Print Thread
Hop To
R
rta48 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have been working with a new to me Edge Pro - if I can use one anyone can and so far so good. So any special tips or tricks any of you have found?

Stones? So for the typical daily user what additional stones do you guys use and what brand?

Thanks for the help.

Randy

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Something I've found is that when I'm able to hold the blade flatter to the incline I get a better edge than when I have to try hard to stabilize it.

When I'm doing the tip of the blade I slide the stop down and hold the handle back further so the flat of the blade is diagonal to the incline. When I get to the base of the blade I put the hilt up to the incline as a stop. Both tricks seem to work well - almost too well.

I was also polishing the edge with 1000, and 3000 grit strips after sharpening, it really helps the blade keep the edge a lot longer.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
for the average user i think polish tapes are unnessary. polished edges may last slighty longer but lack the bite that the outdoor situation calls for. once i took a gec pioneer with the mirror edge to a river & tried to cut a piece of dry bodark & the blade slid; returned a week later with a micro bevel of 600 grit & knife easily whittled bodark. one trick is to use polish tapes to 6000 & then micro bevel to 600 grit. when turning knife over to do other side make sure you index on the platform to the same place as the opposite side.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cover my expensive blades with scotch tape to prevent the micro scratching of the blade surface. Grit gets on the mounting surface.

I've also removed the plastic guard on the blade stop to enable shallower angles on narrow blades.

Occasionally washing the stones with hot soapy water improves their performance.

On my personal user knives I only use a 220 grit stone, hit each side ~5 strokes, then lightly once each side and then semi chrome loaded strop for a couple of strokes.

Mark edge with magic marker to verify proper bevel setting.

Use a magnifier to verify complete and proper bevel formation. Lots of times you'll see a damaged portion of the blade that hasn't been sharpened.

Practice often learning to use the full length of the stone. It's MUCH easier to resharpen than generate a new edge.

R
rta48 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Boise, yep I really screwed up on my 1st knife I worked with. Thank Goodness it was not one of customs, but I was able to salvage it after spending a lot of time with it.

When I get something new I like to jump in and go. So I have had a wreck or two along the way. Thanks for the tips!

Randy

Last edited by rta48; 11/23/13.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Start with your kitchen knives - probably the best advice I could offer.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Cover the blade with clear packing tape, and trim the excess.

For stones, Moldmaster stones from Congress Tool work very well through 600 grit
and are very inexpensive compared to the high dollar stones.

http://www.congresstools.com/catalog/categories/get-subcategory/?id=27

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody use either of the two edge pro knockoffs found on amazon ? They both appear to get good reviews other than the stones and how they're mounted. The edge pro stones are interchangeable. $30 shipped with Amazon prime.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I find the blue painters tape good to work with to protect the blade finish.
I buy my stones from Edge Pro. They are good and I am sure the company will stand by their products should an issue arise.
I run my stones wet with water and a little dish soap added. I clean them with same. A quality, clean, and wet stone cuts much better.
I see little value in going beyond 1000 grit and most often I stop at 320 or 600 and then strop on semi chrome laced leather.
I do often kick up the angle about a degree for a couple of light passed before stropping.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Watch the youtube videos

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 50 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,922
Posts18,518,836
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.