shown pic of a hispanic lad from the city that had a huge deer mounted on his car hood.

Unfortunately it was a donkey.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
A few years ago I was driving in the Gravellys and came on a cow moose and her calf shot at the edge of a road. There were narrow tracks (small truck?) where they had backed up to the cow and prints all around where they had tried loading it without even gutting her. She was still warm. I reported it to fish and fur, and later that day when I passed the check station I asked if they had made any progress on the case. The officer a the game check hadn't even heard about it, and I never heard another word. No story, no investigation, no call for add'l information, nothing. I suppose they never caught up with the shooters. Still makes me angry to think about it.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (06hunter59, 160user, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 270cowboy, 22250rem, 56 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,134
Posts18,523,194
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.