Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I like the Altai Hoks for a lot of stuff, in fact used them today up near treeline. I wish I had the longer ones, I suspect I could turn better.

You can do a standard turn in free heel gear, I've done it a bunch. Just keep your heels planted. Personally, I feel the Tele Turn is easier in powdery , mixed conditions. I think the wider stance gives me better balance, but then again, I am a real crappy skier.

However, if you want to get some odd looks, go ski a resort with the HOKS and mountaineering boot / universal binding combo (no 3 pin even). I survived a few blues in those last year and got some real odd looks at the lift line. Since I am , a self admitted real crappy skier, I mainly ski even at resorts now a 3 pin setup ,with Garmont Excursions and some sort of skinny Alpina lightweight touring skis. No amount of fancy gear will make me a better skier, so I may as well be comfy.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I kind of went the other way - started with Fischer BC Country Crown (waxless, a bit wider than typical track skis but no metal edge) and put on a NNN touring (not BC) binding. We are often on snowmachine trails but not always groomed tracks.

Last year we went to Salomon Equipe 8 skis (narrower, waxless, partial metal edge) with NNN touring bindings. Less float when off-trail but more control on the ice and crust- especially on packed trails without set tracks.

Hit a local ski swap, Play-it-Again, or Salvation Army. Get out and try it - pretty soon you'll see what you like (off-trail vs on, etc.)

And I do have snowshoes, too.

Support your local brewer.
K
Kach Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I just picked up some Rossignol XC skis at the local thrift store. They look almost unused and came with some serviceable looking 3-pin bindings. I just need to find some boots then these should get me on the trail! I got some poles there too and I'm out $26...

I'm mostly planning on staying on the groomers with these - I'm pretty lucky to live near a few pretty extensive trail systems. I figure I ride these for a bit and upgrade when I know exactly what I want to do.

K
Kach Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I'm finding backcountry, cross-country, and telemark books when searching for 3-pin boots. Can these be used interchangeably with my 3-pin bindings?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In order of importance

1.Good Boots
2. Good Bindings
3. Skis

IC B2

K
Kach Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by BeanMan
In order of importance

1.Good Boots
2. Good Bindings
3. Skis

Agree with that - I'd spend a bit more coin for some decent boots if they will be compatible with my future gear upgrades...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
PM sent

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.