Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
OK... Now I have more to say! :0
If you can afford 4 bikes, RC cars and planes, as in plural, and woodworking as well as dabble in backpacking & hunting, you can afford to buy exactly what you should.
You Need Swarovski EL's, a Zeiss spotter, and a custom built .338 Edge with a NF for open areas, and a lightweight .338-06 with a nice low power scope for the thick stuff. You should probably also get a custom knife as well! smile

All kidding aside, you gotten good advice.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
13 pages of overthinking your elk rifle. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The most important things I have had for any of my elk hunts is a permit in hand and an airline ticket.....I can figure out the rest but I ain't going anywhere without those.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Don't own them but read on here that the Leupold Yosemites are suppose to be decent binos for about $130

Yep, I've heard the same.

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BigNate
OK... Now I have more to say! :0
If you can afford 4 bikes, RC cars and planes, as in plural, and woodworking as well as dabble in backpacking & hunting, you can afford to buy exactly what you should.
You Need Swarovski EL's, a Zeiss spotter, and a custom built .338 Edge with a NF for open areas, and a lightweight .338-06 with a nice low power scope for the thick stuff. You should probably also get a custom knife as well! smile

All kidding aside, you gotten good advice.

Yeahhhhh. I'll run this one by the wife blush

Anyone interested in buying some RC cars and planes? grin

IC B2

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
13 pages of overthinking your elk rifle. smile

Ironic, isn't it? I thought the same thing last night crazy

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The most important things I have had for any of my elk hunts is a permit in hand and an airline ticket.....I can figure out the rest but I ain't going anywhere without those.

There's wisdom in those words right there smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Recruit: There's lots cartridges that work good on elk....the reason there is so much anguish and discussion. smile

We should give what we use some thought,of course,but concentrate on getting yourself there,shoot something reasonable, use good bullets and shoot straight,and you will be successful.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bingo!!

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
I didn't read a single post, including the authors original, but I can say with confidence the answer is "yes" to the original question.

Put your money into good boots and glass. The rest is just fluff.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I always thought glass was fluff. Still do.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I always thought glass was fluff. Still do.

That's silly talk.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Depends on how you hunt. I don't use any, so it's not absolutely necessary.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Underwear aren't necessary either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Recruit
Originally Posted by BobinNH

There's wisdom in those words right there smile

Bob is one of them guys that IMO, post useful, accurate info.

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Took the M77 on her maiden voyage to the range today. Or perhaps more accurately our maiden voyage. Anyway, shot about 50 rounds and bottom line is...I like! My relative graciously loaned me his Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9. Weather was a sunny 20F with low-medium wind.

Started at 25 to get the scope close, then to 50 and finally to 100. Everything went as expected until at 100 yards. Was shooting way left for some reason. Thought about adjusting windage but could tell something just wasn't right. How could I be right on at 50 and 8-10" left at 100? Looked through the scope again and noticed the cross-hairs were no longer horizontal/vertical. Sure enough a loose scope. frown Next time I'll be using blue loctite. Tighted it back down, took three shots, adjusted windage a smidge and I'm back in the ball park. Half dozen more shots into a 5" group and yes, it's apparent I have plenty of practice to do grin

Now the overthinking part. I know part of reason for the large group is me...no question. But the barrel was smokin hot at this point and also wondered about the early barrels on M77's with long throats.

For those than hunt only, do you go to the pains of bedding, trigger work, reloading at the appropriate OAL for your rifle, let the barrel cool, etc? I'm not looking for a competition shooter but at the same time want it accurate enough to consistently hit the boiler room on an elk and not wound it. Again, I have lots of room for improvement. The gun, maybe not so much...or maybe so?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Recruit

do you go to the pains of bedding, trigger work, reloading at the appropriate OAL for your rifle

Yes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes x2.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I already covered EXACTLY what you really SHOULD DO in order to obtain what was designed into your rifle. I suggest having this work done, buying a Leupy 4x and having it professionally mounted, THEN, shoot 3 shot groups and LET IT COOL completely between each group.

This, is NOT especially "difficult" and some here may disagree, but, this approach WORKS and will also keep your bore in good shape for the longest possible time.

BTW, did you CLEAN your rifle, thoroughly when you got home?

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank guys. I consider myself pretty handy so could likely do a few accurizing items myself leaving tougher ones for a gunsmith.

You know Kutenay, I intended to clean the rifle tomorrow as today has been a full day. However, after reading your post, I got off the couch and took care of it this evening. Thanks for the motivation smile

Last edited by Recruit; 12/07/13.
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 38 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.