-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Model7 with a fixed 4X leupold will weigh just over #7. My caliber of chose in that weight rifle would be 7-08. Recoil should be pretty tolerable too.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1. Ditch the BAR and get something lighter.

2. If the scope doesn't have a drop compensating reticle, get one that does.

3. Practice out as far as you can. Even if you don't end up taking a 400-500 yard shot it will help you improve your shoooting at shorter ranges, too.

4. Practice a lot.

5. Get in shape.

6. Study the area you plan to hunt. know where the elk are likely to be and where they are likely to go. Maps, Google earth, people familiar with the area, anything you can find.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I've got the cheapest solution for you.

Get in shape, and keep the BAR.

Bingo . I have a BAR II which i have owned for about 6 months chambered in that gay 270 Winchester with a Leupold VX-R mounted on it. Heck of a nice gun and I have owned about a dozen of these in either 7mm 30-06 or 300 win mag. This is the lightest one and shoots factory ammo as well as any bolt gun.....well maybe not like a Tikka T3 eek

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think you are over thinking it for sure. In all the years elk hunting ( which are a lot) I have run across a lot of NR hunters here in Colorado and they mostly bring what they hunt deer with in MN, PA,OH, everywhere and they all kill elk when the opportunity is there.

It makes more of a difference of how good a hunter they are vs what kind of rifle they carry. A lot of them from MN,WS and PA carry the Remington Semis, usually in.06 or .270,as they are use to hunting in heavy cover where shots are fast and close. Some carry levers ,even in 30-30. I every once in awhile hunt with Marlin 94 in 44 mag.

The horror stories I hear of missed elk, are usually with hunters who show up with a new rifle that they have no experience with or someone told them nothing but a big magnum will kill elk and they quickly get recoil shy.

Bring what you have, spend your money on good accessories, but not necessarily every high tech gadget on the market. Spend your time on researching the area you plan to hunt

Get in shape, but that doesn't mean you have to run 10 miles a day carrying 50 lb pack .Juts reasonably good muscle tone and cardio workouts

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I think you are over thinking it for sure. In all the years elk hunting ( which are a lot) I have run across a lot of NR hunters here in Colorado and they mostly bring what they hunt deer with in MN, PA,OH, everywhere and they all kill elk when the opportunity is there.

It makes more of a difference of how good a hunter they are vs what kind of rifle they carry. A lot of them from MN,WS and PA carry the Remington Semis, usually in.06 or .270,as they are use to hunting in heavy cover where shots are fast and close. Some carry levers ,even in 30-30. I every once in awhile hunt with Marlin 94 in 44 mag.

The horror stories I hear of missed elk, are usually with hunters who show up with a new rifle that they have no experience with or someone told them nothing but a big magnum will kill elk and they quickly get recoil shy.

Bring what you have, spend your money on good accessories, but not necessarily every high tech gadget on the market. Spend your time on researching the area you plan to hunt

Get in shape, but that doesn't mean you have to run 10 miles a day carrying 50 lb pack .Juts reasonably good muscle tone and cardio workouts

Good advice here.

If I was to rank items of most importance, I'd likely start with being in shape. You can have the best elk spot on the planet with a gazillion 400" elk but if can't get to them, you might as well stick near camp. Next would be learning to hunt elk. I considered starting with this one but have taken people to great spots but they couldn't make it to where we needed to go. Third is attitude. As Mark D used to say "show up with a PMA - positive mental attitude." Long hikes, steep slopes, few elk sitings will have the Craft-Matic calling your name after a couple days. Fourth is equipment in general. The gun is not rocket science but the thing we all obsess over. I'm guilty as anybody. A lightweight 30-06 is God's gift of an elk rifle. The Kimber Montana is pretty dang close to perfection in that respect.

If you like the BAR, then by all means take it. A friendly word of advice - them hills is steep and oxygen is in short supply. I've heard people say to lose an extra couple of pounds instead of switching rifles. Suggest you do both.

My first elk hunt saw me buying a new M700 BDL in 338 WM. It weighed 9 lbs but I was going to be ready for the 'tough shot' and have the horsepower to make it happen. Did manage to see elk and a bull but the thing that I recall most was how heavy that rifle felt after hiking around at 10,000 feet for a couple of days.

After having killed a few elk now, the 30-06 should be the standard from which all other rifles are judged - at least for my style of hunting which is mobile and getting to far away nooks and cranny's. Plunking a 180 Nosler at 2750-2800 into an elks lungs at 400 yards will yield a dead elk. A 180 Nosler at 2800 drops something like 16-17" at 400 yards. Basic top of back hold. 400 yards is still a long way.

You gotta get to the elk, you have to find the elk, and you got to be able to hit them when you see them. Not really many ways to shortcut the first two and a bunch of ways will get you the last.

Good luck.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I much prefer a bolt action to other actions.. If you like an 06, pick the bolt action of your choice..

Molon Labe
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think many over think their choice of rifles for hunting; myself included. There is nothing wrong with the BAR or the Savage 99. Bring both. Use the savage as a back-up or hunting dark timber.

If you want something lighter, there are several good choices out there. A Kimber Montana in standard chambering would be hard to beat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
someone told them nothing but a big magnum will kill elk

You mean something else will????? The magnum crowd aint gonna take that lightly.

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I'm not familiar with the terrain we were supposed to hunt as I was a "tag-along" but was told to be ready for up to 250 yard shots. I'd like to think I could move in closer than 250 yards but thats coming from my eastern hunting perspective. Seems a 308 bolt would be just the ticket for a lighter weight rifle.

I had spent time and effort getting into shape and shooting and will continue to do so in hopes of going next year.

I'm in no rush to dump the BAR either. However, I may jump if a deal on the right 308 (or 30-06) bolt gun passes my way.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Cmon...admit you just want to buy a new gun.

I hunted my whole life with a lever action 30-30 with no lost elk. What you think you need, and what you want are different.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 11/25/13.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That an interesting point.
The BAR as well as any decent firearm can take elk.
Competency with the firearm is a great thing to have.
Know your firearm and your capabilities practice often at different ranges and positions will provide the greatest returns when it comes time to pull the trigger in the field.

Last edited by badaboom; 11/25/13.

Lifetime NRA MEMBER
Honorable - Disabled Veteran USAF SGT E5
Tradition, Preservation, People, Improvement
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the horizon
Georgia, DC, Germany, Colorado, California, Alaska, South Dakota
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It all depends on whether your primary focus is the rifle or the hunting. For most kinds of elk hunting, the number of rifle choices are daunting. Most of them will probably work for 95% of the elk hunting that occurs, provided they shoot where they look and the guy with his finger on the trigger can shoot.

If you want to shoot elk from more than a quarter of a mile away, the choices narrow somewhat. Stretch it out to a half-mile and you have eliminated all but a handful of choices. If you like to prowl thick timber and shoot elk out of their beds, the choices narrow again, but not as much as with the long range shooting.

For me, I want a rifle in which I have confidence, one that I can carry for the kinds of hunting that I do, and a cartridge/bullet combination that will kill quickly and humanely. Any number of rifles commercially available will probably fill the bill. After that is where the "loonyism" kicks in: the choice of bolt vs. lever vs. semi-auto vs. single shot rears its ugly head.

I am a bolt action and single shot kind of guy, but I prefer CRF bolt actions and falling block single shots. I have a few high-dollar customs that I like to shoot and fondle. However, I like my elk rifles to be pretty much impervious to the kinds of abuse that go with the sport. At this point, I have a couple of favorites that work for me and a few more that would work just as well if I actually took them hunting. Being a certified loony, I can imagine having just one elk rifle, but right now that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I hunted my whole life with a lever action 30-30 with no lost elk. What you think you need, and what you want are different.

Want and need...there's allot of truth in both your statements and applies to much in life as well smile

Actually thought about using my 1952 300 Savage 99 but wouldn't want to D&T for a scope. Of course the peeps on it could work but I digress.

Aren't you glad I don't think I "need" a 300winmag or larger?

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mudhen
For me, I want a rifle in which I have confidence, one that I can carry for the kinds of hunting that I do, and a cartridge/bullet combination that will kill quickly and humanely.

Interesting you mention this. Prior to deer hunting this year, I took my 300 Savage 99 and BAR 30-06 to the range to not just insure they were both sighted in but to decide which one to take on the deer hunt. Honestly tried to approach the bench with no pre-conceived notions...at least the best I could. Both were sighted in but I intentionally spent additional time just shooting several rounds through each of them. For whatever reason(s), I felt more confident with the 300 Savage. Hence, the rifle that went north with me last week.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Recruit

Want and need...there's allot of truth in both your statements and applies to much in life as well smile

Actually thought about using my 1952 300 Savage 99 but wouldn't want to D&T for a scope. Of course the peeps on it could work but I digress.

Aren't you glad I don't think I "need" a 300winmag or larger?

I can make the decision a bit easier for you. Do want to sell the Savage 99? I've always NEEDED one of those. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My Tikka .270 was a pleasure to pack in the mountains this year. I mainly carried my 35 Whelen, but when the weather turned south I grabbed the Tikka. I'm in decent shape, but the Tikka was more pleasent to carry than the 700. The Tikka is light, has a great trigger, and is accurate too.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Earlier this year, I picked up an old Browning BAR Safari in 30-06 with a Bushnell 3x9 Elite 4200 for my first elk hunt ever in Montana. Unfortunately, the trip fell though and I'm enjoying deer hunting here in Michigan.

My little brain is always wondering if I can improve on the BAR. I've grown to appreciate carrying a peep sighted Savage 99 for deer hunting...much I believe due to lighter weight w/o a scope.

Many of us seem to agonize about the best setup.

I agree with others that a lightweight '06 or .308 class bolt is best for an all purpose rifle. I have used an 84L Kimber Montana the last two years. For several years before that a .338 Win Mag, before that bolt '06's. Pre bolt guns I killed three elk with lever action .308's.

I still think a 99F in .308 is the best for me in thick cover.
a 2-7 scope seems fast enough.

So for you weight-conscious western elk hunters, what to you tote? Would be interested to hear your thoughts on a Remington Model 7 in 308 or similar "compact" rifle. Is the short action and barrel length of a carbine of appreciable disadvantage out west?

One of my partners started hunting elk with a 760 Remington chambered in .35 Whelan AI. It killed well but was really heavy and kicked pretty bad. For the last 25 years he has used a .308 Model 7 with a 20 inch barrel. He believes it is as good as it gets.

On public land most shots at big bulls seem to happen in closed cover at fairly short ranges. I don't see the 20" carbine as an issue though the 18.5 inch barrels cost a lot of velocity.

I haven't shot an elk past 250 yards. The areas I hunt just have too much cover. I do shoot an occasional deer at much longer ranges as I hunt some prairie country at times.

I'm hoping an elk hunt will work out for next year and may trade the BAR for something lighter.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
...the 300 Savage. Hence, the rifle that went north with me last week.

Dude. It's easy, don't overthink it.

[Linked Image]

In a pinch, you can really turn the flame on with one of these little rifles. I prefer the 99F lightweights with 22" barrels.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/25/13.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got the cheapest solution for you.

Get in shape, and keep the BAR.

This ^^^^

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The recommendations crack me up. Not because I disagree but because the "West" covers a lot of ground!

I have several rifles that are ideal for elk hunting in the west, they are not all the same.

Depending on where you are at you may find a short barreled quick pointing rifle is ideal. You may also find a long range stable platform is ideal.

My two most used are a Ruger m77 in .338WM with a 3x9 Leupold and a Rem Model 600 in .308 with a 2.5x scope. One is very light easy to carry and quick to point, the other is quite accurate and easy to shoot at better distances. I also have a .300WM but it hasn't been used as much. It's great for open areas but not my cup of tea where it's thick at all.

Last edited by BigNate; 11/26/13.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,064
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.