Campfire Tracker
B

The way life should be.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Screw him. I could stomach him going anywhere but to the Yankees.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ellsbury isn't worth $153M, $21.89M per year for seven years.

He's a thirty year old guy who depends on speed, not a power hitter. The BoSox actually learned something from their error of signing an older speed guy, Carl Crawford, to a high cost long contract. I think that not locking up nearly $22M per year on one guy who isn't a power hitter or a team leader was the right thing for Ben Cherington to do. The Yankees have deep pockets and can afford to overpay for talent.

Jeff

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Cherington says as much in the above quoted report that they will learn from the past and remember those mistakes (a la Crawford and Beckett to name two).

Getting these lower priced players with talent reminds me of the Belichick tactics from the early 2000s. The hot stove league is on now!

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Ellsbury isn't worth $153M, $21.89M per year for seven years.

He's a thirty year old guy who depends on speed, not a power hitter. The BoSox actually learned something from their error of signing an older speed guy, Carl Crawford, to a high cost long contract. I think that not locking up nearly $22M per year on one guy who isn't a power hitter or a team leader was the right thing for Ben Cherington to do. The Yankees have deep pockets and can afford to overpay for talent.

Jeff

I totally agree........

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
The Sox will find someone who is far better and who will play for less. Won't miss a beat.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
In one way I can't blame a guy for grabbing the money, but whatever happened to loyalty. I just can't imagine jumping to the hated arch rival. And yes he is not worth that kind of money. The Yankees are doing what they do best- buying a pennant because they have deep pockets and a lousy farm system. Maybe if the invested some of the money in the farm system they would have more home grown talent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How "loyal" would you be when offered $22 million for 7 years?

C'mon man........

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I would be loyal enough to never go there. ever.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ellsbury was WAY overpaid and for too long to boot. He would be stupid not to. I hate it there also, but he ain't gettin' that contract from anybody else.........

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just think, he can now afford to buy a couple of bricks of 22 LR.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was hoping Jacoby would stay with the Sox but also knew it was probably not going to happen. 7 years for $153m?? Wow, that's crazy money. Personally, I don't think this move makes the Yankees a pennant contender yet, they still need some pitching.

We need to get Napoli signed and find an outfielder to replace Elsbury. Pretty excited to see Bogaerts play next season, he looks to be the real deal.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you, Curt Flood.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
...no Fenway loyalty anymore....it's just show me the money. frown

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."
� Leo Tolstoy
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I was hoping Jacoby would stay with the Sox but also knew it was probably not going to happen. 7 years for $153m?? Wow, that's crazy money. Personally, I don't think this move makes the Yankees a pennant contender yet, they still need some pitching.

We need to get Napoli signed and find an outfielder to replace Elsbury. Pretty excited to see Bogaerts play next season, he looks to be the real deal.

Sox signed A.J. Pierzynski to a one year deal yesterday. Looks like Nap will be out of the picture.

I will miss Ellsbury. He was an exciting kid to watch. I'll always remember him stealing home off Andy Pettite. I think the Sox did the right thing. Jacoby's value will drop fast once he loses a little of his speed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess those damm Yankees didn't learn anything after signing gAy-Rod to a long term deal and then watching the wheels fall off the wagon as he hit his mid-30s..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Southerntier8

Sox signed A.J. Pierzynski to a one year deal yesterday. Looks like Nap will be out of the picture.

I will miss Ellsbury. He was an exciting kid to watch. I'll always remember him stealing home off Andy Pettite. I think the Sox did the right thing. Jacoby's value will drop fast once he loses a little of his speed.

I hate to see Napoli go even though he was inconsistent as a hitter, he still had some big moments for the Sox.
Pierzinsky is an interesting addition, he doesn't seem to be well liked by many players but all he cares about is winning so he should fit in nicely.

Elsbury spent a lot of time on the injured list and I don't really see that changing much with the way he plays outfield. I know the Sox are still interested in Beltran, if Victorino can get healthy they could play him in center, Beltran in right and Gomes/Nava in left.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Southerntier8

I hate to see Napoli go even though he was inconsistent as a hitter, he still had some big moments for the Sox.
Pierzinsky is an interesting addition, he doesn't seem to be well liked by many players but all he cares about is winning so he should fit in nicely.

Elsbury spent a lot of time on the injured list and I don't really see that changing much with the way he plays outfield. I know the Sox are still interested in Beltran, if Victorino can get healthy they could play him in center, Beltran in right and Gomes/Nava in left.

Ignore my brainfart above. I was getting Nap and Salty mixed up. I haven't eaten today and it shows. Napoli is still in the picture, Salty out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,421
Posts18,507,425
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.