Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,248 of 1,842 1 2 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1841 1842
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am sitting here hoping that the buck was so big it required a panaramic picture and it is taking a long time to load.....doggone it, I hope NDs job isnt getting in the way of this most important of posts.....!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh & it looks like with all the surprises, you over cooked that steak !

I'll wait to post Deb's story, till after your photo essay.

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by fluffy

well I bought one for the kid first,but then seeing how the thing is bedded in the stock,how well it shoots,how light it is ,plus has an adjustable trigger,detachable magazines,and how much it costs...I decided I wanted one more than I wanted a bolt action I owned made by a competitor.

Well, I really don't need one for myself. I have a couple rifles I use and like a lot. My boy does need a rifle though. I'm thinking .243 for him.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gotta love the .243 great on anything deer size and smaller. I got one when I was a teen and loved it so much I've stuck with it. tried a few others but settled back on the old .243 I saved up 4 months to buy. killed Elliot with it in fact! smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I don't know how to go about explaining the events of Sunday morning without the back story. So I guess I'll recap to be sure I am explaining this in a way that people can fully and correctly comprehend.

As you all know, Dusty was a staple in our camp. A senior member that provided an unexplainable level of joy and enthusiasm for the entire camp. As well as his sage wisdom being a life long woodsman, a father, grandfather etc.

We lost Dusty last spring to his battle with cancer. This was our first year at camp chickenbuck since it's beginning in 2007 that we didn't have our Dusty at deer camp.

Here's a few facts to help set the stage for my report on yesterday's events.

Dusty was cremated, the majority of his ashes were handled in a traditional fashion being placed at a grave site next to his son's grave back home. But the girls, Missy and Eileen felt strongly enough of Dusty's love of camp chickenbuck that they had a portion of his ashes placed in a separate urn which they brought up to deer camp. This small urn has been sitting on top of the gun rack at camp since the beginning of our season this year. We have been waiting for the right moment before spreading these ashes at the base of Dusty's deer stand. We felt it was important to have all of the kids in attendance, we really wanted our core group all there. This is actually a pretty tall order.

Now, a couple of other facts.

Missy has been a member of the camp since it's beginning and she's been hunting just as hard as the rest of us for many years. It's been tough hunting, it still is tough hunting, deer numbers are very low. She's never shot a deer up at camp chickenbuck before. She's taken deer before, but she's not taken one at chickenbuck. Dusty's stand, it's a nice spot, nice stand, but nobody (including Dusty) has ever taken a deer from that stand before.

Missy has been hunting from her dad's stand exclusively this year, putting in some good hours too.

Well there, I believe I have the stage set as best I can.

Sunday morning I hear Missy shuffling around inside the dark cabin, she's putting on all her warm clothes, including an old pair of her dad's wool bibs which she has been wearing this season.

Missy slips out of the cabin before sunrise with her 270 slung over her shoulder, as it turns out..... She will be the only hunter to venture out on this last morning of our rifle season.

Fast forward several hours, I've got pancake batter mixed, I'm cooking bacon and sausage, we're all there in the cabin wondering how long Missy is going to stay out in the stand.

10:20 am, "Boom!" from right behind the cabin. Wow!

I'm crossing my fingers and doing a little silent plea with god, hoping for a nice clean successful shot. Everybody is just amped up, excitement through the roof. The whole crew scrambles for coats and boots, some grab rifles, knives, pelvic saw, a drag strap... We begin our orange migration north through the woods. 10 of us in total. I asked Eileen before we left the cabin if it would be ok to bring that little urn up there with us. She figured that would be ok. I didn't have a plan and it was short notice for Missy but when we got up to where she had found her deer I gave her a big hug first off then I handed her that little urn and suggested we might want to take advantage of the moment we had there with all in attendance. It gave her a few moments to think about it anyways while Justin field dressed her doe.

Here's Missy with her first camp chickenbuck deer.

[Linked Image]

The sea of orange that surrounded the successful hunter:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's a first, field dressing with a live audience, lol.

[Linked Image]

Us boys pulled the deer over to the base of Dusty's stand for a "look what I did, dad" type of photo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

At this point Missy said some nice words about her dad and how much the whole deer camp and crew meant to him. I tossed in a couple words about how happy and honored I was that the girls thought enough of us all to do this, I explained how wonderful it would be to be able to walk part this old deer stand for all the years to come and know that Dusty is literally here with us all in all of our seasons to come. Missy spread her dad's ashes at the base of his old deer stand, next to her deer.. Her first at chickenbuck and also the first deer taken from the stand.

There were some leaky eyes, grandkids, my own kids, I think my eyes were a little glossy as well. It was a really cool moment, there's just no other way to explain it.

A person could live a lifetime of church on Sundays and not experience something as spiritually fulfilling as what we had at that moment. You couldn't have planned it, you couldn't ever duplicate it, it was just a natural moment that simply unfolded perfectly. It was an excellent way to close the 2013 rifle season.

Something clever here.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Dude,

You're killing us !

Paul.

I'm very sorry, it's a busy Monday morning so it's hard to complete this in a timely manor. lol.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We hung Missy's deer up for her, it's not really a chime with only one deer you know?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ah yes, the heroes of 2013 admiring their work.

[Linked Image]

And that moment when you realize the girl deer is bigger than your boy deer on the meat pole...

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
got choked up reading this, a perfect way to end a season.
Congrats to Missy and the gang for an awesome hunt!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It doesnt get any better than that!! Congratulations to all, it was good to visit chickenbuck again. This was some good reads that happened this weekend!!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Missy 270'd her deer quartering towards her, forward left shoulder entrance, diagonal wound channel exiting mid rib cage on right side. It all stayed in the boiler room, very nice shot placement. She went maybe 30 feet and piled up.

Something clever here.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It's Weezy's birthday today.

She's 20.

eek

Wow, we're old.

lol!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
God works in mysterious ways. I can't see it working out any better than it did.

Chickenbuck is a special, special place. Dusty helped make it that way.

It's a camp. It make me feel wonderful even when I know I'm going there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
PERFECT !!!!

I prayed it would end this way.

That someone would take a deer from Unca D's stand !

Remember, back in the lead into the season, I asked who was going to hunt which stand ?

I was hoping you or Pam, but ..........

Couldn't be more fitting that it was Missy.

Paul.

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Also........

Couldn't be more fitting that Dusty was honoured on Thanks Giving weekend.

Misting up, gotta go !

Paul.

Last edited by New_2_99s; 11/25/13. Reason: bolded

Paul.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stupid allergies this morning......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Most Excellent!

Good Job Missy! I'm positive your Dad and brother were looking on and smiling like heck when you took that doe.

Allergies here too....

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Happy Birthday Weezmeister!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Wow...not sure how I could be happier for all the ChickenBuckers. Good job all around!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Nice shootin Muffy! Where'd that deer come in from Dave or missy? I've put some hours in on that stand myself. It's in a good spot with lots of sign, but I've not seen a deer from it.

I'm so happy Missy got a deer there and from Dusty's spot. I'm smilin like heck.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That is the very definition of a trophy deer in my book. That is as good as it gets right there and why deer hunting is so much more than hunting deer.

And I vote for the ladder/Missy/deer pic as the winner for our photo contest.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Page 1,248 of 1,842 1 2 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.