Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Kach Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I would like to try to pick up a set of cross country skis to keep exploring the mountains through the winter. Mostly on groomed trails, maybe beyond depending on how things go.

I'm on a tight budget - any idea for something to just get out there? Is any of the surplus stuff worth having?

Thanks for any advice!

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is about as budget as it gets. Have a smithy mount a heavy 3-pin binding, get your self some boots, wax and poles and you're good to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unused-Karh..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b4928235

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
DAMN! Sounds like the Karhu XCD-GT's. BOMBER skis. I covered a lot of miles on those things. 75mm 3-pins would work but Silverrettas (or a newer equivalent) might be better, depending on terrain. For flatter/colder country, Berwins are an option, they work with vapor barrier boots like the old Balatta(?)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
DAMN! Sounds like the Karhu XCD-GT's. BOMBER skis. I covered a lot of miles on those things. 75mm 3-pins would work but Silverrettas (or a newer equivalent) might be better, depending on terrain. For flatter/colder country, Berwins are an option, they work with vapor barrier boots like the old Balatta(?)

I have Kahru XCD-GT's with Chouinard Cable bindings, and I also have the Surplus Kahru's I linked. The Surplus are a a fair bit wider. Nice skis for the money. I put Kahru 75mm 3-pins on mine. Still using my old Italian Made Asolo Snowfields with both, and an insulated full gaiter with rubber rand as conditions dictate.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's going to be hard or impossible to beat a pair of used Karhu's and three pins for value.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Out here I see a lot of step in bindings and a better selection of boots for them. I have XCD-GT's with Rottefella bindings for mountains with taller BC boots. The metal edges make turning easier on crust and ice. I have used them for Telemarking on groomed hills also.

I also have a set of Trak Nova t-2000 with the same bindings for flat country.

I ran traplines through northern MN and WI for years on skis a lot faster than snowshoes once you have a trail made. For a few years till I got a 7' snowblower for the tractor we had to snowshoe and ski 3/4 mile into the house for 4 months. I used 3 pins then and like the step ins better. On the trap line I used a cable binding that would work with Sorels and hip boots so I could just step out of the skis and right down into the creek to deal with the traps.

I still use skis for deer hunting and predator hunting when I'm in snow country and just carry a set of overboots for long stands when it is really cold.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Brad
This is about as budget as it gets. Have a smithy mount a heavy 3-pin binding, get your self some boots, wax and poles and you're good to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unused-Karh..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b4928235

Are those the type of bindings that allow you to use hiking boots?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You need some type of cable or clamp binding for hiking boots.

Three pins have like a duck bill in the front of the boots with three holes in it and is clamped down over three pins on the ski binding.

The Rottafella binding has a bar crosswise in the front of the boot and you just step into a receiver , to release you just press a button with your pole.

The cable bindings have some type of mechanism to hold the toe of the boot , a V with straps or recess for the toe of the boot and a cable that goes around the heel of the boot and pulls the whole boot into the toe receiver.

Last edited by erich; 11/28/13.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
These aren't so budget, but my they are my newer backcountry skis. They are kind of sliding snowshoes. They use a standard ski "skin" permanently glued to the base so they are quiet. You can get them either with a berwin type universal binding, or a standard 3-pin - which is what I use.

http://altaiskis.com/products/the-hok/

I am not at all a fan of "waxable" skis in the mountains, the snow is just too variable to get any wax to work decent, northsides can be pure cold powder and southern exposures turn to slop by noon, no wax can work through that.

Any full metal edge touring ski with a waxless base would be a good start. Most full metal edge, waxless, skis have at least enough width to try some backcountry exploring, and all will work on any "groomed" trail. The fatter the better. There are some nice ones by Rossignol, Alpina, and Fischer. The older ones that are a bit narrower like the XCD can be found at thrift shops, and second hand stores around here regularly for less than $50 with 3-pins and then all you need are some boots and poles. These older, narrower, skis should be 6" or so over head high, newer fatter skis are fit shorter. Poles should fit under your armpit, or a bit taller. Stick with 3-pin, or "Backcountry" bindings from NNN or Solomon.

For "budget" shop thrift stores, Craigslist, or a ski swap.

Last edited by Salmotrutta; 11/28/13. Reason: grammer (still bad)...

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have the old Karhu Metas, which are the same as the altai skis with integral skins, and universal bindings. They're great for being in the woods, and easy on/off for steep stuff rocky which I'm no good at. keep an eye on craigslist

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also check places like St. Vincent DePaul, Salvation Army thrift stores, sometimes they have barrels of XC skis very cheap.

Make mine a Minaska

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I gave my Truckers away when I moved south. I've always wanted to do a winter trip to the BWCA. I think I'll buy a pair of those surplus skis and put some Berwin bindings on them for that.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you are on a budget, don't limit yourself to ski's labeled as cross country. Any soft, wide & relatively short downhill ski will work well when fitted with proper backcountry bindings.

You may give up a no-wax base but a good wax kit & a set of skins for the real steep stuff will serve you well.

K
Kach Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thanks for the info! Those Altai skis look like something I could get into. I see myself going to some areas where a longer ski might be too obtrusive, but I don't want to be stuck with shoes for the downhill. Someday!

I'm going to start with the thrift shop and craigslist and work from there...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I run 190 cm Karhu XCD Guides with NNN BC bindings.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Kach
I would like to try to pick up a set of cross country skis to keep exploring the mountains through the winter. Mostly on groomed trails, maybe beyond depending on how things go.

I'm on a tight budget - any idea for something to just get out there? Is any of the surplus stuff worth having?

Thanks for any advice!

For me, there is a big difference between skiing groomed trails on cross-country skis, and back-country, trail-less skiing.

I have XC skis, but if I am going into untracked powder, I use snowshoes because my XC skis will sink to where it's tough to travel and I don't currently have BC skis.

I've run into folks with back-country skis that do real well. I just don't remember what they were wearing. It would be nice to slide down rather than shoe.

ETA: I don't think BC skis fit into groomed tracks well and XC skis don't float well in powder.

Last edited by ironbender; 12/02/13.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Excellent points Ironbender.

Groomed trails are usually fairly short in length, and meant for the average, typical, recreation oriented cross-country skier. They may be groomed for classic, or skate skiing, or both. Lots of fun, and I do most of my skiing on groomed trails.

Then there's the real backcountry stuff. No grooming. Just you, your skis and your gear. Could go for a day or a half day, or could take gear for overnight. Or longer.

I've been out on skis for days at a time, spending each night in either a tent, or better yet, in a snow shelter.

This is the kind of stuff you should be doing with an experienced buddy, because the mountains in winter can be treacherous. Cold. Deep snow. Snow slides... Rain freezing on top of the snow... It can get real bad, real fast. Some good training from an experienced winter skier/backpacker can guide you right.

And yes, sometimes snowshoes do really, really well when most skis just aren't getting it done.

I use both. Have been getting out into the winter backcountry for 40 years now. Plan to keep going.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Words to the wise - you better know know to telemark turn if you have a free heel binding and are off piste. Hint - it's not as easy as it looks.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Madshus Glittertind MGV is a classic narrow steel edged ski with a fast waxless base. It would work well if you're traveling in both set tracks and backcountry. I would run them with NNN-BC. Anything wider than the Glittertind would not be pleasant in set tracks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1moredeer, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,231
Posts18,485,673
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.