Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I am new to muzzleloading,, guy who sold it to me told me I could use pellets if I use some powder also? has anyone ever thought about this in the barrel, like 20 grains of powder and 1 50grain pellets? barrel only

GB1

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
reason I bring this up,, is because I have a 45cal inline (never shot) with that rifle came a bunch of 50grain pellets,, the guy who sold me the lyman 50cal said to use some loose powder to help ignite the pellets,,

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It makes no sense. Especially, for a flintlock. If you're going to use 20gr of loose powder. Why not make the whole load loose powder?

Flintlocks like real black powder. They'll perform better.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
to use the 50grain pellets up,, and I kinda liked the idea of the premeasured pellets,,, question is do you think it work?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't think it's the hot tip, but you can give it a try. What are you going to use for powder for the 20gr prime, and what will you use in the pan for powder?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
pan ffffg for sure,, since I have to buy some powder (ihave none),, I was thinking blackhorn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doubt you will ignite that BH209 in a flintlock.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Absolutely, BH 209 will not work as a prime. It needs a hot 209 primer to fire. You should buy BP 3F, and use it as a prime for the main charge, and in the pan.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
mauser thanks for the idea,,

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by lovebmper_2020
to use the 50grain pellets up,, and I kinda liked the idea of the premeasured pellets,,, question is do you think it work?

yes it will work . its called duplex loading .
but IMO its a waste of time and if your not carful can cause problems with consistancy .
dunp the pellet idea all together and go to a full charge of BP. if you want quicker loading , then use quick loaders with pre measured charges .

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also use 3f for my main charge and prime.
My .62 smoothbore likes 2f for a main charge.
If it hasn't been mentioned already, buy some good quality, real flints. Tom Fuller flints work for me.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
will look up tom fuller flints,, evry piece of information,knowledge is appreciated ,,

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by lovebmper_2020
will look up tom fuller flints,, evry piece of information,knowledge is appreciated ,,

I'll make it easy for you. I've bought them, and they work good.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/180/1/FLINTS

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My rifle is a Lyman Great Plains Hunter flintlock. What model do you have?
I would use the pellets for fouling shots just to use them up. After you clean you will not want to rely on the first clean barrel shot. I do the same thing with old bullets. I have different versions of bullets that I tested and have decided not to hunt with. They are what I throw down range for fouling rather than my hunting bullets.

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
tundagriz,, mine is also a great plains (lefty),, paid 300 for it with all the extras(included 5 extra flints, priming brass flint powder holder, powder measures, balls,,)
I have 2 other unshot 50,45 cal cheaper inline muzzleloaders,,
the extras from the great plains gun are missing due to being packed away and moving to another house, it could be yrs before I find them,i will have to purchase all accessories as to all I have found is the pellets and the guns I do have a novice question to ask,, what exactly is fouling,,is this a term for just target shooting?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
GEEZ! don't know if anybody else is having a problem with this site. Every time I click on something it logs me out, had to go to the lowest security level to be able to make this post.

When you thoroughly clean your barrel at the end of the season or shooting session there is a good chance because the barrel is free of all residue the first shot may not be accurate. So you fire a fouling shot to start the barrel fouling process. Like I posted above I use an old bullet for this, sometimes it is one that was previously loaded that I didn't shoot so I just pulled it, and I use about 50 gr of powder to get it started. I assume because I swab after every shot and my cleaning process the truth is with my gun the first shot is right on even without the fouling shot but I still do it anyway.

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lyman GPR and GPH barrels have different twist and groove depth.
GPR has a slower twist for roundballs while the Hunter model has faster twist designed for conicals.

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Listen to Captchee. You are much better off sticking with real black powder. (The smell is addicting too) By the way congrats on your first real muzzleloader. (LOL)

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Qtip
Listen to Captchee. You are much better off sticking with real black powder. (The smell is addicting too) By the way congrats on your first real muzzleloader. (LOL)

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

Didn't we all say that?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
LB, Welcome to the world of flintlocks, they are fun and challenging. For your 50cal I'd suggest 3FFF for both load and primer. Start with about 70gr with a patched round ball. Keep your flint sharp and your powder dry, good luck.

[Linked Image]

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (BALLISTIK, 35, 10Glocks, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,687
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.