-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How and why does this reflect on SCI? Glad they caught thm, and it sounds like they got off easy. A bad outfitter, poor ethics of the hunters, etc... SCI was just one of those taken in by their lies.

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shortside
How and why does this reflect on SCI? Glad they caught thm, and it sounds like they got off easy. A bad outfitter, poor ethics of the hunters, etc... SCI was just one of those taken in by their lies.

That is most likely the case, especially since the SCI award was being presented around the same time as the offense occurred.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

You are right, SCI did not really do anything wrong, but you have to agree they were not happy to find their example of sportsmanship was something very different from what they thought.

And it embarrassed them.

As someone else mentioned above and I agree that giving awards to folks for globe-trotting to stack up trophies might just be a recipe for being embarrassed repeatedly. The entire award program stuff brings out the worst in folks.

And really does little to "honor" the animal.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458Win

That is most likely the case, especially since the SCI award was being presented around the same time as the offense occurred.

Absolutely.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not too big on the award stuff either. Agreed. SCI does a lot of good, and the title of the post tries to take away from SCI for no tractable offense.

It ticks me off that this kind of thing (game violations) EVER happens, regardless of who it is at the end of the violation.

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Not sure I agree with the concept the title tries to take away from SCI for no offense... They were embarrassed by awarding someone ABOUT TO get caught for being unworthy.

I am not suggesting, nor does the title, that SCI did anything particularly wrong... Simply that they were embarrassed by being associated with a negative newsmaker and had their good name brought under the microscope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hmmmm

should would be interested in hearing the nitty gritty on this gig if it ever comes to light.

like bearhuntr, I too am interested in the size of the bear. Have to wonder if it was an incredible specimen to make them feel like they had to take it that day. Must have been some incredible temptation involved???

But a traveling bear is just that, when they head out on a mission (for whatever reason only they and God know) they can boogie.

they eat ground at a stroll that I can't hardly keep up with in hurry up mode

wonder if they get to keep their name? lmao

kinda reminds me of buying a car from a dealer titled "Honest Ray's"

if you feel the need to put it in your title odds are there's a reason

my best guesstimate is one of the hired hands got let go and "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" but followed closely by an employee with an ax to grind

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oh and no offense to SCI members I agree their only part in this was gullibility

but as Jeff stated, it's what happens when you turn the sport of hunting into "who has the biggest schlong contest"

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hmmm... You sayin' the "Diana" awardee has a schlong? Is there a record book for that sort of thing?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The title of this thread should read, "Busted! Poacher Gets Egg on Face".

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Hmmm... You sayin' the "Diana" awardee has a schlong? Is there a record book for that sort of thing?

Alrighty, Rick can lock this one down.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The SCI has a long history of turning a blind eye toward illegal activity. If anyone has read George Schaller's book " Snow Leopard" you know that in it he lists the number of countries in which that the founder of SCI was wanted for needlessly slaughtering bands of rams in order that he would be sure of killing the absolutely largest.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I bet there's a-holes in every organization.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458Win
The SCI has a long history of turning a blind eye toward illegal activity. If anyone has read George Schaller's book " Snow Leopard" you know that in it he lists the number of countries in which that the founder of SCI was wanted for needlessly slaughtering bands of rams in order that he would be sure of killing the absolutely largest.

Will see if I can get a copy... That would be an interesting read...

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
What do you guys think about the SCI TV hunting show doing hunts on high fence/ semi-tame deer?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The hunting industry is very small and while some outfitters ensure their business success by being silent about indiscretions, there are always peripheral people involved so the facts slip out.

I was on review teams investigating trophy award applications and there are applicants I would not care to have as friends. When the award itself is the target, You will have your work cut out investigating the genuinely honorable.

Because checkbook hunting and trophy awards invoke status to some, awards were subdivided into Bronze, Silver, Gold or Diamond levels to keep the application fees and interest high as well as the endless backslapping and hero worship.

I have never scored my animals and I was a certified SCI scorer. I simply cannot put a measure on what is my own life's experience.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
What do you guys think about the SCI TV hunting show doing hunts on high fence/ semi-tame deer?

I think Mike Rodgers (the host) couldn't find his arse with both hands if not shown the way. SCI may do a lot of splendid things to promote and protect hunting - that's not one of them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Agreed.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I find to be a troublesome idea is the one of putting people on a pedestal for being ethical.

For one thing, on occasion being ethical is unlawful, Edward Snowdens situation comes to mind. Following game wounded on the last day of a season the next day is another situation that is perilous and creates not an ethical dilemma, but an unlawful ethical act.

Before someone suggests telling a warden before tracking, here in the west I have spent days trying to find a warden to talk to.

The Alphabet organizations have no choice but to be on the bandwagon for a lot of really bad ideas.

Instead of the current revenue maxing scheme, I wish game departments issued tags only for the number of animals that were surplus to the herd. The tag holder could make all the choices as to how they filled the tag. The quality of the experience would be the direct result of their choices.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

I like to watch hunting shows now and then but anytime you add that "High Fence" it is no longer hunting. I have had a few spats with clowns in Texas who claim this hunting ranch is huge and is not really a exotic farm....Show me the fence dude.

If it ain't fair chase, it ain't hunting! Simple!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,948
Posts18,499,003
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.