Print Thread
Hop To
#8304695 11/30/13
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Looking for some feed back on Big Agnes bags the ones with sleeves for a pad no bottom insulation. I realize this is not the usual backpacking bag. ???

GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Ed,

I've used a number of BA bags over the years and they are well made. I would say that for me the temp rating was a little over-optimistic. By that I mean I found their 0 degree bag more like a 8-10 degree bag. Not super bad but not as true as some others.

But I haven't used one in several years so that my not be true. I did like the pad sleeve concept at least until I tried a Neo Air smile

Ed T

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I purchased a couple for our Boy Scout camping, we camp year round rain or shine. I don't like the non insulated bottom. I think the design is great with the pocket for the pad but for me the bag would be much better if they would have insulated the bottom. I would not recommend them for cold climate camping.

Scott

Keep your powder dry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't specifically tried a BA. The idea has merit but I much prefer a neoair and quilt to anything I've seen of there's.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by kilowatt41
I purchased a couple for our Boy Scout camping, we camp year round rain or shine. I don't like the non insulated bottom. I think the design is great with the pocket for the pad but for me the bag would be much better if they would have insulated the bottom. I would not recommend them for cold climate camping.

Scott

The insulation in the bottom of a sleeping bag does very little to keep you warm due to compression. The BA system makes sense, but is still dependent on pad insulation. IMO, the IAC pads from BA needed a CC foam pad under them in anything cold.

I have slept in well below zero temps comfortably in BA bags, but adjusted by using an extra CC pad and or clothing.

Ed T

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

The BA system makes sense, but is still dependent on pad insulation. IMO, the IAC pads from BA needed a CC foam pad under them in anything cold.

I have slept in well below zero temps comfortably in BA bags, but adjusted by using an extra CC pad and or clothing.[/quote]

I use a CC pad with my inflatable pad as well. I have a couple and the temp rating seems reasonably accurate if used with a CC/inflatable pad or the Hinman.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
My experience has been to get a pad rated colder than the bag but I also sleep cold. I have the storm king and use an exped 7 and it is ridiculously comfortable and warm.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I like their stuff, but like Ed have found rating a bit optimistic, but once again it's been a few years. While, they do sleep comfortable, I prefer the flexibility of not having a pad, and bag married together. The pad sleeve, somewhat limits your pad choice to get the benefits of the system.

I am waiting on the Sierra Designs backcountry bed. I'm not sure the details, and any gotchas on the backcountry bed, but that might be my huckleberry for colder weather if it allows me the flexibility I desire (multi pad options, and possibly the ability to change out the quilt part or add in an extra for bitter cold).

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a big guy and a sidesleeper. Love my Big Agnes bag. I actually returned my first one, a long Encampment, after sleeping in it for a week with temps hitting the low twenties. It is rated to 15, but not for me and I'm a hot sleeper! Now have the Farwell rated to 0, but haven't been in the cold yet. BA customer service was great. Simply send in the bag and they send you a new one. If there was a price difference that was all they wanted. I ended up exchanging mine at REI and they were awesome as always.
Any reason you couldn't put the right shaped and sized neoair in the BA sleeve?

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by 338WIN
I'm a big guy and a sidesleeper. Love my Big Agnes bag. I actually returned my first one, a long Encampment, after sleeping in it for a week with temps hitting the low twenties. It is rated to 15, but not for me and I'm a hot sleeper! Now have the Farwell rated to 0, but haven't been in the cold yet. BA customer service was great. Simply send in the bag and they send you a new one. If there was a price difference that was all they wanted. I ended up exchanging mine at REI and they were awesome as always.
Any reason you couldn't put the right shaped and sized neoair in the BA sleeve?

If the Neoair fit right it would work fine. If it were a loose fit you would likely get some cold draft.

Ed T

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Ed,
I'm not convinced that the temp rating may be off because the meeting point of the pad sleeve and top of the bag. Seems to me that they could have run the insulation over that edge by a couple of inches.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The ones I have seen do run over a couple inches, but if you mate a pad that isn't within that margin of error, it will be colder than rated

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I like mine. I have no issue with the temp rating (0) but I always wear a fleece hat to sleep when camping in colder temps. Mine has made a few elk hunts with me in total comfort.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,517
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.