Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
the last few days ive had 4 ranch hands tell me they have seen a black panther, monday morning 2 hands driving on the south ranch saw a black panther standing in the middle of the road about 7:00 am, slide to a stop and it crossed the road going west. i went and looked at skide marks in the road and walked the road and found cat tracks, about 1/2 as big as mountian lion tracks but bigger than a bobcat track.then last night had another ranch hand call and said he and his wife were sitting on the back pourch after supper, and they had a black panther walk acrossed their back yard on the edge of the tall grass about 30 yrds away,now this morning one of the ranch hands was coming by my house to pick me up at 4:30 am, to take out some hunters and a black panther crossed the road in front of him about 100 yrds from my house. ive lived in s.tex. a long time and have killed several mountian lions here on the ranch over the years, but i have never seen a black panther, all my mexicain ranch hands think it a bad omen, that we have a devil cat on the ranch.when i get time thiink will go try to call it in. what do you'all think?? rio7

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Well black panther would be a melanistic jaguar, or jaguarundi. No such thing as melanistic mountain lions. Do you have jaguarundi or ocelot where you live. You have something out there, now you have to figure out which it is. Most are endangered or considered extirpated from Texas. I wouldn't shoot it.

R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Kevinj, we do have ocelot, but rarley see one and have never shot one,or shot at one.i would just like to see this critter, dont need to kill it. rio7

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You need to set some trail cams and get some pics. Would love to see it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RIO7,it may have been a jaguarundi going by the size of the tracks you saw.Here is a good video of a couple in the wild.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi94gxt5pvQ

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
bald hunter, i think you may be right form what the guys told me.im going to have them come over and look at your viedo. thanks for your help.rio7

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wow what an odd critter. Moves like an otter on cat legs. Otter looking head. Weird straight back.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mamma looking for babies or one looking for a mate? Never even heard of one.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i saw Jaguarundi once and from n distance they can appear almost black.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
do coatimundi's wear jaguarundi's.......

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm sorry, but black Mtn. Lions can exist. I saw one in 1958. My grandmother saw it the day before. Black mutants can occur in any mammal species. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
exactly my reaction. neat animal. as far as black cougars, I have seen two in my life. one just outside Yosemite park in 1955, and one in the marble mountains in northern California in 1973. of course that one might have been big foot.

Last edited by deerstalker; 11/25/13.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

Last edited by TWR; 11/25/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerstalker
exactly my reaction. neat animal. as far as black cougars, I have seen two in my life. one just outside Yosemite park in 1955, and one in the marble mountains in northern California in 1973. of course that one might have been big foot.

That's pretty amazing concidering very few people will ever see even one regularly colored Lion in a lifetime.

Even more amazing is the fact that all three of the links posted above say there has never been a documentated sighting of a black Lion.

You should buy a lottery ticket.

R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
had my guys come over and look at the viedo posted they all swear that the cat they saw was bigger than the cat on the viedo,been busy with hunters, so this cat hunt will have to wait till another time,no has seen the cat for the last couple of days. rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never been one in all the documented history of white settlement in North America. That is hundreds of years and millions of people and nearly shooting and trapping mountain lions extinct yet not one person has ever been able to document a single black mountain lion. Even with seemingly half the USA being covered by trail cameras in today's techno swamped world there isn't a single photograph of a black mountain lion. Yet every other bozo from swamp east anywhere has seen them multiple times and swears the truth by it. Amazing!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not really..... it just proves they are more secretive than bigfeets......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Never been one in all the documented history of white settlement in North America. That is hundreds of years and millions of people and nearly shooting and trapping mountain lions extinct yet not one person has ever been able to document a single black mountain lion. Even with seemingly half the USA being covered by trail cameras in today's techno swamped world there isn't a single photograph of a black mountain lion. Yet every other bozo from swamp east anywhere has seen them multiple times and swears the truth by it. Amazing!

I think Rio really has a Jaguarundi down there GC.
As far as the others go, I ain't from MO but you'd still have to "show me". wink

PS,, if you ever get a chance, pick up a copy of Waner Glenn's "Eyes Of Fire"
It's a little book documenting the treeing of a Juguar by his hounds down on the AZ/MEX border. Complete with some of the best photography you've ever seen.
I ordered my signed copy right from his daughter on their ranch down in So AZ.
You might try google if you're interested providing she's still having them printed.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 11/25/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry ya'll, haven't been on a good rant in quite some time. Excuse me while I go check some trail cameras, I am expecting a big discovery! smile Charlie, I have heard of the book, I will check it out.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
There are documented black jaguars in Mexico and a few have been spotted in AZ and New Mexico, the latest was this past summer. South West Texas is close enough.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1936M71, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 59 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,880
Posts18,518,168
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.