Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
There's a few that are being auctioned off this weekend.
pre-64 7mm
pre-64 7x57
pre-64 7mm Mauser
M70 7x57

Damn, I wish I had an extra $6-$10,000.00 laying around...I don't think I'd buy one of those with it though....I just made my last purchase for a while now. Finally crossed the ones off the list that I really needed grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by tmitch
There's a few that are being auctioned off this weekend.
pre-64 7mm
pre-64 7x57
pre-64 7mm Mauser
M70 7x57

Damn, I wish I had an extra $6-$10,000.00 laying around...I don't think I'd buy one of those with it though....I just made my last purchase for a while now. Finally crossed the ones off the list that I really needed grin

What, you found a 64 and 65 already? wink

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Whitebird,
That is an interesting generic box at the top. Along with the pasted on "ALWAYS" sticker.
Congrats on your boxed guns.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if Teddy Rosevelt and all others who faced the 7x57 in battle thought it was "GAY".

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks mr Whitebird, My MIL bought Mr Rules book for my Christmas present 5-6 years ago, I have spent countless hours reading and rereading, I will look your gun up. We Winchester guys are lucky to have that book, very well done. very best

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Every winchester model 70 guy needs that book..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
For anyone looking for something to plink with, there's a Super Grade carbine in 250-3000 on (IIRC) Guns International.

All yours for $22,000 and change. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/08/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll be right on that Bob. Thanks!!!

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
OH, OH, I am not among the exalted ranks of "Winchester guys" as I refused to pay mucho buckos for the excellent tome by Rule.

I have owned only 43 P-64s, over about 47 years and have worn some silver packing them daily while working/living in some of the most remote real wilderness left in North America, but, I am kinda odd, anyway.....

WTF, guys, they are RIFLES, production ones at that and made to USE, not sit in safes and gather the moans and sighs of the "true believers".....

I know a guy here, a former guide and serious gun nut, he has a superb, full custom Mauser by Ralf Martini and it shows a subtle refinish to the knowledgable eye. I mentioned this when he showed me it some time ago at our club range....he just said, "yeah, it has been USED a lot"......it is absolutely gorgeous and my 1937ish Type B, Oberndorf, 9,3x62 is as well, with it's scars from Africa and this country.

My first and beloved Alaskan-.338, bought unfired, new, in January, 1968 shows some use, but, looks BETTER than when I first held it in my trembling 21 year old hands and the retired dealer said, Son, I know your parents, you just take it home and pay me as you can......

So, I guess we all have different concepts of beauty in guns,etc, eh.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kutenay
OH, OH, I am not among the exalted ranks of "Winchester guys" as I refused to pay mucho buckos for the excellent tome by Rule.

I have owned only 43 P-64s, over about 47 years and have worn some silver packing them daily while working/living in some of the most remote real wilderness left in North America, but, I am kinda odd, anyway.....

WTF, guys, they are RIFLES, production ones at that and made to USE, not sit in safes and gather the moans and sighs of the "true believers".....

I know a guy here, a former guide and serious gun nut, he has a superb, full custom Mauser by Ralf Martini and it shows a subtle refinish to the knowledgable eye. I mentioned this when he showed me it some time ago at our club range....he just said, "yeah, it has been USED a lot"......it is absolutely gorgeous and my 1937ish Type B, Oberndorf, 9,3x62 is as well, with it's scars from Africa and this country.

My first and beloved Alaskan-.338, bought unfired, new, in January, 1968 shows some use, but, looks BETTER than when I first held it in my trembling 21 year old hands and the retired dealer said, Son, I know your parents, you just take it home and pay me as you can......

So, I guess we all have different concepts of beauty in guns,etc, eh.

Guys, we should scrape our money together and buy ol kute a paperback version so he doesn't feel left out grin

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

YUP! smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I will add that the more rare and higher priced 'pre 64 is, the higher the chance is of a counterfeit rifle. This is not to imply that those offering them for sale are automatically "suspects". Some of these sellers may be unknowningly passing off rifles that have had subtle changes made to them to fit the rarity category. Some of these alterations have gotten very good and hard to detect.
There is a seller who I believe is still in business who has run the longest string of "looks test fired only" ads in the history of gun selling! He either has the keys to some unknown warehouse or he is, well..................let's say pretty optimistic.

All I know is as the price and rarity goes up, your "smell test" must get more intense. If you aren't sure you better have a second opinion - in person. If the seller doesn't offer a 3 day full refund - move on.
If you are looking at a supposed factory "Class X" modification, you almost need an accompanying letter or sales receipt to document it. Sightless or "Gopher Guns" probably do not apply unless you are told it is a genuine "GG" from Gopher Supply in Faribault MN..

Its all fun, but you must protect your investment.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/08/13.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I will add that the more rare and higher priced 'pre 64 is, the higher the chance is of a counterfeit rifle. This is not to imply that those offering them for sale are automatically "suspects". Some of these sellers may be unknowningly passing off rifles that have had subtle changes made to them to fit the rarity category.
There is a seller who I believe is still in business who has run the longest string of "looks test fired only" ads in the history of gun selling! He either has the keys to some unknown warehouse or he is, well..................let's say pretty optimistic.

All I know is as the price and rarity goes up, your "smell test" must get more intense. If you aren't sure you better have a second opinion - in person. If the seller doesn't offer a 3 day full refund - move on.
If you are looking at a supposed factory "Class X" modification, you almost need an accompanying letter or sales receipt to document it. Sightless or "Gopher Guns" probably do not apply unless you are told it is a genuine "GG" from Gopher Supply in Faribault MN..

Its all fun, but you must protect your investment.

Good post BW. I won't touch a real rare rifle with a 40 foot stick. I've been told things by some gunsmiths like, "If I can make a counterfeit, anyone can". That told me everything I needed to know!!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

YUP! smile

Yep, that's why I'm shooting mine just about every weekend. Always on the lookout for an awesome deal too. They are "tools", our hobbies, and some of ours passion...Yet, they are just production rifles and made to be USED!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

YUP! smile

It has to come down to the individuals choice. We can believe that the heart and soul of the rifle wants to be used as intended but who is going to dictate that? Certainly I enjoyed taking my '59 30-06 (97%)on two successful back to back elk hunts (cow & raghorn) but would I do that with a NIB boxed '55 Featherweight? Probablay not. But I will defintely use my half priced estate sale '60 .338WM on my next elk or AK. griz hunt. Some folks invest in coins, art, pottery, cars and firearms. Treasures are in the eye of the beholder.
Its all supposed to be fun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
To an intense collector, the act of seeking out the object becomes almost addictive until the item is found. Then the cycle starts all over again. Some search for deals but to others, money is no object. They will pay any price. That will give rise to a lucrative counterfeit market.
As one who has dabbled in the antique world, I know some real sad stories about those whose cherished items have been shown to be altered or repaired. Their greed for "the find" outstripped their need to be cautious.

The Rule and Whitaker books are excellent primers on Winchester history. But the more I read and look, the more I realize what I don't know! Books are great reference tools but unless you have hundreds of rifles pass thru your hands, you still aren't an "expert".

Having said all this, there are undoubtedly some great collections out there that will unleash some excellent pieces. Yes, when those widows sell off all those 'pre 64's, wouldn't you like to be the first one making the bid?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I HAVE had 100s of these rifles pass through my hands, many very rare ones and I would not even consider myself as any form of "expert"; however, I can recall a few incidences where I saved people from buying very good "fakes", back when I still would give assistance to those seeking specific guns.

There WERE quite a few of these, especially .338s, in BC, until quite recently, but, most of the older guys have sold theirs into the USA, although it is now very much a hassle to do this.

One can STILL find "deals" here, IF, you really DO know what you are doing, but, I have lost interest in getting more of them and most guys now do not seem to care and consider Classics to be "P-64s"....life goes on...... smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bigwhoop folks are certainly free to treat the rare one's like collectibles....part of what makes the entire pre 64 market fun....you never know what treasure trove you are going to bump into in the trading, buying etc.

Thankfully there are enough garden variety type rifles out there to keep the hunter-shooter types happy for quite awhile if they are so inclined.

Thankfully....not everyone loves them....there ain't enough to go around. smile

B
BJW Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
What would a shooter grade 7x57 be worth? The reason I ask is a local shop had one. 41 dated barrel (matches reciever date), Barrel cut to carbine lenght (it has a screw holding the front sight ramp on so I'm assuming it's cut) metal finished in a dull black (not sure of the coating but I don't believe it is paint. Someone did a nice job, it has a lyman receiver sght in factory holes, no extra holes but I imagine it's not collector material since it's been modified. I traded a S&W model 28 for it but have never really figured out what it might be worth = shooter grade.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cut barrel means the collectability went down the toilet. What you have is a "pre war" gun. Barrel stamping doesn't mean much after it's been shortened...

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,015
Posts18,500,331
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.