Print Thread
Hop To
#8325103 12/06/13
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I'm looking for a light for my Tipi? It can be heavier than what you would backpack. Think car camping in this case mule packing. What is every one using? I'm a little behind on the latest stuff.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ed, how the hell are ya, my old bud, still alive and kickin'?

For ANY base camp, even just under a tarp strung from our trucks to nearby trees overnight, I have a large Coleman "mantle" lantern, burns propane. I have had this for close to 25 years and it runs flawlessly.

I also have an Optimus backpacking lantern, runs on butane or that "iso" whatever, weighes very little and is amazingly bright for it's size. I learned of this from "Nevada Dan" on Kifaru several years ago and I find it a really great rig in a tent or tipo.

Cabela's, USED to sell this rig made of heavy wire that looped around the tipi pole and stuck out over a foot, held a Coleman by the weight of it bearing on the end looped around your tent pole....naturally, I put off buying one and have not seen them in recent catalogues....

Anyway, these two plus two light rigs using plumber's candles are all I have/use and they do what I need.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Howdy Kute

Well I have coleman gas and propanes they still work and put out the needed light. I don't like the hiss and the refill hassle every night. I'm just thinking there must be an easier softer way for an old guy.
ps: Kute since we are the same age how long have we been using these antiques?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
round LED lights from the Walmart sporting section.They run on 4 a batteries .
Tim

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
These things are cheap & light enough to carry several and do a good job of lighting up a small tent. Use a couple for a larger tent. Available at Harbor Freight, Amazon, & many other places for around $3. The only drawback is that you need a small phillips screwdriver to change batteries (thank the Chinese idiots for that). They use 3 AAA's. The hook swivels & folds flat against the back. If you happen to have a steel pipe tent frame, they have a magnet in the back to stick to the pipe.
Use the big side lights for general lighting or push the button a couple more times to use the end light like a flashlight.
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Ed,

You are probably looking for more light than this but this is what I have been using. The Nite Ize Buglit:
http://www.niteize.com/product/BugLit.asp

Not only does it light your tipi, but wrapped on the tipi pole you have a 2- gun rack, one on each side.

My hillbilly brother Dan was the one that showed me the usefulness of these little lights.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W

This looks good, but I can't find where to buy one crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just hang an extra LED headlamp. Works great.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Black Diamond Lantern. Fine for backpacking or car camping

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I use a Snowpeak miners headlamp.It can be used as a headlamp or as a diffused tent light.Really ingenious. Snow peak

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think of the days of carrying a Coleman lantern to base camp with fuel, wicks, a spare glass bulb and having to be careful not to break the glass. I really appreciate the new technology. An LED flashlight with a diffuser like the one below can light up camp much better and on a single AA battery without regard to wind, rain, or an open flame if the lamp gets knocked over. Camp life has improved. I also now use this on backpack hunts and they will light up a tent or tipi.

[Linked Image]

I like the little Fenix E11 that runs all night on a single AA plus it is a great little waterproof flashlight with 115 lumens, but there are other similar lights that will work with this diffuser. I have tried other diffusers but this one works better than any others and they are cheap and durable. The diffuser is about $10 and the flashlight is $27. There are cheaper flashlight options.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whizbangdaddy

This looks good, but I can't find where to buy one crazy

Where have you looked? The Streamlight Seige is carried by most sporting good stores. There's always ebay.

The only thing I don't like about The Seige is that is uses D batteries.

I also use a Black Diamond (45 lum) when weight is an issue.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,077
Posts18,482,727
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.