-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,259 of 1,842 1 2 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1841 1842
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We warmed up to -3 supposed to hit 9 today!

Jim, when are bibs considered gadgets? that is a good price on them.

yesterday I used a mr heater little heater cooker

had to or we woulda froze

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Northern Dave Thank you so much for this wonderful thread. I have been cruising the Campfire Forum for a year or so and had never really got into the Birth of your Deer Camp thread this week. This week has been our shotgun deer season. I hunted a couple of days then on Thursday it rained and I only hunted till about noon, and went down to the neighbors shop. (He gots a walk in cooler) His hired man has several friends who come down every year for gun season and we all kind of hang out in the evenings and do the usual deer camp things (eat well and once in a while drink a little too much. Any way we cut up the 5 deer that had been harvested. I went home about 2100 hrs to get ready for Friday hunt when we planned to drive my 100 acres. I got up around 0300 with a terrible ear ache that has kept me in the house for the past three days reading your thread. I have made it through 669 pages so far and since the ER Dr. says I have shingles in my left ear and most of the left side of my face
I have at leaast three or four more days to keep catching up. Once again Thank You, Mrs.ND and all the Chickenbuckers for a wonderful place to stop by.I plan on being by regularly. This has gotten so lengthy I will stop back and do a proper introduction later, for now I am going back several hundred pages and keep catching up

Bill

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Bill_55, welcome to fire, get cup of coffee and sit a spell. You will enjoy the conversation.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Welcome to the fire Bill. Shingles are the pits. Hope you can get rid of them in short order.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
welcome Bill, this thread doesn't do MR and Mrs northerndave justice, they are the finest hosts and friends anyone could ever hope for.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
how about that Vikes game? kinda boring til the 4th quarter. talk about swings! glad I stayed home to watch it. today is a LOT warmer than yesterday

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Great to have you here Bill_55. Sorry about the ear shingles. Welcome.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
how about that Vikes game? kinda boring til the 4th quarter. talk about swings! glad I stayed home to watch it. today is a LOT warmer than yesterday

Packers finally won one. Little over an inch of snow so far and it's been snowing since early this morning.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey Bill_55, I hope they get your meds correct for you right away. I have no experience but I have friends older than me and some have had bouts with shingles that are horrible an others say no problem. I think the medical advancements are remarkable for shingles but they still have to use the right meds. I hope they got yours correct right away.

Thanks for the nice words, if some of these rambling a can entertain somebody then that's great, makes me feel good.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wow I am up to page 819 probably won't take more than another year or so to catch up. Thanks for the good wishes on the shingles, never thought I would get them. I know they say people over 50 are prime candidates. I guess I just dodged them for 12 almost 13 years. Crappy part was I missed the last 2 days of gun season and we had 4 inches of good guiet walking snow.We don't often get many days like that here in S.East Ohio. Our gun season always starts the Monday after Thanksgiving. This year it only ran from the first to the eighth. I gan always get back out in the mornings for the 3 or 4 day muzzle loader season in Jan. I hunt gun season with a muzzle loader anyway, since we can't use rifles only shot guns, certain hand guns or muzzle loaders. I haven't usec the shotguns for 15 or 18 years. I did dig out a shoulder holster and carried a 629 Smith Classic on Thursday when we had monsoon rains.Well I am headed back to page 819 and keep trying to catch up. The Prednisone they put me on wires the heck out of me besides mightily screwing up my sugar so I probably can get in another 60 pages or so before I crash. Have a good one
Bill

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome to the 'Fire Bill. I'm a former Buckeye from the Youngstown area. Took a work transfer up here to Minnesota a long time ago and never looked back. You'll find Northern Dave and the Chickenbuckers to be a pretty darned good bunch of folks considering they're Jack Pine Savages and all talk kind of funny. If you get to the point you're eating Lutefisk and looking for Swamp Squids, you know you're an honorary Chickenbucker. (Dave's got some really cool Camp Chickenbuck T-shirts if you want to buy one.)

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Speaking of former buckeyes.... Did you see that football gophergunner? grin They choke and cause more fan heartbreak than the queen. laugh I can't say that I'm sad about it, though it was a fun game to watch.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Welcome Bill!

Sorry to hear about the shingles. That is something I hope I never have to expericence!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Jim, when are bibs considered gadgets? that is a good price on them.

It really is a good price for quality cold weather clothing. I put them on my Cabelas card where I get 2% back in Cabelas points.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Just bought the wife's Christmas present, 4 new tires. They get installed on Thursday. The old ones still had good tread, but they're 7 years old and the rubber compound has hardend to the point that they loose traction.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
She'll be impressed. grin

If I had a wife, I think I'd buy her a new snowmobile that I can use. grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well speaking of cold, I went out pheasant hunting in North Dakota Friday and Saturday. The warmest temperature we saw either day was -9. Hunted at -21 on Saturday and never got cold even once! There was 7 of us and none of us had a problem with cold either day. We dressed carefully and had good stuff and it just wasnt a problem. I wouldnt hesitate to hunt down to -30 if needed. After our first walk the first day at -15, I came back with my hat off and head steaming and had to take off some layers even! I wore 2 Smartwool long sleeve Tshirts, a light Smartwool sweater and a zip up sweatshirt. A facemask was essential and I wore a stocking hat over that, but more often than not, my head was sweating. I thought my feet might get cold, but Smartwool (sense a trend??) socks and 400 gram leather Danners was all that was needed.

Now I will say, there wasnt a lot of chatter around the trucks. We were either actively hunting or driving to a new area. Lots of birds seen and we got 32 in our 2 days. Dogs did great with a neoprene vest on. I did plug the Ford Super Duty in at night, but I think it would have started with no problems if I wouldnt have. All in all a great trip!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
This here baby, trying to come out (right now).

[Linked Image]

Coupla prayers and well wishes for the young couple wouldn't hurt.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
goodluck to mrs. Bangflop,bangflop and and CBFjr. ! Wishing all of you the best from here!! Prayers for healthy mama and baby.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I love me some Smartwool! That stuff works great. Sometimes too good, as you found out.

Page 1,259 of 1,842 1 2 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 16penny, 30 invisible), 1,923 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,270
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.