http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/Sig_rings.pdf

Anybody using them, how do like them?

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
They work very well, solving any scope/bore alignment problems that might occur, and preventing those who over-tighten ring screws from denting their scopes. If I didn't have to try the various rings on the market I'd use a lot more of 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They are a bit trickier to set up and align than conventional rings, but well worth the extra effort.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have two sets, made up mounts for the pair of original P-64-70 fwts. in .270Win. that I have, using the Burris rings and Leupy DD bases.

They are light, strong, simple and seemed to work just fine. I am a "spare scope" nut and so replaced them with Talley QD-SL mounts after about two years.

If, you want to put a scope on a rifle, 8/40 and epoxy the bases and carefully adjust and tune the rings, the above setup is excellent and inexpensive. I want to buy a couple, PF Mod. 70s to practice shoot with to save wear on the nice original P-64s I have and am going to use these mounts for that purpose.

You, DO have to watch losing the inserts tho', as they slip out of the rings very easily when not totally tight.

zxc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys, my main focus is on increasing 'the up' in scope adjustment. I don't figure ring alignment should be an issue with Sako M85 dovetails or Picatinney rail. I have a set with zero inserts on a 16 lb 260 Rem, will these survive on a 10 lb 300Win Mag ( used for more than hunting) ?

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, they'll survive just fine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
caution - the last set I bought had a very small, almost unnoticeable label on the package that said - made in china. That particular pair was of a noticeably lesser quality than the made in USA sets I have. Needless to say they were returned.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Savage which either has misdrilled scope mounting holes or the barrel threads are bored at an angle. I used the Signature rings and was easily able to get my scope on target without being at the end of the adjustment range.

I plan to use them more often.

TANSTAAFL
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I thought about using them on my Featherweight, but they aren't offered in low height. Any reason?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Mighty heavy IMO. But they work.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Apparently you have never used them or thought they were made out of titanium....not that heavy dood !!!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Heavier than Talley LWs or even Leupolds.

Rev, the rings are machined to accept the plastic inserts. That apparently takes too much out of the lower ring assembly to get them down to a low height. I have a set from the mid-late 90s that is labeled "low", but it sure looks a lot like the others labeled "medium". Still have a drawer full of these things.

They do exactly what Burris intended. Prevent scope damage and with the proper inserts, make centering the optics easy without using up internal scope adjustment.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I like these rings rather well. They're not too tough to setup. And will protect the scope from ring marks. I like that one can align the scope via insert swaps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only rings I'll use for a number of reasons. Solve/prevent alignment issues, and no unsightly ring scars left on expensive scopes.

Couple points...

I snug them with an allen wrench, no need to get gorilla. Move side to side when tightening, couple turns at a time. Try to maintain an even gap between the inserts on each side. If they end up touching, probably too tight.

Install dry. The next time a scope of mine slips in these will be the first. Installed on a number of 300 WMs and WSMs.

These are ideal for dovetail mounts with rear windage adjust. To do so, shoot first group, then slightly loosen front cap screws just enough to allow the scope to pivot. Adjust, re-tighten and shoot another group. The beauty of this is that it prevents torquing the scope tube. The front dovetail rings lock into place extremely tight, there's no way they're going to move when adjusting the windage screws at the rear. And thus, there's no way (that I know of) to adjust with windage screws without torquing the hell out of the scope...except with this style of ring! Torquing the scope tube can have serious consequences, like permanently bending it! If a rifle has a different point of impact when switching between power settings, almost certainly have a bent tube.

"Medium" rings pretty much the same as low rings in other makes. Included photo here. Leupold VX-II 6-18x40 mounted on a Rem. 700 with medium rings. Can't get much closer than that.

[Linked Image][/URL]

Even use 'em on my Marlin...

[Linked Image][/URL]

Last edited by sir_springer; 12/03/13.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by sir_springer

These are ideal for dovetail mounts with rear windage adjust. To do so, shoot first group, then slightly loosen front cap screws just enough to allow the scope to pivot. Adjust, re-tighten and shoot another group. The beauty of this is that it prevents torquing the scope tube. The front dovetail rings lock into place extremely tight, there's no way they're going to move when adjusting the windage screws at the rear. And thus, there's no way (that I know of) to adjust with windage screws without torquing the hell out of the scope...except with this style of ring! Torquing the scope tube can have serious consequences, like permanently bending it! If a rifle has a different point of impact when switching between power settings, almost certainly have a bent tube.

"Medium" rings pretty much the same as low rings in other makes. Included photo here. Leupold VX-II 6-18x40 mounted on a Rem. 700 with medium rings. Can't get much closer than that.

Will those rings fit into Leupold STD reversible F/R bases?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used these rings with Leupold dovetail bases. Good tight fit when twisting into place on the base.

Should note, too, that these are ideal for dovetail bases because it's pretty difficult to know when you've got the front and rear rings perfectly lined up square to the bases. The inserts will compensate for any misalignment in this respect.

Last edited by sir_springer; 12/03/13.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by sir_springer
I've used these rings with Leupold dovetail bases. Good tight fit when twisting into place on the base.

Should note, too, that these are ideal for dovetail bases because it's pretty difficult to know when you've got the front and rear rings perfectly lined up square to the bases. The inserts will compensate for any misalignment in this respect.

Thanks. I'll order some and give them a try. Looks like it beats lapping rings.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You bet! Lapping a thing of the past with these rings.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I like these rings for all the stated reasons plus I use the offset feature to gain some MOA on my long range rifles.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Apparently you have never used them or thought they were made out of titanium....not that heavy dood !!!!

Heavy is relative, but they weight twice as much as many other rings, and nearly three times as much as Talley Lightweights.

They do work great. And yes, I've used them all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,826
Posts18,516,817
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.