-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The Chiefs played a hard-fought battle and only lost by a touch. I think they're capable of beating the Broncos but one has to wonder if they'll win any more games this year after dropping three in a row.

Several things came to mind. The Chiefs lead by a touch at the half having put up 21 points. I remarked to the wife that if the last game was any arbiter, then they would need to double that total to win it. The Chiefs offense looked great, but they just couldn't pull that off.

They could have pulled it off if it weren't for that penalty.

Andy Reid or the OC's play calling left something to be desired. IMO they should have sent Jammal in instead of having Smith throw where he was picked in the endzone. You get that touch and the one where the penalty brought it back and there is your win.

The Chiefs pass rush sucked once again. They pressured Manning better than they did in the first game and better than they did against Phillip Rivers last game, but they still sucked. You give Manning all day and any defensive background is gonna fail. The only guy who came close to sacking Manning was the Safety! They did manage a sack of one of the Denver Running Backs and they hit Manning a few times as he released the ball, but IMO if you had to trace the losses down to one thing, it's the lack of a pass rush. And this time they weren't without Tamba Hali to blame it on.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Where is the Chiefs pass rush?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
IT was shown that Manning gets rid of the ball a lot quicker than normal due to injuries or whatever, that said the Chiefs pass rush has been pretty bad as of late. Still after a 2 win season last year there is now some hope. They need a couple receivers as well.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chrissum
IT was shown that Manning gets rid of the ball a lot quicker than normal due to injuries or whatever, that said the Chiefs pass rush has been pretty bad as of late. Still after a 2 win season last year there is now some hope. They need a couple receivers as well.
I didn't see that Manning generally got rid of the ball quickly in this game. He is known for a quick release but he didn't need to and the lack of it tells me that the defensive backfield were doing their jobs. If you let a guy have all day, then he'll find a receiver, especially the best QB in the NFL, which Manning is at this point. When he was pressured a few times, he did not do well. Manning's receivers were shown to be much better than the Chiefs too. Smith had several dropped passes by his receivers which hurt immensely. Bowe and Charles are catching the ball. You have to quit thinking that you're the Broncos with a deep receiver corps and go to the guys who can catch it instead of these guys who need to just decoy and block.

If the Chiefs actually want to contend in the Playoffs then they need to get their pass rush back on track. They did pretty good against the run but they just aren't pressuring the QB adequately.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
They need to teach Avery how to catch and Cooper how to cover.

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Another thing, if he had been releasing the ball that quickly then he wouldn't have had all the big yardage pass plays that he did. Receivers have to have time to get down field and if you've got one that's faster than the DB's then you have to have time for your guy to outrun them. Denver's Offensive Line gave Manning and the receiver corps time to work their game against the Chiefs Defensive Backs. Pass Rush.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by htredneck
Coverage breaks down eventually if you've got all day to look for a receiver. Manning stood there, in the pocket, and made long throws at will against the Chiefs. You just can't allow that, but I don't think the Secondary was as much the problem as the line. Avery needs to be taught to catch by the Vikings or somebody and the Chiefs need a new receiver in his spot. Flying [bleep] some high school kids could have done better than some of those jaybirds.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Were you at the game? The sea of Red looked awesome.

Another thing...how many teams can beat 35 points? Defense. Chiefs just ain't showing up on D. I thought they did pretty good. Manning is on fire. Five TD's...awesome. I don't like the guy, but I don't dislike him any worse than freaking Elway. I think one of the reasons that I just HAVE to flame Kevin Gibson from time to time is that pic of him for his avatar looks like John [bleep] Elway. mad

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No, I wasn't at the game. I live about 45 minutes south of the stadium and have passed on multiple opportunities to go. I cannot stand crowds and absolutely refuse to surround myself with a bunch of yelling, screaming drunks. Add to that I absolutely refuse to spend that kind of money for parking, food, drinks, etc. I will sit in my chair and have the best seat in the house where I can actually enjoy the game - win or lose.

Even though they have blown multiple opportunities to actually win the last three games, the Chiefs are far better than they have been, and are far better than a lot of the other teams. Hell, last year they couldn't buy a touchdown. This year they are actually finding the end zone on a consistent basis and don't have to rely on Succup to put points on the board.

They will go to the playoffs which is more than they have done in a long time. How long they last is another story...

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Maybe Avery should start smoking with Bowe? This was a Broncos team that is very much depleted by the injury bug. 6 Starters were out, 5 of those on defense.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The Chiefs are down just as bad. Asamoa, Fisher, Devito, Houston. Add Albert to the list...

Whoever thought Bowe was a franchise receiver ought to have their head examined. He is a hot dog that is afraid to get hit. And why they continue to do things like throw to Avery five times in a row when all he did was drop them is beyond me. They are far better this year than anyone expected and are still working things out. The rest of the season will be interesting. Next year will be the true teller as to whether or not this year is a fluke, which I don't think it is...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The Chiefs are down just as bad. Asamoa, Fisher, Devito, Houston. Add Albert to the list...

Whoever thought Bowe was a franchise receiver ought to have their head examined. He is a hot dog that is afraid to get hit. And why they continue to do things like throw to Avery five times in a row when all he did was drop them is beyond me. They are far better this year than anyone expected and are still working things out. The rest of the season will be interesting. Next year will be the true teller as to whether or not this year is a fluke, which I don't think it is...
I remembered where you live. Not far from the Lone Jack battlefield.

Yep, the Chiefs need some off-season help from trades and drafts. I reserve judgement on Smith. I don't know if he's Superbowl caliber or not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I remembered where you live. Not far from the Lone Jack battlefield.

Yep, the Chiefs need some off-season help from trades and drafts. I reserve judgement on Smith. I don't know if he's Superbowl caliber or not.

Beats hell out of last year or the year before, don't it ?
The Midwest Niners should get the 5th seed, nothing like seeing your team play in January.

Smith ain't no Montana, but he is more than capable of winning it all given the correct team is built around him. Thanks Alex for an additional 2nd round pick next year.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ethan, sending hugs your way today buddy laugh. Manning and Elway have class, and the Chiefs have shown AGAIN that they are still just a "middle of the pack" team, so deal with it ya freakin cry baby. cry

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rkamp

Smith ain't no Montana,

Not many are.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior
Ethan, sending hugs your way today buddy laugh. Manning and Elway have class, and the Chiefs have shown AGAIN that they are still just a "middle of the pack" team, so deal with it ya freakin cry baby. cry
Son, all I got to say about that is this...if you and every Denver fan want a kiss that can last you can just lean over and kiss my ass.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Alex is the new Elvis...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Alex is the new Elvis...
I don't get the Chiefs seeming penchant for grabbing up San Fran rejects. No offense to Montana.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You'll have to put up with us Bronco Fans. You see, our college programs all suck so we have nothing else to crow about.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by chrissum
I didn't see that Manning generally got rid of the ball quickly in this game. He is known for a quick release but he didn't need to and the lack of it tells me that the defensive backfield were doing their jobs. If you let a guy have all day, then he'll find a receiver, especially the best QB in the NFL, which Manning is at this point. When he was pressured a few times, he did not do well. Manning's receivers were shown to be much better than the Chiefs too. Smith had several dropped passes by his receivers which hurt immensely. Bowe and Charles are catching the ball. You have to quit thinking that you're the Broncos with a deep receiver corps and go to the guys who can catch it instead of these guys who need to just decoy and block.

If the Chiefs actually want to contend in the Playoffs then they need to get their pass rush back on track. They did pretty good against the run but they just aren't pressuring the QB adequately.

Well said!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (1_deuce, 2500HD, 5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 28 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,485
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.