-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I won a pair of these earlier this year at a company event. I took them on a week long hunt in South Carolina, and I must say they have the singularly worst depth of field of any bino I've ever used. When zooming in, as they come to focus there is a "pow!" and the sight picture is crystal clear at the aim point, but, trying to peer a bit deeper or shallower into cover is impossible, and a fractional adjustment loses the focus. Maybe not an issue to others, but I gave them away at the end of the hunt and crawled back home to my Leicas...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Spent some time with these elk hunting in Co. this year. The glass is great, I will give them that. Other than that I wasnt impressed. To heavy, to bulky, to much slop in focus knob and the huge eye cups suck.
Went to Sportsmans yesterday to check out another sample and confirm original thoughts. Salesman said they are a slow seller .

JMHO

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am not impressed either I tried my nephews this year. We were linking over a herd at about 600 yards I could see the little spoke horns on a small bull with my 8x30 Swaro and we could not see the horns with his 8x42 Leopold heavy and not all that clear he is looking a pair of 8x30 now wink

The majority of Binos are made in china. at the same plants just different specs.

Last edited by ehunter; 12/02/13.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Well I received my new McKinley 8x42 today and from the little bit that I have used them sofar I think they are great, extremly bright wide field of view and great depth of field glass is crystal clear from 50 yards to infinity, also I ware glasses and the eye relief is great for $399 I'm extremly happy will give them a further review later this week coyote hunting. The large ocular doesn't bother me at all.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I won a pair of these earlier this year at a company event. I took them on a week long hunt in South Carolina, and I must say they have the singularly worst depth of field of any bino I've ever used. When zooming in, as they come to focus there is a "pow!" and the sight picture is crystal clear at the aim point, but, trying to peer a bit deeper or shallower into cover is impossible, and a fractional adjustment loses the focus. Maybe not an issue to others, but I gave them away at the end of the hunt and crawled back home to my Leicas...

This sounds like a classic misalignment problem. Given the fact that depth of field decreases with increase in magnification, those do not sound right. The barrels have to be aligned both up and down and left and right. The three terms are dipvergence, which defines the up and down, convergence, which defines if one or both barrels overlap, and divergence, which defines whether or not the barrels axis gets further away from center to the outside. If these get far enough way, even it all three are in spec, the binocular will do what you describe. Likely you have a dipvergence problem as well as one or the other divergence or convergence as well. Since the binocular can be focused at a point, as would be the case in a factory check, that may well go unobserved.

Send them to Leupold.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,344
Posts18,526,913
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.